Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would the economy be great if everyone though it was?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy O'Bannon View Post
    Thats all that guy does. And he throws out his meager academic achievements as some sort of merit and authority.

If he's in a grad program, then what does that say about what kind of pedestrian people are being allowed to participate in these grad programs?

When people like him have degree's, they may as well be worthless.
    agreed...

degrees have been greatly devalued over the past 20 years...

just wait til we have universal college education, then you'll have to get a post doc to get a job at mcdonalds

Comment

Originally posted by -veteran420- View Post
      agreed...

degrees have been greatly devalued over the past 20 years...

just wait til we have universal college education, then you'll have to get a post doc to get a job at mcdonalds
      LOL, I already know people w/ bachelors and Masters lining up for **** jobs.

Its true.

The college industrial complex is not about educating and enriching people in the Platonic and Socratic tradition but rather another way of getting young people into debt for 20 years.

Comment

Dont get me wrong, it sounds good in theory but the problem is, the perception eventually runs into reality....

you'll hear economics defined as "the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services" but even further it has to do with the scarcity of them as well. and right now, the market is adjusting due to the current terms and the previous false inflation it has received over the past 10-15 years.... capital has to be revalued and reallocated due to market needs...

however, all of this would long be done by now if there were no govt intervention to slow it down
        See but I am starting to think there is no true reality to all of this, value is not absolute in this situation and can be anything really if enough ppl say it is. The values that goods, services, and currency set at the end of the day are determined by ppl are they not?For ex; If there is some product at a corner store that I think is too expensive and I get enough ppl to agree with me I can get the artificial value of that product lowered to what I and others think is reasonable....what I am saying on the economy is a large scale version of that.

Comment

Its true.

The college industrial complex is not about educating and enriching people in the Platonic and Socratic tradition but rather another way of getting young people into debt for 20 years.
          yeah...

its ****in ridiculous, people need masters and more to be a ****in social worker and make $15/hr

the downward spiral continues...

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
            See but I am starting to think there is no true reality to all of this, value is not absolute in this situation and can be anything really if enough ppl say it is. The values that goods, services, and currency set at the end of the day are determined by ppl are they not?For ex; If there is some product at a corner store that I think is too expensive and I get enough ppl to agree with me I can get the artificial value of that product lowered to what I and others think is reasonable....what I am saying on the economy is a large scale version of that.
            Welcome to Capitalism. What you described is what makes it work. If someone over charges, and enough people agree, they won't sell anything.

Look up something called a demand curve, it deals with what you are talking about.

Comment

If we lived in an ideal world and the free market was allowed to work unabated, then this would be a real possibility.

But we don't. We live in world of Wall st. speculation, monopolies, oligopolies, and selective government subsidies.

In theory that would be great, but given the **** system we have its a pipe dream.

Comment

Its true.

I tend to agree with you. There really is nothing to be gained from a college education in the day and age of the internet. It really is just a waste of money at the point in time for anyone that would be able to succeed in the first place.

Comment

there's the fallacy...

you can't "set prices"

value is determined by scarcity.... its economics 101

prices fluctuate depending on supply/demand

Comment

If we lived in an ideal world and the free market was allowed to work unabated, then this would be a real possibility.
                    no roy, thats wrong... that's the exact opposite of what a "free market" does

Comment

there's the fallacy...

you can't "set prices"

value is determined by scarcity.... its economics 101

prices fluctuate depending on supply/demand
                      Its true. Its like an auction block. Prices will always be what people are willing to pay, no higher. If there are fewer of something, more people will want it, and more people will be willing to pay more for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X