No announcement yet.

What happend to the one punch knockout artists

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happend to the one punch knockout artists

It seems as though todays fighters are not putting guys to sleep before they hit the canvas like hearns,jackson and mclellan did
    I know donaires had some good one punch kos
    Aswell as martinez's ko over williams
    But do you think were lacking one punch ko artists in the boxing present?

Nah, we get a few good ones every year. Guys still have great power. Guys like Hearns and Jackson were rare before they came along, rare during, and are rare after.

Comment

Because most of em got exposed or career pushed aside.

Edison Miranda
      Arthur Abraham
      Randall Bailey(did just ko Jones though)

Oh yeah you have that canadian Pier Cote
      Last edited by killacash; 08-19-2012, 06:01 PM.

Comment

What would be even more rare is a big punch guy who didn't get KO'd too!!
        Alot of the big punchers didn't have the best chins either, ala Hearns! Pepino wasn't a great fighter and when he stepped up he got sleepy but he did have good power. Theres fewer trainers who know how to train for power and the guys that have extensive amatuer careers never get the style for big punches their all speed guys! Everyone throws straight shots and thats not how power comes down You need to land while the arm is at an angle then contact, its not punching THREW that always generates power its maintaining the arm angle on contact and that keeps the shots shorter!! Ray

Comment

Simple fighters arn't siting on their punches as much,look how the amateur system is set up.pitty pat punches and speed

Comment

Look at my avatar and you will find a answer.

Comment

There out there. You just got to dig a little bit. We just saw one a few weeks back:

Comment

Dudes like that are always rare that can pull that off against world class opposition especially in the middle and lower classes.

Comment

Miranda, Pavlik and AA all had some sick nasty 1 punch KO power at MW before they moved up. Bute has 1 punch KO power so does Froch.

Comment

Several theories.

First thing: just wanted to say hello to everyone as I am new to this forum. I look forward to talking boxing even if it's arguing with some of you which will inevitably happen!
                    I recall Emmanuel Steward saying something on-air a few months ago about the change in approach trainers have implemented. He said something along the lines of fighters hitting pads as more of a means of coordination than for punching through a target which has accounted for the drop in legitimate power punchers. There's also the argument that boxing has lost its "great teachers" and that too sounds plausible. I happen to think that fighters are more aware nowadays of the health risks involved in boxing so there is a lean towards fighting in a more controlled fashion as to not leave themselves open to counters. I happen to believe that every world-class boxer has sufficient pop in their fists to hurt another similarly-sized opponent but the intent to do damage has to be implemented in order for that power to manifest itself.
                    Retired heavyweight Corrie Sanders once stated that you should ALWAYS go for the knockout when you see an opening and that seems to sum it up!

Comment

Working...
                    X