Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After the Dust Settles: Maidana vs Broner - Closer Fight On The Second Viewing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the Dust Settles: Maidana vs Broner - Closer Fight On The Second Viewing?

I just rewatched the fight and it now seems closer than I originally thought. I had Broner winning 5 rounds, he did well to recover from those knockdowns. Perhaps credit is deserved where, for example, Ortiz quit in the same situation and even Lopez (who has also beaten Ortiz) couldn't recover from Maidana knockdowns. Broner actually did recover and fought back valiantly.

I'm thinking a rematch might not be a bad idea now, that fight wasn't as one-sided as it first appeared. Broner was knocked down twice but knockdowns do happen, just watch Marquez vs Pacquiao 1 for example, Marquez knocked down 3 times in the first round. The crowd cheers and the knockdowns made it appear as if Broner was almost being dominated by Maidana at times, mixed in with the element of surprise for some people, and Maidana's sprawling style but on the second viewing the fight appears more evenly matched in my opinion.

Bottomline: Maidana clearly won the fight of course, that's not even in question, but Broner fought better than I originally gave him credit for.

So poll question involves rewatching the fight if you haven't seen it for a second time.. Is Maidana vs Broner A Closer Fight On The Second Viewing?
    Yes, it's a closer, more evenly-matched fight on the 2nd viewing
    8.64%
    No, it was NOT a closer fight on the 2nd viewing
    81.48%
    Already thought it was (fairly) close on the 1st viewing
    7.41%
    Undecided / Other
    2.47%

Broner won 3 rounds at max

Comment

Watched it a 3rd time and ever time Maidana looks more dominant.

Comment

No, it was pretty one sided.. My opinion hasn't changed after the third viewing.

Comment

was surprised bc for once in a high profile fight the judges were competent. but the referee wasnt, lawrence cole of texas is just terrible

Comment

Yes, I thought it was a fairly competitive fight. There were some moments where I though Maidana had gassed or punched himself out, he was breathing way too hard in some of the rounds. Then, Broner would come on strong and seemed to hurt Maidana to the body. Broner did good after the first knockdown and then toward the end of the fight. I gave him 4-5 rounds. But, it was a somewhat competitive fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
              Watched it a 3rd time and ever time Maidana looks more dominant.
              No I definitely didn't get that from the second viewing - not overall.

Maidana does look like he's dominating in brief spells, especially around the knockdowns he looks like he's about to stop Broner at any moment, so that sort of leaves more of an impression on the mind because Maidana obviously hurt Broner more than the other way around.

But Broner does come back with some good boxing and wins rounds. Maidana's sprawling, brawling style sometimes seems like it's scoring when the shots aren't landing clean - but it's also psychological - you know Maidana could hurt Broner at any moment if one of those shots lands clean while Broner is backing up. And because Broner is backing up it makes you think Maidana is in charge and taking control. But I noticed when that happens quite a few times, Broner catches Maidana with some good counters and he sort of stops Maidana in his tracks for a moment. So while Maidana is often swinging and throwing, there are times when the scoring shots are coming from Broner's quick counterpunches.

Maybe watch it again in slo-motion?

Comment

I don't get what you mean.. By close fight you mean solely going by the scorecards? No, I didn't think so.. I thought it was pretty one-sided on the scorecards.

If you mean Broner saved face and made some rounds competitive, then yes, he did keep Maidana on his toes.. Maidana had to keep active the whole fight, there were some rounds where he tried to rest, allowing Broner to gain momentum.. I felt he came back in a lot of those rounds and landed enough to win them though.

Comment

Nope, Maidana busted that a55, period.

And......

I'm loving every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by midnight_magic View Post
                    Broner won 3 rounds at max
                    I thought so too. Broner won the 12th and the 6th round and maybe you can give him another random close round. But I do not think he won more than 3 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X