Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Frazier delivers hellacious beating to Ali.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=joseph5620;10214578]
    Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post

If he was struggling to make weight then yes I agree it would weaken him. But not just his chin. He would be weakened in general and I'm sure he feels stronger since moving up.
    I am talking about his ability to take a punch. Did his ability increase with the extra weight?

Comment

[QUOTE=CarlosG815;10214630]
      Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post

I am talking about his ability to take a punch. Did his ability increase with the extra weight?

I think his overall conditioning improved. Not his skills or ability. A fighter getting dropped because his body is weakened is different from a fighter getting dropped because he has a glass jaw. I never bought into Khan having a glass jaw because of one loss anyway.He just got caught and it happens sometimes. Time will tell with that issue. He was definitely hurt against Maidana though. He fought smart to survive it and showed a lot of heart in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        It's noticeable that the punch that floors Ali in the 15th is a carbon copy of the wild hay-maker that Joe misses with in the 14th. In both cases Ali's backing away with his hands low. His reactions and evasive speed get him easily out of trouble for the former but he's flat footed and an easy target for the latter. At first I thought it was just a case of pure exhaustion but the more I look at it the more it seems like his concentration is away somewhere. Perhaps he was thinking about the end of the fight, or something his corner or Joe had said. It would be interesting to know what happened precisely.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
          I don't favour anyone to beat Ali. I give Joe Louis and Marciano the best chance. Frazier did very well against Ali.
          the ali that destroyed williams would have dismantled frazier he was not the same guy

Comment

As bad of a beating as Ali took, it was actually Frazier who took the worse punishment in the fight despite winning it with his late surge. He had to push himself beyond human limits to overcome Ali who was punching with as much power as ever. The left hooks that floored Bonavena and the right hands that rocked even George Foreman were absorbed by Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              As bad of a beating as Ali took, it was actually Frazier who took the worse punishment in the fight despite winning it with his late surge. He had to push himself beyond human limits to overcome Ali who was punching with as much power as ever. The left hooks that floored Bonavena and the right hands that rocked even George Foreman were absorbed by Frazier.
              If that had been Quarry in there Ali would not have survived that fifteenth round. Jerry was a finisher once he got you hurt. Ali was very lucky he cut Quarry because he was in for a beating worse than what he got with Frazier.

Comment

Working...
              X