Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing is hard to sell as it is. Lara and Rigo do it to themselves.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mortal7 View Post
    Boxing is hard to promote as it is as it's no longer mainstream. People want excitement, they want KO's. What they don't want to see is excess running or clinching. What Rigo and Lara fans don't realize is that they do it to themselves in terms of not being able to get big fights. Lara had his chance against Canelo and ran the whole fight. I understand the sweet science aspect but he straight up ran. If Rigo was more offensive minded instead of holding anytime he thinks he's gonna get hit he would get big fights. That's why he is fighting in Japan with his boring style. I don't justify people ducking these dudes but part of them are to blame. No one wants to see a boring fight.
    I understand your problem with Lara,but don't bunch rigo in there with him. He's one of the few pure boxers out there that don't clinch like crazy, unlike mayweather,ward,and Hopkins,and actually use movment to dodge punches,not run. He exchanged with donaire,which people thought he wouldn't do,and he still made donaire back up and run. He's doing pretty good for himself,getting paid 500,000 dollars to fight in Japan,while being viewed on Japanese TV by an audience of 42 million. As for not being offensive minded, did you watch his last fight? He gets dropped,gets back up and goes on to break the guys jaw and orbital bone,and stop it in the 11th. Or do you just want to see him end up like gamboa,embarrassing himself,and getting ktfo,only serving as a highlight reel for another boxer. Let him keep doing what he's doing,and if the other champions in his division want to keep ducking him,using the excuse that his style is boring,so be it. When they grow a pair,he's open to unifying with any of them.

Comment

Remember when he was the main event on hbo and people left before his fight?

yeah...about that.

They have a great style for the amateurs, but not the pros. Rigo is more entertaining than Lara imo, but that's not saying much.

Comment

The thing about him though is he's a volume puncher so he can get away with it. If his punch output was low it would be more obvious.

LOL

volume puncher my arse...

He's a volume clincher and runner.

Comment

There are good fights out there for Rigo. Guys just have to step up. In fact, Rigo's last fight was entertaining.

I would like to see Frampton, Santa Cruz, and Kiko Martinez challenge Rigo. Those should be good fights. The beauty about boxing is the contrasting styles. It's not for everyone though.

I was disappointed by Lara's effort against Canelo. I felt he could've done more.

Comment

Actually their styles can be very marketable if they're matched up correctly

Donaire vs Rigondeaux was Boring? I did not think so, also the ratings was strong for that match up on HBO.

Stop matching up with OVERRATED FIGHTERS who lack skills and you won't get BORING MATCH UPS. Get somebody who can box as well and MOVE AS WELL AS THEY CAN!

When you match them up with unskilled flat footed slow fighters you get a boring struggle in which 1 Guy is doing what he wants while the other guy is struggling to land a clean punch because he doesn't have the Skills or Athleticism to Keep Up!

Boxing is more so about STYLISTIC MATCH UPS than it is wanting everybody to FIGHT THE EXACT SAME WAY and just ignore their Fundamentals they've learned since Amateurs and just throw wildly until somebody goes down...THAT IS NOT BOXING!

Put Lara in with Demetrius Andrade and I guarantee you will see 2 Talented Guys Bring The Best Out Of Each Other! Also think Frampton vs Rigondeaux would be an outstanding chess match because Frampton does have some skills. Rigondeaux vs Leo Santa Cruz would have been boring though because it would have been a complete mismatch in styles IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Pepper View Post

LOL

volume puncher my arse...

He's a volume clincher and runner.
              He does run and clinch. I'm not arguing that. He can hide it more than Rigo and Lara with is output. That's why he can get away with it more. If he threw one punch at a time and held it would be more obvious.

Comment

It doesn't help that Lara cant speak English and isn't American. Hes style just isn't pleasing to the casuals.

lmfao trying to market him as "the American dream"

Comment

He will continue to whip ass (rigo) and santa cruz will either move up and never fight him while Rigo will be king of his weight class something the mexican "warrior" will never be able to say until he fights him. Point blank.

Comment

He does run and clinch. I'm not arguing that. He can hide it more than Rigo and Lara with is output. That's why he can get away with it more. If he threw one punch at a time and held it would be more obvious.
                    Not true...and you know it.

Dude stabs and grads...then scurries away.

Lomechenko holds and runs MORE than Lara and Rigo and does not throw more than either guy.

You can stop lying whenever you like.

Comment

Originally posted by fish262 View Post
                      It doesn't help that Lara cant speak English and isn't American. Hes style just isn't pleasing to the casuals.

lmfao trying to market him as "the American dream"
                      I don't think if they knew english or being an american would them. Ward is American and speaks English but no one cares about him.

Comment

Working...
                      X