Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the ref automatically stop a fight if you get knocked down, try gettin up but

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the ref automatically stop a fight if you get knocked down, try gettin up but

.....this happens:

and you fall down again?

Roach argued that this should have happened in the bradley-ruslan fight.

Roach

Provodnikov's trainer, Freddie Roach, believes Russell made a mistake in not ruling it a knockdown, or even stopping the fight, when Bradley fell after trying to get up. It has been Roach's biggest bone of contention from the fight.
    "When a guy gets up and falls down because his legs are gone, it's automatically stopped every time, automatically," Roach says. "There's no count, the ref stops the fight. When you see a guy get up from a knockdown and he loses his legs like that, and stumbles over and falls down, you can't let the fight continue. But he called the knockdown a slip because Ruslan was over him."

Bradley

Bradley contends the mistake was Provodnikov's. "I was stepping in to try and grab ahold of Provodnikov," he says. "When I stepped underneath him, he used his elbows and pushed me down.
    "If he would have stepped back, I would have fell on my own, it would have been a knockdown," Bradley says. "The fact he used his elbow and forced me down, the ref called it a slip and not an official knockdown because that's what happened, even though I was hurt."
    While Roach thought the fight should have been stopped, Bradley says he hasn't seen a rule that said falling down a second time should have ended the fight.
    "I'm not a ref, but when I dropped, it was a slip. It was called a slip. What do you do when the first knockdown is a slip? Then I get up and fall. What do you do? Call it?" Bradley says. "He never counted. There's really no rule in the rule book that states if something like that happened. It is basically the ref's call."

Because Bradley was defending his WBO welterweight champion, he feels he deserved the benefit of the doubt.
Working...
X