Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Style Has Troubled Counterpunchers Historically?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Style Has Troubled Counterpunchers Historically?

Where do counterpunchers fit into boxing's rock-paper-scissors equation: boxer > slugger > swarmer > boxer?

Are their cousins the "boxers" with long jabs the ones to do it?

Leonard punked Benitez with the jab. Floyd punked Marquez with the jab. Dawson beat Bernard, extremely pass prime, by keeping it a ranged fight.

conventional wisdom says you fight/brawl a boxer. If you can get inside up in the chest of a counterpuncher and work the body and uppercut, you stand a better chance.

Long Reach is rare commodity, especially at the lower weights. Not too many fighters have the reach to fight effectively on the outside.

Comment

Pure boxers who are faster than they are, get off their punches quicker, using footwork and forcing them to lead

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
        Pure boxers who are faster than they are, get off their punches quicker, using footwork and forcing them to lead
        good movement, jab ,defence

Comment

Volume punching had always seemed to me to be effective. And that's Not power punching brawlers I'm thinking of but goes going for volume and also not giving them enough room to get good power behind their counters. Two good examples of guys who gave James Toney, a master counter puncher, issues with this style are Vassiliy Jirov Dave Tiberi.

Here are the fights on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCapKpQ8dYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpSFFyQZXx0

Comment

Counterpunchers give counterpunchers the most trouble. Fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
              Counterpunchers give counterpunchers the most trouble. Fact.
              That would be my observation as well.

Comment

The best thing to do against an excellent counter puncher is to just wait and make them become the aggressor and make them attack first. While it might not be the most exciting fight to watch it will take the counter puncher out of his comfort zone and makes them play your game instead of you playing theirs. I liked to counter punch the counter punchers, make them the aggressor.........Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 08-01-2012, 08:02 PM.

Comment

troubled them?

other counterpunchers.

somebody's gotta lead.

Comment

I remember Larry Holmes coming back to his corner complaining about a certain fighter being good at countering his jab with the right hand and Holmes corner simply replied, "well ... counter his right hand" And Holmes did just that!

I have seen several styles trouble pure counter punchers,

Volume punching can but more importantly putting your punches together. I mean throw combinations rather than one punch. Most counter punchers would rather not get hit and this keeps him thinking about defense.

Making them lead and/or counterpunching them. It throws them off their game and leaves them open. The best example I can think of is Chris Byrd who was a very sucessful counterpuncher. But when guys like Golota and Oquendo made him lead it exposed a flaw in Byrds game.

My favorite is the all around boxer that is good at feinting. A good feinter with speed can completely mess up a good counter puncher that finds himself countering a punch that isn't there.
                    Last edited by TBear; 08-02-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X