Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holmes vs Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today a fight makes no sense, at any other time I would´ve picked Foreman by KO.

Comment

At first I thought Foreman but after reading the opinions of others Im not sure now. Foreman has that devastating power but if Holmes can beat Shavers then Foreman cant be too much harder

Comment

Holmes vs Foreman

Originally posted by INFAMOUZ
        Holmes vs foreman in their prime and and now?

I'd say Foreman beats him in their prime and holmes beats him now. their both 55, holmes has him in reach and im sure Foreman has him in weight. i think this would be a better fight then most of the heavy weights can but out now. Like John Ruiz and Brewster
        I think holmes beat the **** out of foreman then and now...

Comment

holmes would distroy forman

Comment

and this is a real stupid question

Comment

again ali fought shavers and foreman and clearly stated foreman was the hardest puncher he ever faces and he never got hit with a clean foreman punch.shavers knocked holmes down and almost out with one punch.shavers didnt have a good jab or didnt really do anything else well besides punch.he couldnt take a punch well and holmes went the distance and then stopped him late in the second fight.so why do you believe he could handle foremans punch?and nobody in foremans prime out boxed foreman no norton no piralta no ali no anybody so why do you think holmes could?foreman wasnt a slow lumbering boxer who threw wild punches.foreman came out boxing but his hands were so heavy he knocked out 42 of the 45 fighters he beat in his prime...if holmes had a ***** of a time keeping norton off him then again why do you think he could do this to foreman?you now why because he couldnt 3 round is all i could give holmes.his jab was his only weapon and even that wasnt as good as foremans..you would think so because of how people act like it was .he just threw it because he had nothing else to throw really.foreman was a better body puncher a better hooker had the better uppercut the better jab the better right hand the better chin and was much tougher physically.so get off holmes ***..the man fought people on the tell end of there career and barely won .he beat people after fraizer ali and foreman went through them first.tyson was willing to fight holmes but never foreman so what does that tell you about holmes?the man is highly overated.a good champ sure but he couldnt carry the likes of ali foreman or fraizers jock strap

Comment

Originally posted by jayrichardse View Post
                and this is a real stupid question
                - -Agree!

Most of these boys can't follow a timeline to realize when Big George was active, Tubby Lar who used to be skinny was majorly light in the loafers.

Is Tubs Lar the best single beltholder in history, or has Deyonce surpassed him?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -Agree!

Most of these boys can't follow a timeline to realize when Big George was active, Tubby Lar who used to be skinny was majorly light in the loafers.

Is Tubs Lar the best single beltholder in history, or has Deyonce surpassed him?
                  Do you think Holmes was any worse than Young?

What did Ali do in Zaire that Holmes couldn't do at his best?

Even when he returned, and used what Gil CLancy taught him - do you think Moorer would have lost if he had Holmes' size and chin?

I do worry that Holmes' penchant for mixing it up costs him this one. Even on his best nights he was prone to settling into exchanges he didn't need to take. But he's better than everyone Foreman struggled with, and was only stopped when in terrible shape to a faster man than Foreman.

I get it, it works both ways:

Holmes struggled mightily w/ Shavers. Average pucnhers tagged him and hurt him. And Cooney zigged when he should have zagged - if he went for broke like we was supposed to, rather than tried to fight like a seasoned champion, would Holmes have survived?

So it's easy to say that Holmes went deep with lesser punchers than foreman, but if foreman couldn't get his man out early, his success rate plummeted round by round.

I like foreman better in most H@H match-ups. But I think Holmes lasts the onslaught. He splits Foreman's open guard with his jab even better than Ali did, and the counter-punchers are equally as effecitve as Ali's. He also has that uppercut, which I think will give Forman pause. He lacks Ali's speed and strength, but that's not really how Ali beat Foreman.

I wouldn't be surprised if Holmes does every bit as well as Ali - he was more sound technically, and his punches carried more mustard. But I will be conservative and say his performance falls squarely between Ali and Young's performances in prevailing against Big George.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                    Do you think Holmes was any worse than Young?

What did Ali do in Zaire that Holmes couldn't do at his best?

Even when he returned, and used what Gil CLancy taught him - do you think Moorer would have lost if he had Holmes' size and chin?

I do worry that Holmes' penchant for mixing it up costs him this one. Even on his best nights he was prone to settling into exchanges he didn't need to take. But he's better than everyone Foreman struggled with, and was only stopped when in terrible shape to a faster man than Foreman.

I get it, it works both ways:

Holmes struggled mightily w/ Shavers. Average pucnhers tagged him and hurt him. And Cooney zigged when he should have zagged - if he went for broke like we was supposed to, rather than tried to fight like a seasoned champion, would Holmes have survived?

So it's easy to say that Holmes went deep with lesser punchers than foreman, but if foreman couldn't get his man out early, his success rate plummeted round by round.

I like foreman better in most H@H match-ups. But I think Holmes lasts the onslaught. He splits Foreman's open guard with his jab even better than Ali did, and the counter-punchers are equally as effecitve as Ali's. He also has that uppercut, which I think will give Forman pause. He lacks Ali's speed and strength, but that's not really how Ali beat Foreman.

I wouldn't be surprised if Holmes does every bit as well as Ali - he was more sound technically, and his punches carried more mustard. But I will be conservative and say his performance falls squarely between Ali and Young's performances in prevailing against Big George.
                    - -Mo blabber from you.

Lar was one of hundreds of Ring Unranked pretenders.

When he had a chance, he crumpled sorta like you, so George had to take another fight.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                      Prime Larry Holmes could handle big punchers...
                      Prime George Foreman never showed he could handle an excellent boxer.

Holmes TKO14 Foreman.
                      I like the way you think, the way you come to the conclusion you did...I am dissapointed that I do not see more people in the section, many of whom argue very well, but do not respect precedent and how much it is a gift we are given to forsee such things as a winner in a fight where each fighter has fought many opponents. I mean if we know a similar style, type, or other characteristics that give us a clue to performance, that is important information.

With that said Foreman was a calculating fighter, a man who was mentored among others by Liston, another very calculating puncher who could box as well as any boxer puncher, and take you out with jab, and either hand. Shavers is just too one dimensional to not make a distinction between him and Foreman.

Shavers to me is the purest of the pure... A pure puncher who focused on how many opportunities in a given fight, his punch would find a home on the opponent. He was also damn good at it...He caught great fighters like Ali and Holmes, but of one could get up... Shavers did not have the finishing skills of Liston or Foreman, nor the thinking to set a trap, to move the opponent into the punch (all things that George could do).

So my question becomes: what could Foreman do against Holmes? Would he wilt at Holme's jab? Would he get caught up by Larry's excellent lateral movements? Or would he find a way to encroach on Larry and deliver?

Well...Heres more precedent: jimmy Young. With that said? I believe that Foreman would lose to Holmes in a tough fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X