Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana White: "My opinion of boxing, is that boxing will eventually go away."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, most people didn't even read the full article from the comments. I disagree that boxing will go away but the younger crowd will lean more towards the UFC because it's more action & more televised regardless of the talent level. Had May/Pac been a UFC fight we would have seen it by now. You can't name too many protected fighters in the UFC if any at all. I will always be more attracted to boxing but I see where Dana is coming from. Promoters are killing boxing...and if it stays this way, it'll get worst for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by The Comedian View Post
      As the boxing world awaits Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s verdict on an astronomically lucrative fight against Manny Pacquiao, UFC president Dana White claims there is no need to wait until the clock strikes midnight to see Money’s version of “The Decision.” It ain’t happening.

“Everybody knows that I’m a fan of both. I came from boxing and if it wasn’t for boxing I wouldn’t be here with you right now, but the reason I am here with you right now is because over 10 years ago I saw a lot of problems with the sport,” White told The Scott Van Pelt Show on Friday.

“At the time I was looking to get into boxing. We were going to become boxing promoters, but I saw this opportunity with the UFC. When I was introduced to this sport, I was blown away by it. Now, we’ve been able to do what we thought we could do with this thing and my honest opinion of boxing, is that boxing will go away. It will eventually go away.”

Although White’s been busy minding his own Kool-Aid to fix boxing’s multitude of issues, he did offer up some suggestions as to why MMA has been staring at their combat counterparts in the rear-view mirror for the past several years.

“Once everything went to a pay model, boxing stopped giving you good fights for free. As soon as that ended, your market starts to shrink when you’re only on pay-per-view,” White said. “Before this Mayweather/Pacquiao fight happens, let’s say a miracle happens and they get this thing done [tonight], the fight will probably be done sometime in November, right?

“I’ll have done 10 fights. I’ll have done 10 fights and maybe out of the 10 fights, four of them will be on free TV by the time that fight happens. That’s the difference.”

White claims there is far too much red tape involved in arranging a blockbuster PPV match-up in boxing. Although the financial numbers being thrown at the sport’s elite are utterly ridiculous, for one reason or another, the scraps never seem to come to fruition.

“The best example is, ‘How long have fight fans wanted to see Mayweather versus Pacquiao?’” White rhetorically asked. “Forever. That’s the fight everyone wants to see. That’s the fight I want to see and it’s just not happening. These guys are being offered crazy amounts of money and the fight just can’t be made.

“There’s no doubt about it. Our sport is more appealing to younger viewers.”
      Dana Whites idea of "coming from boxing" was being a southie boxercise coach to houswives while he was hiding from the real men who used to kick his ass everyday.

Comment

Who cares what the kids watch? Kids listen to ****ty music and watch ****ty movies. Theyll grow up and ufc will go out of business, again.

Comment

Originally posted by The Comedian View Post
          As the boxing world awaits Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s verdict on an astronomically lucrative fight against Manny Pacquiao, UFC president Dana White claims there is no need to wait until the clock strikes midnight to see Money’s version of “The Decision.” It ain’t happening.

“Everybody knows that I’m a fan of both. I came from boxing and if it wasn’t for boxing I wouldn’t be here with you right now, but the reason I am here with you right now is because over 10 years ago I saw a lot of problems with the sport,” White told The Scott Van Pelt Show on Friday.

“At the time I was looking to get into boxing. We were going to become boxing promoters, but I saw this opportunity with the UFC. When I was introduced to this sport, I was blown away by it. Now, we’ve been able to do what we thought we could do with this thing and my honest opinion of boxing, is that boxing will go away. It will eventually go away.”

Although White’s been busy minding his own Kool-Aid to fix boxing’s multitude of issues, he did offer up some suggestions as to why MMA has been staring at their combat counterparts in the rear-view mirror for the past several years.

“Once everything went to a pay model, boxing stopped giving you good fights for free. As soon as that ended, your market starts to shrink when you’re only on pay-per-view,” White said. “Before this Mayweather/Pacquiao fight happens, let’s say a miracle happens and they get this thing done [tonight], the fight will probably be done sometime in November, right?

“I’ll have done 10 fights. I’ll have done 10 fights and maybe out of the 10 fights, four of them will be on free TV by the time that fight happens. That’s the difference.”

White claims there is far too much red tape involved in arranging a blockbuster PPV match-up in boxing. Although the financial numbers being thrown at the sport’s elite are utterly ridiculous, for one reason or another, the scraps never seem to come to fruition.

“The best example is, ‘How long have fight fans wanted to see Mayweather versus Pacquiao?’” White rhetorically asked. “Forever. That’s the fight everyone wants to see. That’s the fight I want to see and it’s just not happening. These guys are being offered crazy amounts of money and the fight just can’t be made.

“There’s no doubt about it. Our sport is more appealing to younger viewers.”
          Don't give two **** about what he thinks of Boxing to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingsley View Post
            Had May/Pac been a UFC fight we would have seen it by now.
            No you wouldn't, in fact the fight would be a non-starter. The same way we never got to see Fedor vs Couture (2007) and Brock (2009). Or really any fight that would involve co-promotion (huge fights never took place in MMA between 2000-2006 because the UFC and Pride refused to work with each other). But im sure that Floyd and Manny would be much happier to give 90% of their earnings to Dana White and his Italian mob partners...oh the sport would be so much better .

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post

Boxing is popular with the ethnic street group. We see MMA for what it is, and know boxing will always be better.
              What is it?

Comment

bold statement from a guy who will say just about anything to get attention. wish the UFC fights had more appeal than his rantings. BOXING is where its at right now, without a brock fight, theres is nothing worth the ppv price in mma. the sport (mma ) will be around in the future, for sure, but so will the great sport of BOXING. i dont understand the obsession some mma fans have with boxing, and why they would ever think BOXING is just going to fade away.

Comment

Dana White is just bitter and trying to down play the competition that is dwarfing his sport. He talked **** about Mayweather/Marquez not selling and we all know what happened lol.....

Comment

Dana White and others have been saying the SAME thing for more than a decade now.

And guess what? Boxing PPV's STILL keep posting more records.

It won't go away because it CAN'T.

Comment

Dana White is probably one of the most successful trolls I have ever seen, ever in all of reality and the internet. All he has to say is "boxing just...isn't good" and all of a sudden everyones ****ting their pants ready to ram their fist so hard into him that it would cause a tear in the fabric of reality and the resulting void would suck the universe into causing the end of time.

Dana can say all he wants about boxing, he can tell us how great UFC is, how amazing his fighters are but the fact is that they are two completely different sports. Sure they involve hitting eachother and trying to knock out your opponent but thats about it.

Boxing you need skill, you need to have ludicrous amounts of it also to make it anywhere. You wont make it past a national level unless you have a unique combination of determination, heart and skill. To even make it to be a contender for one of the hundred world titles out there you have to be phenomenal, you have to have something that separates you from normal people to make it to such a level.

MMA also takes skill, however not nearly as much. Many of you will not agree with my opinion however it is the truth, mixed martial artists are exactly that, a mix of martial arts. They are a jack of all trades however rarely masters in any. It takes the same requisite to make it to a boxing world title to make it to a MMA world title however not nearly as much, you must be as versatile as possible to negate the thousand of possible outcomes for a fight and for that MMAers have my utmost respect.

for Boxing you need to be a master at your craft, at your unique style and you need to be ready, at the top physical condition you can get to. If someone better than you comes along skill wise then no you cannot take it to the ground and submit them, or ground and pound them. No, you must preserver and make it through the fire, you must stand up and punch your way to victory, because if you do not then there is no taking it to the ground, or landing a nice kick to the head, there is just you getting your ass handed to you for a nice duration of ten, three minute rounds. THIS; is why I love boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X