Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Delahoya get a gift decision over Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can argue both Quartey and Whitaker beat De La Hoya. Both very close fights.

The only real gift Oscar got was against Sturm. Though I scored the Whitaker fight a draw and the Quartey fight for Quartey...

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      Huh??

This has been debated to death on these forums, like I've always said though, I thought Whitaker beat Chavez and I had the De la Hoya fight a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
        Was it a robbery? Was it a close fight? Was Delahoya really being effective or landing much? Or was Whitaker just out pointed?

Also does anyone know why Delahoya always has controversial decision when it comes to slick fighters?? It is just has style? IE, Floyd and Whitaker, Shane
        Honestly, I thought De La Hoya just nicked a close fight, but I'd have no problem with anybody giving it to Sweet Pea.

On a side note, Mosley has never been a slick fighter. A boxer puncher and occasionally a flat out brawler, but never slick.

Comment

Close fight. Whitaker is my favorite fight of all time and I had no issue with the decision.

According to BoxRec:

According to a Las Vegas Review-Journal poll of writers who covered the fight, 14 scored it for Whitaker and 11 for De La Hoya
          So you can see the fight was close. But this fight adds to Whitaker's legacy and doesn't destroy it because he performed well despite being past it.

Comment

De La Hoya went to work and didn't stop throwing punches at Pernell. Sure, De La Hoya missed a lot but ducking and dodging punches don't win you fights if you ain't throwing back.

Comment

Close fight ,i had a draw ,but could have gone either way,
              Depends on what judges look for ,showboating cant help... Had pea sat down more and challenged oscar in the last 15 seconds of each round he probably wins that fight,he didnt exactly beat oscar and he knew he was b side

Comment

Originally posted by -Huey- View Post
                De La Hoya went to work and didn't stop throwing punches at Pernell. Sure, De La Hoya missed a lot but ducking and dodging punches don't win you fights if you ain't throwing back.
                Yet Whitaker threw more punches than De La Hoya

Comment

Oscar vs Sweet Pea was a close fight in favor of Hoya for me, that's was no robbery. The only fight where I saw Oscar got a gift was the Strum fight, there's no way Oscar won that fight...no way.

Comment

I scored the fight for Oscar, although the unreasonably large gap in the official scorecards might suggest that DLH was getting the W no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
                      Was it a robbery? Was it a close fight? Was Delahoya really being effective or landing much? Or was Whitaker just out pointed?

Also does anyone know why Delahoya always has controversial decision when it comes to slick fighters?? It is just has style? IE, Floyd and Whitaker, Shane
                      Not at all. I watched and scored this fight just the other day. I gave Whitaker only 3 rounds. De la Hoya was landing all the clean, big punches.
                      No way did Sweet Pea win this fight or even come close to. And I say this as a big Whitaker fan.
                      Last edited by raskat; 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X