Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do We Continue to Recognize the Lineal Championship When....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    Thing is, it really doesn't mean that much when a fighter makes a mockery of it by avoiding the best or cherrypicking opponents.

The WBF belt is worth more if the opposition is legit. Lineal is like any title, it's ultimately defined by who you defend it against.
    It's just a historical notation. It's value is predicated on what the lineal guy is doing with it. One doesn't have to recognize it as important but it still exists where it does.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      It's just a historical notation. It's value is predicated on what the lineal guy is doing with it. One doesn't have to recognize it as important but it still exists where it does.
      Yeah but you guys use it to determine the top ranked guy in the division. Clearly the system is broken. When your method produces complete nonsense like Canelo as #1 Mw, then it's time to revise it.

Comment

It's still meaningful, but you'll have situations like we have at 160 where it becomes devalued, and we should all be wise enough to identify such scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
          Thing is, it really doesn't mean that much when a fighter makes a mockery of it by avoiding the best or cherrypicking opponents.

The WBF belt is worth more if the opposition is legit. Lineal is like any title, it's ultimately defined by who you defend it against.
          So in that case why were you waving your Poms Poms when Pacquaio beat Bradley for the alleged "Lineage"?

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
            It's still meaningful, but you'll have situations like we have at 160 where it becomes devalued, and we should all be wise enough to identify such scenarios.
            It is but they need to think over some criteria for strippage of bad champs. The Ring requiring a top 5 defense in 2 years is a good start. You should also get stripped if you need a catchweight to defend, or duck the #1 contender

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              Yeah but you guys use it to determine the top ranked guy in the division. Clearly the system is broken. When your method produces complete nonsense like Canelo as #1 Mw, then it's time to revise it.
              Great point. The ranking is what bothers me. So we rely on the Ring Magazine to tell us who's top 10 in any division, but it's owned by DLH, a promoter. In my opinion, this wrecks the credibility of said magazine. We need another system to determine top 10 per division.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                It is but they need to think over some criteria for strippage of bad champs. The Ring requiring a top 5 defense in 2 years is a good start. You should also get stripped if you need a catchweight to defend, or duck the #1 contender
                Ring champ and lineal are two different things. They usually coincide with one another but not always. Lineal has no org, there's no belt and the rules can't be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  So in that case why were you waving your Poms Poms when Pacquaio beat Bradley for the alleged "Lineage"?
                  Floyd (lineal) retired, #1 & #2 fought for it then. What is there not to understand?

Comment

Originally posted by bm Vagabond View Post
                    Floyd (lineal) retired, #1 & #2 fought for it then. What is there not to understand?
                    Well firstly, Pacquaio and Bradley weren't the universal #1 and #2.

Secondly, the point of my post clearly went straight over your head which is baffling to me considering it's quite clear as to the point of the post.

Comment

did you know ward is actually the linear light heavyweight champ? zsolt erdei lost to grachev, grachev lost to rodriguez and ward beat rodriguez when rodriguez came in at the light heavyweight limit

Comment

Working...
                      X