Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Maidana have a higher workrate in the rematch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    Floyd is not going to be moving as much. And the change in his strategy will involve being able to fight better off the ropes and also fighting in close quarters.
    Interesting. So you believe it will be a phone booth fight. A dogfight.

Maybe.. because Maidana utilizes feints to get Floyd on the ropes pretty nicely. But judging from the Castillo fight and how Floyd moved alot more in the rematch makes me think that's what he gonna try on Maidana.

But he might be out to take it to Maidana... who knows? I hope you are right

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
      Interesting. So you believe it will be a phone booth fight. A dogfight.

Maybe.. because Maidana utilizes feints to get Floyd on the ropes pretty nicely. But judging from the Castillo fight and how Floyd moved alot more in the rematch makes me think that's what he gonna try on Maidana.

But he might be out to take it to Maidana... who knows? I hope you are right
      I really do. Because Floyd simply doesn't have the legs he used to and it would be folly for him to try to be bouncing around (the Castillo fight was 12 years ago!) and tiring himself out. Especially against someone like Maidana, who is much more fierce than a Guerrero and more aggressive than a Canelo. So what's the alternative at this stage? You're going to be forced into the trenches. You have to beat him there. I'm thinking Nelson-Fenech I & II. The difference in the rematch was the adjustments Nelson made in close quarters. I don't know if Mayweather can pull that off at 38.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        I really do. Because Floyd simply doesn't have the legs he used to and it would be folly for him to try to be bouncing around (the Castillo fight was 12 years ago!) and tiring himself out. Especially against someone like Maidana, who is much more fierce than a Guerrero and more aggressive than a Canelo. So what's the alternative at this stage? You're going to be forced into the trenches. You have to beat him there. I'm thinking Nelson-Fenech I & II. The difference in the rematch was the adjustments Nelson made in close quarters. I don't know if Mayweather can pull that off at 38.
        I thought he legs were gone after the Cotto fight, then he looked fine with Ghost.
        If that does happen should be a hell of a fight.
        I'm with Syf, he really needs to visibly hurt Floyd to have any chance, even if he does do that he might still lose a decision. He has to have the mindset of JMM had in his last fight with Pac and look for a KO.
        His stamina was fine in the first fight, but he really needs to make the punches he does land count more. He has proven he can catch Floyd in the center of the ring, now make those shots count. For all of Floyd's ability to adjust, he still has certain punches he likes to uses every fight. Jab to the body, check hook, pull counter, etc. Having been in the ring with Floyd gives him the advantage of having seen them already, now fine tune his attack to counter them.
        If he can make Floyd hesitant or stop throwing any of those punches, his chances of winning this fight increase and might make Floyd have to go the trenches and make this a war.

Comment

His work rate will lie directly in the hands of the hand picked referee.

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
            His work rate will lie directly in the hands of the hand picked referee.
            Yes, that could be a factor.

Comment

He can try that 1k output, but as usual his stamina won't hold out for sure. He is one attribute away from beating floyd. That's all there is, it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post

He threw 858 total vs floyd in the first fight will he beat this number in the rematch? Can he go for 1,000+?

Pros: Hes now been in there with floyd so he knows what to expect, little longer training camp.

Cons: No ariza.
                No Ariza!? Better get Conte or Heredia.

Comment

Originally posted by KRITKL View Post
                  I thought he legs were gone after the Cotto fight, then he looked fine with Ghost.
                  If that does happen should be a hell of a fight.
                  I'm with Syf, he really needs to visibly hurt Floyd to have any chance, even if he does do that he might still lose a decision. He has to have the mindset of JMM had in his last fight with Pac and look for a KO.
                  His stamina was fine in the first fight, but he really needs to make the punches he does land count more. He has proven he can catch Floyd in the center of the ring, now make those shots count. For all of Floyd's ability to adjust, he still has certain punches he likes to uses every fight. Jab to the body, check hook, pull counter, etc. Having been in the ring with Floyd gives him the advantage of having seen them already, now fine tune his attack to counter them.
                  If he can make Floyd hesitant or stop throwing any of those punches, his chances of winning this fight increase and might make Floyd have to go the trenches and make this a war.
                  I was of the opinion that he was losing his legs before Cotto and continues to do so. People think because he "moved" against Guerrero that his legs are still there. I think the fact that he had to move so much against Guerrero (not being able to do what he typically would and being forced to do so) is why Mayweather was very displeased with that performance. It wasn't that impressive IMO even though he won easily and he would struggle to do that against other style of fighters.

But for the sake of argument, even if his legs remained after Cotto...did they look like they were there in the Maidana fight? He's about to be 38, there's a good chance his legs are done. And in order to win, he might need to fight a little Toney-esque in close quarters.

Mayweather said something interesting the other day. He said that when he goes 10 rounds in sparring and a sparring partner wins three or four, it's almost like he looked bad that day. But for anyone else, that would be normal. Well, what that tells me is that he's starting to look like "anyone else" and thus his chances at losing have greatly increased.

Comment

Working...
                  X