Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paper champions in boxing, lets make a list

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is Kovalev a paper champ? Sure he's not the lineal champ, but he beat the previous champ Cleverly to win his belt.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      How can you say Quillin is a paper champ and not mention GGG?
      Because GGG is championship level. While Kid Chocolate is garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
        How is Kovalev a paper champ? Sure he's not the lineal champ, but he beat the previous champ Cleverly to win his belt.
        it was a paper title cleverly won as a vacant - interim - title. It doesnt get anymore paper than that

Peterson is another paper champ

Comment

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
          it was a paper title cleverly won as a vacant - interim - title. It doesnt get anymore paper than that

But Kovalev has defended his title, and will defend it again.

Comment

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
            The Real Divison Champs:

HW Vladdy KO
            CW Huck
            LHW Stevenson
            SMW Ward
            MW Sergio
            LMW Mayweather
            WW Mayweather
            JWW Garcia
            I would not put Mayweather up there for either WW or light middle, I know he is officially but by missing Pacquiao for years and fighting for a unified title where he was already a champion at a catchweight is unacceptable, especially considering Alvarez won a paper title off a light welter.

The rest I agree with, you can add Rigondeaux to the list too.

I'd say the winner of Arreola/Stiverne is paper champ, anyone outside of Froch and Ward are paper champs in their divisions and in light heavy, everyone besides Stevenson.

Comment

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post

An interim championship is a temporary world championship that is awarded in the four major sanctioning bodies of professional boxing (WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF) , In event the world champion of a particular weight division is temporarily unable to defend his championship because of medical, legal, or other reasons that are beyond the champion's control then the interim champion becomes champion..

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                But Kovalev has defended his title, and will defend it again.
                that doesn't mean its not paper

Comment

Originally posted by whytetittie View Post
                  Because GGG is championship level. While Kid Chocolate is garbage.
                  OK - So you don't understand what a paper title means.

I get it.

GGG is the very definition of a paper champion. Not saying he's not potentially the best MW there is, but right now - he's nothing but a paper champ. just like Quillin.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
                    I would not put Mayweather up there for either WW or light middle, I know he is officially but by missing Pacquiao for years and fighting for a unified title where he was already a champion at a catchweight is unacceptable, especially considering Alvarez won a paper title off a light welter.

The rest I agree with, you can add Rigondeaux to the list too.

I'd say the winner of Arreola/Stiverne is paper champ, anyone outside of Froch and Ward are paper champs in their divisions and in light heavy, everyone besides Stevenson.
                    Pac won his ww title at a cw so was he a paper champ at ww? alvarez proved he was legitimate when he beat trout. floyd BEAT the man at ww which was mosley and hasn't lost since. Pac has lost twice, got a gift vs marquez 3 and has only beat rios since then.

Comment

GGG defines paper champ......his resume is pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                      X