No announcement yet.

Would any of todays top 122 pounders have a chance against Wilfredo Gomez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    I agree Rigo and Nonito have a shot...they have a better shot than a lot of guys who campaigned at 122

Erik Morales is the only modern junior featherweight who'd be even money in my book

Barrera and Morales are joined by the hip because of their rivalry but although Barrera had the edge in their series, Morales was able to overcome fighters that Barerra couldn't at 122 and other weights like Pacquaio and Junior Jones...Barrera was susceptible to power punchers who threw good straight shots ala Marquez, Morales, Jones, and Pacquaio....Morales had the chin, punch varience, height and reach to push Gomez or even beat him IMO
    I agree, if we're stretching back 15 years or more, then Morales, stylistically probably is a great opponent for Gomez, possibly a win. Pacquiao definitely wins at that weight imo.

In terms of Barrera, stylistically he does struggle against guys like Gomez but, on a bit of a side note, I'd rank MAB higher than Morales.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      I agree, if we're stretching back 15 years or more, then Morales, stylistically probably is a great opponent for Gomez, possibly a win. Pacquiao definitely wins at that weight imo.

In terms of Barrera, stylistically he does struggle against guys like Gomez but, on a bit of a side note, I'd rank MAB higher than Morales.
      122 Pac was wreckless and hadn't developed his right hook, and his punch selection was very repetitive....Also Pac being a sucker for Bazooka's best punch, he'd probably get sparked out

Its hard to rank Barrera over Morales win Morales may not have won their close series but he beat guys that Barrera couldn't.

I rate Morales higher.....for example Tarver is 2-1 over Jones but Jones rates much higher and beat better fighters than Tarver

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        122 Pac was wreckless and hadn't developed his right hook, and his punch selection was very repetitive....Also Pac being a sucker for Bazooka's best punch, he'd probably get sparked out

Its hard to rank Barrera over Morales win Morales may not have won their close series but he beat guys that Barrera couldn't.

I rate Morales higher.....for example Tarver is 2-1 over Jones but Jones rates much higher and beat better fighters than Tarver
        I agree especially since past prime fat Morales went up and faced Chino and Danny at 140 and gave them all they could handle, no way MAB lasts a Chino onslaught.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
          I agree especially since past prime fat Morales went up and faced Chino and Danny at 140 and gave them all they could handle, no way MAB lasts a Chino onslaught.
          Barrera gets a lot of credit for beating Morales and Hamed but there is drop off in his level of comp after those guys

I agree Chino and Danny would have decapitated Barrera

Comment

I would take Gomez over any 122 pounder today..

Rigo is the obvious big matchup, but Gomez would find his chin

The real question is what would the Gomez that moved up vs Sanchez look like vs today's feathers like Santa cruz, lomachenko, Russell jr, Walters from a year ago..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              I would take Gomez over any 122 pounder today..

Rigo is the obvious big matchup, but Gomez would find his chin

The real question is what would the Gomez that moved up vs Sanchez look like vs today's feathers like Santa cruz, lomachenko, Russell jr, Walters from a year ago..
              Sanat Cruz gets stopped, too easy to hit

Lomachenko has skills but idk about his chin

Walters is really big guy

kinda why I did the match ups at his best and prime weight...He wasn't at his best at 126

Comment

Working...
              X