No announcement yet.

Best light welterweight of all-time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    I do. PEDs or no, Pacquiao has fight changing power at every weight he's fought at. Chavez may have an incredible chin, but he would feel Pacquiao's punches. I just don't think any fighter that doesn't have a ridiculous size advantage will outfight Pacquiao.
    Pacquiao has no inside game, its not difficult to outfight him there. Not to mention he is very open when forced against the ropes. And Chavez was one of the best ever at cutting off the ring and effectively taking the fight to close range, not to mention his ability to open up a generic guard with a variety of punches to the head and body...

I see Pacquiao dicing up Pryor(in a war for however long it lasts), but Chavez is a totally different type of fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
      Pacquiao has no inside game, its not difficult to outfight him there. Not to mention he is very open when forced against the ropes. And Chavez was one of the best ever at cutting off the ring and effectively taking the fight to close range, not to mention his ability to open up a generic guard with a variety of punches to the head and body...

I see Pacquiao dicing up Pryor(in a war for however long it lasts), but Chavez is a totally different type of fight.
      I think Pacquiao is underrated at keeping his opponents from ever getting inside enough to punish him there, and I believe he would do so enough to beat Chavez. Usually when you see Pacquiao up against the ropes getting punched, it's because he is taking a break, which would be dangerous against Chavez.

It's a fight where I give a lot of credit to how good Pacquiao is at punching and moving, whereas others may not feel he does so good enough to curtail Chavez I think he would. It's not like Chavez was his absolute best at 140 either, whereas I would say Pacquiao was.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        I think Pacquiao is underrated at keeping his opponents from ever getting inside enough to punish him there, and I believe he would do so enough to beat Chavez. Usually when you see Pacquiao up against the ropes getting punched, it's because he is taking a break, which would be dangerous against Chavez.

It's a fight where I give a lot of credit to how good Pacquiao is at punching and moving, whereas others may not feel he does so good enough to curtail Chavez I think he would. It's not like Chavez was his absolute best at 140 either, whereas I would say Pacquiao was.
        The only punch that Pacquiao throws when being pressured is his counter right hook. its a good punch no doubt, but I cant remember Chavez getting hit with that kind of a shot once during his career, his crouching pressure usually just ducked right under it.

And although I think Chavez was a bit better at 135 too, his combination punching and ring smarts were still definitely there at 140lbs, unless were talking about him against Randall or something. but he spent a number of years at 140lbs.

Chavez just seems like a bad style matchup for Pacquiao's weaknesses.
        -Open against the ropes, Chavez is one of the best ever at cutting off the ring.
        -Doesnt fight well off the backfoot, Chavez constantly pressured effectively.
        -Open to body shots and fights in bursts, Chavez was one of the best body punchers ever.
        -Uses a generic guard thats not too hard to get around, Chavez's combination punching was excellent at mixing up shots to the head and body to open up a defense.

Comment

Working...
        X