No announcement yet.

Kovalev would brutally KO Roy Jones JR prime for prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
    LOL@ Kovalev being slow on his feet. While he isn't as fleet-footed as your midwestern/east coast African-american fighters, he is by no means slow on his feet. Have you been asleep during his fight against Hopkins and the way he moved in and out? Hopkins was ready to put a Kelly Pavlik beat down on him but the way Kovalev stepped back out after every combination, Hopkins was forced to reset. Even B-Hop (who I am a big fanboy off, I sported his picture for years on my avatar) wasn't arrogant enough to say that his age or other factors played a role. He admitted what Kovalev did was the major factor in why he lost.

In fact, Kovlev dominating Hopkins (albeit, a lot older but still he wasn't shot) makes a bigger case for him having a shot against RJJ, then any of RJJ's wins. If he simply got a split decision like Calzaghe, Jermain Taylor or even Dawson, I would agree but he owned HOpkins. WE KNOW how good RJJ is, so it's a moot point pointing out his key victories.
    Chad Dawson also owned Hopkins, Chad Dawson wouldn't have had a chance against Roy either.

Comment

JUST STOP!!! KOV. couldnt KO 50 year old hopkins.....and Roy Jones was x50 better than Pascal

Jones Jr in his prime would destroy KOV.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Shmurda View Post
        If u are gonna make excuses for HOF fighters getting doninated, there is really no point in debating u. That same James Toney that Roy beat, would dominate Kovalev. He's simply not that caliber of a fighter.
        That James Toney lost to Montell Griffin twice! James managed to lose some fights in his prime because of weight issues...

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
          He doesn't just punch hard though, he is by common consensus the hardest pfp puncher in the sport of boxing today, and there are a lot of boxers out there.

It's not just about power, but at times Kovalev's power seems other-worldly. He's breaking opponents ribs with jabs, dropping them with innocuous looking shots, and KO-ing guys who are known to be very durable.

David Jackson back in 2013:

That kind of power makes him live in any fight.
          I think common consensus is that GGG is the hardest p4p puncher in boxing today. 91% vs 85% KO. I mean, 85% puts Kovalev in line with Matthysse.

Also, here is Kovalev getting taken to school by Korobov at an age where Roy Jones was already a world Champion.

If this was an international competition, the fight would have been stopped as uncompetitive, at 20 point margin.
          Last edited by !! Shawn; 03-30-2015, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
            I think common consensus is that GGG is the hardest p4p puncher in boxing today. 91% vs 85% KO. I mean, 85% puts Kovalev in line with Matthysse.

Also, here is Kovalev getting taken to school by Korobov at an age where Roy Jones was already a world Champion.

If this was an international competition, the fight would have been stopped as uncompetitive, at 20 point margin.
            KO% is deceiving. Doesn't take into account opposition, chin quality of opposition etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonBoxing View Post
              I'm going to do a little test with you. See if you are judging boxers based on actual eye test or judging them based on 'other' things.

Prime Lewis vs Prime Wlad who wins?
              Prime Ali vs Prime Vitali
              Prime Spinks vs Kovalev
              Prime Bowe vs Prime Povetkin
              Wlad Vs Lewis is a pick-em fight. Either guy can do to the other what Rahman and Sanders did to them, except it won't be a accidental but a skillfully landed punch. Neither guy can actually dominate or outbox the other. Both have earned that much.

Prime Ali Vs Prime Vitali, a pick em fight. Ali will find it that he hasn't faced anything as big and as skillful as a Vitali or Wlad in his prime. And he better be in his Tip-Top 1960's, floating like a butterfly, on the bicycle prime, or else he really will lose. Vitali doesn't even have to be at his best and he can still crank out dominant wins while Ali has shown that he couldn't once he fell off.

Kovalev knock spinks out.

Bowe defeats Povetkin by a Unanimous decision.

Comment

Chad Dawson also owned Hopkins, Chad Dawson wouldn't have had a chance against Roy either.
                Chad Dawson didn't own nothing. He got a decision. It was a low out put fight and Hopkins retained his status as a guy who makes it hard to look good against. And we know what happend to Chad post-hopkins. He hasn't been the same since.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Didn't Kovalev have trouble beating Darnell Boone in their first fight and was knocked down by Blake Caparello as recent as 2014?
                  Yes, and nobody was making a claim that Kovalev is perfect. He doesn't have the moniker of "Mr. Untouchable".

Also Hopkins at 50 years old lasted the distance with Kovalev. Granted he got beat up, but he lasted 12 when people said he'd get killed.
                  It doesn't matter what people said. In hindsight, you can spin it like that all you want. The fact that he dominated Hopkins speaks volumes. A Ko would have just been icing on the cake. But I think him not Ko'ing Hopkins makes him look even better. Knocking Hopkins out on top of dominating him would have put the focus more on how shot B-Hop was, rather then how good Kovalev was that night. In the end, Kovalev got what he wanted and Hopkins preserved his status as a guy who cannot be knocked out by anybody, no matter who it is.

Comment

Originally posted by j.one View Post
                    Prime Jones doesn't even lose 30 seconds of the fight, you kidding me this guy is a bum.
                    Come on man, Kovalev is not a bum.

Originally posted by JasonBoxing View Post
                    Roy was just too fast for Kovalev. Easy UD for Roy. Changed my mind.
                    lol that was always your opinion, you just wanted people to say Jones would win.

Kovalev's real percentage is 89%, one guy feigned injury. There were a bunch of polls on here recently about who hits harder, Kovalev won them.

Amateurs 11 years ago, at middleweight. Kovalev is made for the pro game.

This is a joke. Kovalev is nowhere near Roy Jones calibur. If Hopkins could play keep away all night at 50 years old, Roy Jones in his prime would not have a problem.
                    Hopkins was stuck in the corner all night.

Comment

Not a chance. But I wouldn't mind if the TS passed me some of whatever he had before creating this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X