No announcement yet.

Training for Golden Gloves.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training for Golden Gloves.

Sup guys. I'm gonna do the Chicago Golden Gloves(Senior Novice) and just wanted some thoughts.

Anyone here have any experience in the Golden Gloves(Whether it be Open or Novice)?

What can you recommend for cardio? It's cold outside and I hate the treadmill. It's boring and I feel like I get motion sickness. The jump rope is good, but doesn't replace road work.

What kind of weight training would be good? I'm thinking Strength & speed. Of course I'm gonna cut out all bad vices(Junk food, smoking/drinking).

Anything else you guys can think of that would be beneficial? Meditation, Yoga, Pilates, anything out of the ordinary?

24 yrs old? No Trainer? Drinking & Smoking? Do you have trauma insurance?

Novice senior means you may run into an experienced J.O. (junior Olympic)
    kid who's turning 16-18 and might have a 75 bouts in the J.O's!
    Not good for you! You better ask for a "bout card" (id) if they still do that. If not you better find out just how much a novice your opponent is. There was a lot of BS at any tourney when it comes to the novice class. Can't tell you how many guys I saw through the years that were from Panama or P.R. in the novice class with 50+ bouts in their countries!
    Simply be Aware of your surroundings good luck, no smoking in the building and you need a trainer who knows how these tourneys are run.

My gym participated in the Gloves for many many years! Nationals all over the country for the Open Cl.

Ray.

Comment

Yeah I vaporize weed. Feels good after a long workout. Weed is way more of a problem than drinking. For aid after a long workout it's pretty good. I hardly ever drink except for the occasional night out in town, but I won't even have a single sip starting next week.

I got a coach so that's not a problem. I do my boxing training 5x a week and run about 20 miles a week. It's a pretty good workout just haven't added weight into my regimine. My coach is pretty entrenched in the Chicago boxing circle so he'll know better than I do as far as the politics of what really consistitutes a "novice" boxer although I myself had already thought of the possibility of guys way more experienced using the novice division as easy pickings so to speak so I'm prepared for that.

Comment

How long have you been boxing for?

And one thing to remember, which a lot of guys don't realize, is that the gloves tournament spans over a long period of time. Your have to maintain your training and nutrition throughout, it's not easy to do, especially if your in a crowded weight division, you'll have to fight more often.

As for cardio, sprints, you need to train your body to recover after using up oxygen.

For strength, pull ups, dips, push ups, medicine ball work, lunges, you really don't need weights, especially for amateur rule set. they can help, but only if you know how to use them, and what to do.

Comment

Been boxing for about 3 years now on and off because of school. Feels good to finally be able to focus on it. I'm about 5'10 150 which is around average size so I'm assuming the division is gonna be stacked because of that and just because Chicago is a big city.

Comment

dont start coz imma fly over from canada to kick everyone's ass there.

Comment

good luck...

Comment

Nice Videos and Photos posted, How they struggled for this champion hands off..

Comment

Working...
                X