Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any boxer dominated Bernard and Hopkins talent like Roy did.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
    Yes that's a cool accomplishment but we must remember it wasn't THE heavyweight champ of the world it was John Ruiz, same guy James Toney beat up. John Ruiz. John Ruiz! If there is ever going to be a former MW beating a heavyweight, Ruiz is the guy to do it against (as shown again by Toney). So yeah, while it's a cool accomplishment it's not like Jones beat Lewis or something crazy like that.

Floyd came from 130 pounds and Pacquiao 108 pounds, man.
    Roy came from 160 Ruiz 240, thats 80lbs
    floyd 130 to 175 thts 45lbs
    Pac from 108 to 175 thats 67 lbs

And forget the fact pac was like 15 years old fighting at 108, Roy was fighting at 130 when he was 15 so now tht 80lbs has gone to 110.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
      hopkins was not in his prime when he fought roy, simple as that. He wasn't weaker and slower in 1996, 1997, & 1998, that's for sure.
      Yes he was, he was just fighting small guys that were not as good as Roy. Everyone he fought he was bigger than and stronger than. While everyone Roy fought was bigger than him. A really washed up Roy Jones carried and smacked Tito around with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloTeague View Post
        Roy came from 160 Ruiz 240, thats 80lbs
        floyd 130 to 175 thts 45lbs
        Pac from 108 to 175 thats 67 lbs
        You're math is ******ed man. Roy came from 160 and weighed in officially at 193 against Ruiz - that's 33 pounds.

And forget the fact pac was like 15 years old fighting at 108, Roy was fighting at 130 when he was 15 so now tht 80lbs has gone to 110.
        Again you're math is ******ed on multiple levels. Pac was fighting as a pro, jones wasn't. smh

Comment

Originally posted by KiloTeague View Post
          Yes he was, he was just fighting small guys that were not as good as Roy. Everyone he fought he was bigger than and stronger than. While everyone Roy fought was bigger than him. A really washed up Roy Jones carried and smacked Tito around with ease.
          now you're just trolling. Either that are you truly are a moron.

And I guess Glen Johnson was some small little fighter hopkins beat up, the same guy who not only ko'd jones but destroyed him the entire fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
            Roy and Bernard were at about the same level of pro experience and as for Toney having weight issues we can't penalize Roy because its Toney's obligation to keep that in order.

I don't penalize Roy for Toney's issues, he did what he was supposed to do. But it doesn't change the fact Toney had been struggling with his weight and wasn't at his best. Even if he had been I think Roy would have still beat him, but it doesn't change the point.

As far as Roy and Hopkins.....Roy's years of world class amateur experience gave him a huge advantage over Bernard, not to mention his natural gifts were always in abundance. Hop was still learning the ropes so to speak and wasn't yet close to the polished fighter he would become.

Comment

Hopkins vs. Roy was one of boxing's most boring fights ever.

Roy didn't want to give Toney the rematch without making him jump through fire.

*Steriods.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I don't penalize Roy for Toney's issues, he did what he was supposed to do. But it doesn't change the fact Toney had been struggling with his weight and wasn't at his best. Even if he had been I think Roy would have still beat him, but it doesn't change the point.

As far as Roy and Hopkins.....Roy's years of world class amateur experience gave him a huge advantage over Bernard, not to mention his natural gifts were always in abundance. Hop was still learning the ropes so to speak and wasn't yet close to the polished fighter he would become.
                Dude, don't leave out...Roy had faced far superior comp as a pro to then as well. He was farther along in every way and Hopkins hung in there and gave a respectable account. Personally, I think both at their very best, Roy wins, but we never came close to seeing those two faced off in the best possible scenario (sometime between 97-01).

Hell, Roy respected Hopkins development so much that he killed the rematch (prior to Hopkins entering the Middle tourney) by putting in a rubber match clause that said if Hopkins beat him, Roy would get 80-20 on a third fight. Roy seemed to think he'd gotten better.

Comment

What kind of a ******ed thread is this?

And is this an actual question or TS just making a ******ed statement?

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    Dude, don't leave out...Roy had faced far superior comp as a pro to then as well. He was farther along in every way and Hopkins hung in there and gave a respectable account. Personally, I think both at their very best, Roy wins, but we never came close to seeing those two faced off in the best possible scenario (sometime between 97-01).

Hell, Roy respected Hopkins development so much that he killed the rematch (prior to Hopkins entering the Middle tourney) by putting in a rubber match clause that said if Hopkins beat him, Roy would get 80-20 on a third fight. Roy seemed to think he'd gotten better.
                    I had no idea about the 80/20 rematch clause. I'd say Roy certainly thought Hopkins got better.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      I had no idea about the 80/20 rematch clause. I'd say Roy certainly thought Hopkins got better.
                      I remember 80-20 from USA Today at the time; here's an actual report at 70-30. Equally silly.

Jones Is Hopkins' Preferred Target
                      BY T.J. QUINN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
                      Wednesday, February 21, 2001
                      THE DIRECTOR at the Milbank Center of Children's Aid Society in Harlem was incredulous when she stopped Bernard Hopkins at the front desk yesterday. She wanted to know who he was. He told her that he was the middleweight champion.

"Middleweight champion of what?" she asked.

Such is the life of one of the longest reigning world champions in a division that hasn't been sweet since Sugar Ray Robinson left and hasn't been prominent since Marvin Hagler hung them up 15 years ago.

But all that could change now that promoter Don King has put together a three-bout middleweight unification tournament that, barring any last minute snags, will unfold at Madison Square Garden. Hopkins, the IBF champ, will meet WBC champ Keith Holmes on April 14 on HBO.

"This is an important fight for me," Hopkins said during lunch at Gallagher's Steakhouse yesterday. "It's going to put pressure on Roy Jones Jr. I know if I hold up my end, Roy will have no excuse to bail out of a fight with me by early 2002. The boxing world will say to him put up or shut up."

Jones, who won a decision against Hopkins as a middleweight in 1993, already has bailed on Hopkins and the boxing public. King tried to bring Jones into the middleweight tournament mix by signing him to meet the undisputed middleweight champ when the dust cleared. He didn't want any part of that. Hopkins tried to make a fight with Jones, but the deal broke down because Jones insisted on not only a rematch, but a third fight with a 70-30 split his way.

Now, Jones is defending his undisputed light heavyweight title against a lightly regarded opponent named Derrick Harmon Saturday while Hopkins is marching toward Felix Trinidad. And Jones called Hopkins a coward last week.

When Hopkins was negotiating to meet Jones, Lou DiBella, the former HBO boxing czar who is advising Hopkins, had his doubts as to whether Hopkins could defeat Jones.

"You know what changed my mind? Bernard asked me who I would pick in a street fight, him or Roy," DiBella said. "I gotta tell you, I'd take Bernard."

Hopkins (38-2-1, 28 KOs) doesn't need Jones. Jones will be just fine, because as he said last week, he's not starving. HBO's version of boxing welfare has made Jones a very rich man. What boxer wouldn't want to pick his own opponents and still collect $3 million a fight?

Nothing ever has come easy for Hopkins, who spent nine years in prison for robbery and then nine years on probation. He has never earned $1 million in a fight. He has spent most of his pro career trying to maintain his independence from boxing's parasites - managers and promoters. He has successfully sued two promoters to break contracts that he believed were damaging his career.

And now at 36, near the end of his career, things are looking up for Hopkins. Thanks to King, the last person on earth he thought he'd ever fight for, Hopkins has a chance to make more money in two fights (around $4 million) than he has made in his entire career.

Yesterday, Hopkins took an early morning train from Philadelphia to make two speaking engagements in Manhattan as part of African-American History Month. He spent the morning downtown at The New York League speaking to a group of mentally ******ed adults. In the afternoon, he talked to a group of restless kids at the Buster Bryant Gym about the importance of sacrifice and dedication. Tomorrow morning he will drive his mother, Shirley Hopkins, who has breast cancer, to chemotherapy.

"In boxing people always say you get what you deserve and it's a negative," DiBella said. "But with Bernard, he's finally getting what he deserves and it's a positive."

Comment

Working...
                      X