No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team Rigondeaux Respond To Larry Merchant's Comments

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Team Rigondeaux Respond To Larry Merchant's Comments

Boris Arencibia, the CEO of Caribe Promotions, was offended by a recent interview on BoxingScene.com with HBO analyst Larry Merchant, who made critical comments pertaining to undefeated WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo “The Jackal” Rigondeaux. According to Merchant, there is no reason for WBO champion Nonito "Filipino Flash" Donaire to accept a challenge from Rigondeaux at this moment in time. Merchant says the Cuban is not popular enough to demand a fight with Donaire.

[Click Here To Read More]

did he really compare himself to ODLH?

Comment

I'm pretty sure a lot more Americans knew who Oscar De La Hoya was than Guillermo Rigondeaux, even in Oscar's professional debut. lol

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
        did he really compare himself to ODLH?
        That was Arencibia talking, not Rigo. Stupid comment, though, I agree.

Comment

They said nobody knew who ODLH was when he made his pro debut, which is true outside of California.

I'm from south florida I ride with all cubans guy

Comment

I sympathize w/ Rigo but dude just needs to stay busy and rack up some easy wins til Nonito or some other big name is ready to step up.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
              They said nobody knew who ODLH was when he made his pro debut, which is true outside of California.

I'm from south florida I ride with all cubans guy
              ODLH earned the nickname "Golden Boy" as soon as he won the gold medal at the 1992 Olympics. It obviously stuck. The last guy I remember making that much impact coming out of the games was "Sugar" Ray Leonard, back in 1976. I would bet that Oscar was better known coming out of the Olympics than 99.9% of professional boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
                I sympathize w/ Rigo but dude just needs to stay busy and rack up some easy wins til Nonito or some other big name is ready to step up.
                Rigo will get his day. He'll continue to win and can't be ignored forever. I can't blame Guillermo and his team for making noise; everyone wants to get paid. "El Chacal's" earning window is small, so there's a sense of urgency you don't normally see from a rookie pro.

Comment

what sucks about Rigo is his age. i think thats why hes pressing for the big fights.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    Rigo will get his day. He'll continue to win and can't be ignored forever. I can't blame Guillermo and his team for making noise; everyone wants to get paid. "El Chacal's" earning window is small, so there's a sense of urgency you don't normally see from a rookie pro.
                    Didn't Abner Mares just recently announce a move to 122? Would be nice to see Rigo vs Mares, it's obvious Donaire is not considering Guille till at least two more fights.
                    While not a spring chicken, I don't mind seeing El Chacal take a few more fights vs good opposition to build a more lucrative event vs Nonito.

Comment

Working...
                    X