Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter’s condition worsens

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter’s condition worsens

http://http://www.torontosun.com/201...dition-worsens

Rubin “Hurricane” Carter, the boxer wrongfully convicted of murder, is fighting prostate cancer.

Carter was diagnosed with cancer in 2011 and was given 3-6 months to live, but the frail 76-year-old is still fighting the disease.

"It's hard to look at him like this," his friend John Artis told the New York Daily News from their Toronto home.

Artis, a co-defendant with Carter in a 1966 triple murder in Paterson, N.J., said the terminal illness has reduced the former fighter to just 90 pounds, spending most of the day in bed.

"I have this helpless sensation there's nothing I can do other than make him as comfortable as possible," said Artis, 67, Carter's caretaker for the last two years.

Carter moved to Toronto in 1985 shortly after a judge overturned his murder conviction. He often spoke out about his experience and lent his voice to the Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted.

Carter was portrayed by Denzel Washington in the 1999 motion picture The Hurricane, which told the story of how a group of Canadians and a Brooklyn teenager helped to free the incarcerated boxer.

Sad to hear. Ironically, I think of Rubin often. I have Bob Dylan's tribute to him, "The Hurricane" (awesome song, BTW), shuffling on my iPod.

My warmest wishes to Mr. Carter. He wrongfully spent some of his best years behind bars. As the song goes, "He could've been champion of the world."

Comment

damn shame he lost 20 years of his life in prison

Comment

Yeah a tremendous injustice was done to that man.. Best wishes..

PRPP

Comment

terrible what happened to him. Sadly he is one of many who has been treated this way by those in power.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            terrible what happened to him. Sadly he is one of many who has been treated this way by those in power.
            Rubin was actually extremely lucky in a very real sense, partly because he was once a middleweight contender. He received a lot of support from celebrities like Muhammad Ali and Bob Dylan. Ali drew attention to his case by wearing "Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter" emblazoned on the robe he wore before one of his fights. And, as I mentioned before, Dylan immortalized Carter in one of his songs. There was an autobiography the fighter wrote while in prison, which led to a group of Canadians championing his cause. The vast majority of those wrongfully imprisoned are anonymously languishing in jail, many till the day they die.

Comment

Sucks that this dude was the victim of a wrongful murder. Usually I'm pro law enforcement but some dudes just try to convict someone just to make themselves look good and close the case.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                Yep.......

Comment

Working...
                X