No announcement yet.

Oscar De La Hoya is pretty damn underrated now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
    Finally, a thread with integrity that makes sense. Any fighter who goes above and beyond to challenge themselves, fight in and fight out, I appreciate. Oscar was that type of fighter. If he was fighting in the 80's, he would've fought SRL, Hagler, Hearns, and Duran. FACTS. He would've lost all of them, but he would've at least gave the people what they wanted. All of the immature posts about him on here over the years don't mean ANYTHING. None of you idiots can take away who he was as a fighter. He beat Tito and he beat Mosley in the rematch. Prime for prime, he beats Mayweather, 10 out of 10 times. You see how many rounds an old, full-time promoter, part-time fighter, who was stuck in mud won against a PRIME Floyd, right? Imagine Oscar in his prime who could bounce and jab your neck off. You guys hate to admit facts but love to bash the wrong guys. Smh. That's the typical American for you. They are arrogant, egotistical, unappreciative, love controversy, don't like to admit when they're wrong, and they often root for the bad guy. It's sad really. Anyway, hats off to one of my favorite fighters, ever. He always fought the best nomatter what. He fought for the fans. The only fights he didn't fight that almost happened were, Wright and Forrest. He was In talks to face them both at one point or another. It doesn't matter though because at least we know the fights didn't happen because he was ducking. #saluteODLH

That's not a fact. He didn't fight professionally in the eighties or face any of those fighters. That's a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      He lost twice to Mosley so apparently not.

I don't think he ever would have beaten Pacquiao with no right hand.

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I doubt he beats Pacauaio either.
      I think versions that floyd fought, Oscar could beat.. Especially mosely

But yes, floyd has had much better longevity, and oscar wouldnt be able to cover the time period floyd did

Comment

It sure is the truth. Delahoya wanted no part of Ike Quartey until Ike was inactive and looked vulnerable in a previous fight with Jose Luis Lopez. To make things worse, Delahoya postponed the fight even further with a "cut" that never existed.

Prime Oscar wasn't locked in on fighting prime top fighters either. David Kamau, Camacho, and long past prime Chavez were cherry picks all the way.
        Vargas, Carr and Camacho already battered by Trinidad. (Especially Vargas)

First Mosley fight was considered an easy fight against a LW who had 2 fights at WW and didn't look great.

Obviously the Pacquaio cherry pick gone wrong.

Comment

First Mosley fight was considered an easy fight against a LW who had 2 fights at WW and didn't look great.

The mosely fight wasn't considered an easy fight going into it..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            The mosely fight wasn't considered an easy fight going into it..
            De La Hoya was just a 2-1 favorite going in.

Comment

I still think he's pretty overrated for the most part.

Good fighter obviously but lost to quite a few of his best opponents.

He also cherry picked more than people like to remember.

All his prime loses were competitive.
              Even his part time past prime loss to floyd. No doubt he beat and schooled tito

Comment

TV

One thing I remember about Vargas is that Delahoya was resolute about never fighting him. Oscar claimed he didn't want to give him the opportunity. But after Vargas was beaten up by Trinidad and looked bad against Wilfredo Rivera Oscar made the fight.

Details some people conveniently forget today.

Comment

I never said "Oscar is a cherry picker"

I said Oscar cherry picked more than people like to remember. Which is the truth.

Who I am and am not a fan of is completely irrelevant to that.

Thats kind of splittin hairs, but never the less i was referring to a tendency of a group not a specific individual. Please don't try to make a distinction about cherry pickers and having cherry picked....that would be on the order of peter picks a pickled pepper....

Seriously as said in the post: its a tendency of many modern fighters to pick a fight at a catch weight....to pick a time for the fight that is advantageous, its become part of the game.

Comment

TV

One thing I remember about Vargas is that Delahoya was resolute about never fighting him. Oscar claimed he didn't want to give him the opportunity. But after Vargas was beaten up by Trinidad and looked bad against Wilfredo Rivera Oscar made the fight.

Details some people conveniently forget today.
                    Who is forgetting?? No one is debating the point about cherrypicking, every fighter ever in history has done that..

Dudes will praise floyd, but then turn around and bash Oscar, with criticisms that more accurately applied to floyd..
                    I'm not trying to turn this into another floyd thread, but you and irondan always defend floyd, yet are bashing Oscar..

Some people seem to forget that it took floyd years to fight certain guys, and they were well past it when they did fight.. Cotto had been already wrecked by margarito and manny, yet God forbid Oscar fought vargas after tito..
                    Or Oscar only fought Ike after a long layoff, much like how floyd fought an inactive ancient shane that was 2-5 in his last 7 big fights prior to floyd..

You guys can't have it both ways.

But like I said, I don't want to turn this into another floyd thread, so that's all I will say about it

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Who is forgetting?? No one is debating the point about cherrypicking, every fighter ever in history has done that..

Dudes will praise floyd, but then turn around and bash Oscar, with criticisms that more accurately applied to floyd..
                      I'm not trying to turn this into another floyd thread, but you and irondan always defend floyd, yet are bashing Oscar..

Some people seem to forget that it took floyd years to fight certain guys, and they were well past it when they did fight.. Cotto had been already wrecked by margarito and manny, yet God forbid Oscar fought vargas after tito..
                      Or Oscar only fought Ike after a long layoff, much like how floyd fought an inactive ancient shane that was 2-5 in his last 7 big fights prior to floyd..

You guys can't have it both ways.

But like I said, I don't want to turn this into another floyd thread, so that's all I will say about it
                      its easy to qualify all the opponents of a fighter. i for one would take issue with the fact that Vargas was a destroyed fighter...yes he was roiding, but at the time it seemed like most people thought nando was up to snuff....so Oscar beats the snot out of him and suddenly, he is damaged goods. And we have all these reasons why mosley was a cherry pick, and we could do this for most fighters really.

I agree with you. And i say this as one who is on the fence with De la Hoya.

Comment

Working...
                      X