No announcement yet.

Khan/Judah struggling to sell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
    Ok so why make a big deal about him not making statements to the UK media then??Khan is not a big draw here,that's like Judah(who will be the reason most of the azz's are in the seats on the night)saying I'll keep everything from the gate because Khan is not a draw..It really just did not make sense to me..Not to mention this fight would have sold out in AC no doubt about it...
    A big statement? Amir's manager just reponded to a question from the press about Judah's refusal for interacting with the British press. Is that the big statement you're talking about? Judah refusing to talk to the British press at a conference call a couple of days ago?

It's kinda sad Judah can only sell well in his home city but can't sell even half as good just a couple of miles away from his home town. Khan, on the other hand sold 18,000 tickets when fighting a no-name in McCloskey.

Khan fans have to fly over to Vegas, mostly paying 700/800 dollars just for the plane ticket alone. That's an obvious big obstacle.

Attendance revenue isn't that significant anymore nowadays. The HBO purse is what it's all about. IMO, Judah definitely wasn't entitled to more than 45-55.

Comment

Its not like Judah is a huge draw in New Jersey either. He only had like 4,500 for his fights in NJ. If they put on an exciting fight then Khan's fan base will grow. It takes a long time to build a name in boxing.

Look at how long it took Manny, JMM, Mosley, B-Hop and guys like that to be stars. They were boxing 7-9 years before they became household names. It takes a while. I dont even think the first Roy Jones-Tarver fight sold out in Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by [Flomo]KLTP View Post
        I'm sure Golden Boy's mentality is that the more exciting/big fights Khan has in Vegas then eventually people will jump on the bandwagon and adopt him just like they adopted DLH.
        Exactly!! Problem is how much money can they afford to lose? Khan is no De La Hoya!!

Comment

I think GBP selecting Las Vegas over Atlantic City shows the farsight and long term investment that GBP has put into Khan. Richard Schaefer is a cunning old fox and in the short term a fight in Vegas may not attract as many people as it would in Atlantic City, But GBP is looking at the long term picture, Instead of having Khan fight in AC where he could easily have a decision go against him in favour of Zab Judah, GBP has been trying to assosiate Khan with Las Vegas and trying to get the British holiday makers and boxing fans to jump on the Khan/Las Vegas bandwagon.

Come to Las Vegas, Gamble, Get drunk, Get Laid, See Khan fight at the Mandalay Bay/MGM Grand and spend your money! Viva Las Vegas courtesy of GBP!

That is what GBP is trying to build Khan into, A British boxer that fights and headlines the best venues in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay and MGM Grand. GBP does not want Khan to have random fights all over the US but base Khan out of Las Vegas where they will keep him headlining and try to tap the British holiday makers market. This long term approach will make more money for GBP and Khan in the long term than one random fight in Atlantic City.

GBP should be praised for the long term investment and farsight not bashed!

Comment

thought khan was a draw??lol

Comment

The economy sucks, Vegas is very bad off right now, Zab is a has been who was over rated back when he was primed, and khan is from europe. Package that with HD tv and free streams. Its no shock that they can't sell tickets. U seen how many people have been going to baseball games? And baseball is ten times what boxing is in america, and they still can't get people to the games. The citizens are broke, till this ****ty economy starts rolling again, expect more of the same. Only sport selling **** out is football, and that's football for gods sake.
              Last edited by JoeDaWg; 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

shoulda been at the garden, promoters are so ****ing stupid smh

Comment

bradley doesn't deserve 50 percent against this guy?

Comment

i often wonder why Vegas for alot of fights, although i love going to vegas for fights, cheap and fun. BUT anyway. I went to Maidana vs Morales.....that fight should not have been in Vegas, NO WAY.
                    why not Mexico, puerto rico, or maybe even Argentina?
                    but they choose Vegas? just does not make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeDaWg View Post
                      The economy sucks, Vegas is very bad off right now, Zab is a has been who was over rated back when he was primed, and khan is from europe. Package that with HD tv and free streams. Its no shock that they can't sell tickets. U seen how many people have been going to baseball games? And baseball is ten times what boxing is in america, and they still can't get people to the games. The citizens are broke, till this ****ty economy starts rolling again, expect more of the same. Only sport selling **** out is football, and that's football for gods sake.
                      The Yank's are doing alright,Go Yankees!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X