No announcement yet.

Ray Robinson's handspeed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Robinson's handspeed

How come it looks human like in some old footage but when there is ringside fight footage from fans it looks Roy Jones JR level speed? I've read before that old tapes can't show the true speed for some reason but forgot the explanation?

You are right in a sense, the frames per second in those days spoke for itself. Technology such as cameras and TV's were in it's development stage for the public (not military). Only bit I didn't understand was ringside footage from fans? because they sure didn't have camera phones or handheld recorders in those days.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
      How come it looks human like in some old footage but when there is ringside fight footage from fans it looks Roy Jones JR level speed? I've read before that old tapes can't show the true speed for some reason but forgot the explanation?
      Less frames per second makes things look faster.

I'd say that Robinson's handspeed wasn't far off that of Roy Jones Jnr. His double and triple left hook combos were exceptionally quick.....

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson had a boss

Comment

Hand speed underrated.
          And less frames, make things look slower!!!

Comment

In addition to the physical gifts like speed.

What probably made him the greatest fighter of all time (much like Ali) was his chin and toughness.

They were like mobile tanks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Maybe the old footage doesn't capture speed well...but speed didn't seem to be SRR's game. Tenacity and footwork. He gets in position to fire off bombs from every angle.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
                Hand speed underrated.
                And less frames, make things look slower!!!
                Less frames (per second) actually makes action look faster.. Maybe not as smooth or fluid, more like a slideshow, but things definitely seem faster with less frames.

It makes sense if you think about it, all these new high-tech slow-motion cameras capture frames per second at an insane rate (which makes the slow-motion replays possible), back then the tech was just starting out, it's no surprise the fans at ringside had worse cameras than TV crews.

Comment

Ray Robinson started his pro career at lightweight and won his first world title at Welterweight. Those were the weights he was considered at his fastest, unfortunately their is no footage of those days. Going by all the footage we have of SRR at Middleweight, I can only imagine how fast he was back then.
                  Ray's punches would come out of nowhere and have opponents confused as to what just hit them. Phenomenal combination puncher that showed no fear to comit to his punches.

Comment

One has to make a distinction between the mechanics of the filming and the perception of the film. less frames actually leave more places for the mind to fill in the blanks, called closure. Our brain automatically fills in the missing blanks so to speak.

Consequently its hard to compare film footage from different eras, it is suspect. The way one can tell the speed is the results...If a man canbe hit with a triple hook, it is fast.

if you really look carefully you can see spaces, that are unaccountable for in a sequence of events when filmed in the old days. That is the real effect on our eye when watching an ol timer on film. The missing sequence parts can make the guy look faster I suppose.
                    Last edited by billeau2; 12-07-2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X