Nick Blackwell Slams Chris Eubank Jr. For Holding Press Conference

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Blackwell Slams Chris Eubank Jr. For Holding Press Conference

EXCLUSIVE By DAN SALES

Nick Blackwell blasted the pair for holding a press conference against his family’s wishes while he was battling for life in hospital — saying: “It’s inhuman.”

Furious Nick, 25, was giving his first interview since the punishing clash that ended his career.

And he took a swipe at Chris Eubank Snr, who was in his son’s corner for the fateful fight.

He declared: “If I could have one more knockout shot, I’d love to land it on the jaw of Chris Eubank.”

Nick has made a near-full recovery, but said that the wounds left by the actions of the Eubanks will last forever.

Last night Chris Eubank Jnr defended them, saying: “People deserve our side of the story.”

Nick told The Sun: “I haven’t any hard feelings about the fight because you’re in there to win and try and hurt someone — it’s just the stuff he has done after. It’s inhuman, it’s disgusting.

“They were trying to make themselves look like the good guys when they are the opposite.

“My family and friends were begging them not to talk, but they ignored it.

“I’ve only just been shown the press conference and I know exactly what happened. It isn’t human what they’ve done.

“They were grabbing as much attention as they could.

“I was still in a coma but they went ahead and did it.

“That’s the Eubanks, isn’t it? They just want attention, no matter if it’s a bad or a good thing.”

Nick developed a swelling on the brain during his bout with Chris Eubank Jnr on March 26.

The fight at Wembley Arena was halted in the 10th round after a horrific lump appeared over Nick’s left eye.

He was taken to hospital where doctors put him in a coma. Three days later the Eubanks held their press conference.

When Nick woke from his coma he sent friendly tweets to Eubank Jnr. But he hit the roof after seeing footage of the event.

He said: “If Chris Jnr was in a coma and I wanted to do a press conference on the Tuesday and their family was begging me not to do it, I would not do it.

“My promoter was begging Chris Snr. The Boxing Board of Control rang him and begged him not to do it.”

Chris Snr, 49, claimed he told his son to go easy on Nick, saying he “had the fight won” and ordered the lad to focus his punches on the body rather than the head.

But Nick insisted: “The people who saved my life were the referee, the person who put me in the coma and the people at St Mary’s Hospital. The Eubanks didn’t save my life.

“Chris Jnr was asked later if he’d pick the belt or my health. He refused to answer.

“I’m not being funny but someone’s health and life is more important.

“The night of the fight he went partying. He was celebrating. You’ve won the title, fine, you can go out and celebrate.

“I would have wanted to go to the hospital and be by his side until he woke up.”

Medics had to drill a hole into Nick’s skull to reduce the swelling.

His injury was so serious it would prove fatal if he were to box again and he was forced to retire.

Nick, of Trowbridge, Wilts, is weak down his left side and said he initally could not walk after the coma.

He revealed: “I thought I was in a deep dream. I wanted to die. I was in so much pain.

“I haven’t watched the fight yet but want to. I remember parts of it quite vividly but the end is all a bit of a blur.

“I’ve changed my way of thinking of life now. I feel lucky to be in this position and I’m progressing every day.

“Whatever I do, all the hard work and commitment I’ve put into the boxing I’ll put into that. And I’ll succeed in whatever I do.

“With my family, all they were thinking about was my health. They don’t care about boxing - they just want to make sure I’m happy and healthy.

“I’ll recover 100 per cent but I won’t ever go back into boxing because I’ve had that injury and there’s a higher risk now that I could go back into that state.

“I’m only 25 - I’ve still got my whole life to live now. I feel blessed.”

Chris Eubank Jnr told The Sun: “People and media demanded that we speak to them. If we had just said ‘No comment’ it would have come off as cold.

“If he was in our position he would have done the same thing in terms of making his side of the story known.”

Eubank Jnr, 26, said it was pretty clear from feedback that 95 per cent of the public were happy with the way he conducted himself.

He continued: “If Nick is part of the small percentage that took offence, that’s unfortunate. It’s sad for me to hear something like that.” He insisted that neither he nor his father said they saved Nick’s life.

He added: “All I have ever wanted for Nick has been the best.

“The fight was all the publicity that was needed. It was a great British tussle and such a shame it ended like that. Anything that happened after that was not for our gain.

“People deserve our side of the story and our perspective on things — that’s all it was.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-Snrs-jaw.html

Yes
    33.33%
    No
    66.67%
    Not sure/Maybe/Other (explain)
    0.00%

Blackwell's denying that he made the KO statement.

Anyway, what was the press conference about? Wasn't it just that Blackwell was doing well. I don't see what's the big deal.

Blackwell just using Jnrs name to stay relevant and get some cheap tabloid press.

Comment

Just more pathetic behaviour from Blackwell.

He, and his entourage, acted like scum throughout the build up and the fight itself, yet the Eubank's remained dignified and classy.

The only c*nt behaviour was on the Blackwell end.

Comment

Nick Blackwell is pathetic

Comment

Working...
        X