Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be remembered as the greater fighter Bernard Hopkins or Juan Manuel Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually its a good question. I think they are pretty close, resume wise and skills wise. Each does some things better than the other.

Thinking about it though hopkins may be slightly better. JMM has good offense and combinations but Hopkins did in his prime as well and basically up until his late 30s which is where JMM is now and then he started dropping his output and throwing more than one shot at a time. So some of the negatives about hopkins dont apply until he is in his 40s and older than JMM is now so I dont think its fair to knock him for that.

Hopkins was on the top at 160 for a decade and that is worth something too.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      No disrespect to JMM, but it's a laughable comparison, really. I guess memories are short. Or, maybe some people just never saw Hop back in the day.
      Yeah man, probably the latter of the two. BHOP was a monster back in the day, I used to love watching him come out there and do the execution motion before each bout. Coming right out of prison, and turning pro like he did, his career is amazing.

Comment

B-Hop is the greatest active fighter already imo, but I won't argue with Marquez coming in 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
          If you have to mention Casamayor as one of Marquez' best wins then you know you done lost. I might as well say Hopkins beat Roy Jones! Casa wasn't even close to being the same fighter at that point, come off one of the worst robberies in recent memory over Santa Cruz.

Hopkins fought:
          Undefeated Glen Johnson
          Undefeated Felix Trinidad
          Undefeated Jermain Taylor (disputed)
          Undefeated Joe Calzaghe (disputed)
          Undefeated Kelly Pavlik
          Undefeated Roy Jones
          Jean Pascal at age 46
          Antonio Tarver at age 41
          Echoles, Howard Eastman, Oscar, Joppy, etc.

Like I said, no comparison. Not even close.
          Yeah that is a really good point how many undefeated guys he fought and how many of those guys were the best in the division or second best (hops himself being the first) when he fought them.

A lot of people like to wait until someone has had some losses and looks vulnerable to get that win over a known name on their record and he didnt wait for that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
            nobody gives a fuck about Bernard
            I 2nd that

Comment

X ..........

Comment

Marquez could be the Mexican Hopkins he been told he is too old past his best tried to be used as a stepping stone but he keeps proving them wrong

Comment

Hopkins... when JMM beat up a Prime WW Champion four years from now.. let me know.

Than 7 years from now when he beats ANOTHER Prime WW Champion.. we'll see.

Comment

depends on who you ask. many years from now, only historians will be talking about X and his accomplishments. casual people will remember marquez destroying the great hypejob like it happened yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
                      depends on who you ask. many years from now, only historians will be talking about X and his accomplishments. casual people will remember marquez destroying the great hypejob like it happened yesterday.
                      No they won't you misinformed un educated swine.

Plankquaio and Jmm are not superstars.. They are light weights.. casuals will NEVER remember light weights.. It is what it is...

Not to mention boxing in American might actually be dead in 10 years.. with all the shift going over to Europe.

Europe is on it's way to ruling boxing for the next 50 years tbh.

After Wlado-- you got Price than Anthony Joshua will take over for him.. Joshua is 22, Price is 29-30.. The time line is already set..

A whole bunch of EURO Robots from Germany and Ukraine will probably dominate 160-200+ for the next 2 decades... and the only guys left fighting in the states will be 5'4 midgets with baby nikes

Comment

Working...
                      X