No announcement yet.

I'm usually a fan of the sweet science, but that wasn't it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sicko View Post
    Lara should have stayed in the Pocket a bit and countered, where the hell was the left uppercut and the straight left, he fought too damn safe. He could have really ran away with this fight IMO.

When you make people miss at least COUNTER don't just Circle and walk around the ring, Lara did TOO MUCH OF THAT when he could have been countering and tagging the hell out of Canelo after making him miss BADLY
    I agree with this 100%, but you can't really count that against him when Canelo did nothing. I don't know why he played it so safe when he clearly had the opportunity to punish Canelo severely.

Comment

Lara is not a classic boxer, he doesn't "construct" anything in the ring if that makes sense, he just waits for opportunities to throw his left hand. Effective but very limited.

Comment

It was actually a weird fight where its like, "Okay, Lara clearly won that round in boring fashion, but the judges are going to give it to Canelo."

Comment

Originally posted by WARQUEZ View Post
          Haters. Lara wasn't running, his footwork was beautiful to watch. Those dodges felt like I was watching the matrix. I would rather watch that any day of the week than excessive hugging.
          Folks! THis is whats wrong with our sociaty.
          "his footwork was beautiful to watch"
          you are a complete blithering idiot.
          i'm thinking about nominating you for a Darwin Award.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
            I agree with this 100%, but you can't really count that against him when Canelo did nothing. I don't know why he played it so safe when he clearly had the opportunity to punish Canelo severely.
            He played it safe because Canelo's punching power bothered him. You don't run from a guy like that if his punches aren't affecting you. Lara isn't dumb, he knew running like that was giving rounds away but he didn't want to stay in the pocket.

Comment

Lara was boxing beautifully for the first 3 rounds...that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
                I think Saul's punching power is over-stated but I do believe it had Lara phased.
                Lara has a strong midsection, he usually accepts bodyshots and takes them well because it's part of his style, but tonight was different. His abysmal workrate and the expression on his face between rounds...Canelo's power definitely bothered him. It's not like Angulo who tried to overwhelm him with volume, Canelo was planting his feet and landing hard accurate shots.

Originally posted by War Dinamita View Post
                The real sad part is Lara is so skilled and talented that he doesn't have to do that. He could've won the fight by putting on a boxing clinic.
                Nah I think he did the best he could, Canelo is just a quality fighter who's up there with him on a technical level.

Comment

Originally posted by IIG View Post
                  I totally agree. This was running. People abuse what running is, but this is a textbook example of it. You just don't win by doing that ****.
                  I agree 100%

Lara was just moving around after the 4th round and not really throwing any punches in return. He would stop moving and then lay on the ropes looking like he was going to try and counter but he would let Canelo get off combinations and then he would just pivot out

I kept yelling at the TV why aren't you throwing punches back? you can't win rounds by just moving, I don't care if Canelo is missing 90% of his punches, at least he's throwing **** at you

Did you guys also notice that Lara did hardly any counter punching in this fight? Like, I can't even remember him landing a single counter except maybe counter jabs early in the fight

I picked Lara to win and I didn't see him win

Comment

Fight was a draw. I think his movement was fine, it was his lack of punching that was the problem. Chris Algieri used movement just as much but when you're not punching a whole lot you're gonna have a tough time winning rounds.

Comment

Ineffective outboxing on the part of Lara. Canelo had way more range. He was going to the body, pumping the jab, good stamina+pace, cutting off the ring and having Lara second guess his own counterpunching ability.

Lara was cringeworthy tonight. He didn't really produce much of anything. I don't understand how he "took Canelo to school" when he was hardly cranking out the big numbers that are usually the deciding factors in who commands the action. I hope he never fights on ppv again.

Comment

Working...
                      X