Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liston or foreman if ali was not around.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
    Liston - foreman trilogy?

That's a great picture Liston and his freakishly long reach, his arms just seem to go on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
      I think the only question left now is: How had the better chin?

I believe that would be the determining factor in this fight.
      Liston had a chin of iron, even fought against Marty Marshall when his jaw was broken early in the fight and took it to a points decision where Marshall won a SD.
      He was ko'd by Martin though at the end of his career.

Foreman was knocked down by Ron Lyle and Jimmy Young, Jimmy Young was a boxer, didn't pack that much of a punch at all, Ron Lyle however was a decent puncher but nowhere near the caliber of Liston.
      Could argue that Foreman was mentally broken because of his defeat by Ali and he wasn't all focused on both the fights but he was physically still prime.
      Foreman gassed early as well, Liston could go all rounds while throwing bombs.

I'd think if it was prime for prime Liston punishes him with that jab all night long and takes a late TKO or wide UD, Foreman has a punchers chance but it's unlikely.

If Foreman would of somehow fought Liston in 74 instead of Ali, early KO win for Foreman imo and no way would there be a trilogy, lol.
      Last edited by NChristo; 06-13-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        Liston had a chin of iron, even fought against Marty Marshall when his jaw was broken early in the fight and took it to a points decision where Marshall won a SD, and took big shots from some big punchers like Williams.

Foreman was knocked down by Ron Lyle and Jimmy Young, Jimmy Young was a boxer, didn't pack that much of a punch at all, Ron Lyle however was a decent puncher but nowhere near the caliber of Liston.
        Could argue that Foreman was mentally broken because of his defeat by Ali and he wasn't all focused on both the fights but he was physically still prime.

I'd think if it was prime for prime Liston punishes him with that jab all night long and takes a late TKO or wide UD, Foreman has a punchers chance but it's unlikely.

If Foreman would of fought Liston in 74 instead of Ali, early KO win for Foreman imo and no way would there be a trilogy, lol.
        I think this trilogy would have been touching the brutality of St. valentines day massacre if it took place.

Is this realistic?

Last edited by Vadrigar.; 06-13-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Liston woulda been champ until Frazier and drug use woulda beat him.

Foreman woulda been champ until he loses a trilogy with Larry Holmes who woulda beat him 2-1.

Comment

Seeing that Liston died in 1970 and Foreman turned pro in 1969. Even if Ali wasnt around, these guys would have never had pro match between each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider Monkz View Post
              That's a great picture Liston and his freakishly long reach, his arms just seem to go on and on.
              thanks, I knew how to find these along time ago. I just put them out right now.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                Liston had a chin of iron, even fought against Marty Marshall when his jaw was broken early in the fight and took it to a points decision where Marshall won a SD.

If Foreman would of somehow fought Liston in 74 instead of Ali, early KO win for Foreman imo and no way would there be a trilogy, lol.
                I agree with your assessment of Liston. But, regardless of "official" dates, it was always recognised that he was years older than noted. I've seen as many birthdates for Liston as beds the Virgin Queen was supposed to have slept in. According to his mother, "older " brother, sisters and an uncle, he could not have been born much after 1926, if not earlier. His older brother turned out to be a younger brother and in fact nobody really knew when he was born. I think his father had over 20 children by 2 women (maybe more?) and being mostly illiterate as Sonny always was, nobody "kept score".

He was a very large baby, and an oversized kid, but nothing could put a 38 year appearance on his face at age 31-2, except time....... which was when he fought Ali the first bout.

I believe that in his prime, he'd have been able to handle Frazier comfortably, as well as Foreman, being equally as tough and strong, as well as being a better boxer. He got a raw deal from the boxing public and the commissions.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Gotta love all the Ali fans here trying to make it sound like Ali had anything to do, sorry I could have be those nights, he was clearly paid off. So no, Ali wouldnt have changed Listons career at all. As for Foreman's? it was just a matter of time until people realized he was an arm puncher with not stamina. Similar to Tyson, once the formula was figured out, he became average. Sorry, it would have taken any bad night from big george or any competitor who wouldnt have backed down to end him at that point. Sosnowski would have beat the George Foreman Ali beat.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMagicMan View Post
                    Gotta love all the Ali fans here trying to make it sound like Ali had anything to do, sorry I could have be those nights, he was clearly paid off. So no, Ali wouldnt have changed Listons career at all. As for Foreman's? it was just a matter of time until people realized he was an arm puncher with not stamina. Similar to Tyson, once the formula was figured out, he became average. Sorry, it would have taken any bad night from big george or any competitor who wouldnt have backed down to end him at that point. Sosnowski would have beat the George Foreman Ali beat.
                    I need to do some...........
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc86ZXFsriM
                    On you.

This phamplet is a great resourse to help you overcome this condition.

Goodbye

Comment

Originally posted by TheMagicMan View Post
                      What're you talking about ?, not one person has mentioned Ali in here till you came in.

Obvious troll.

Comment

Working...
                      X