Collapse
No announcement yet.

Norm Macdonald not pleased with Bible joke, tears a new one

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the American public are still overwhelmingly Christian, then making Bible jokes is surely kinda brave considering the public ultimately decide how far you go on this talent show.

Norm seemed offended by the religious context more than just finding it unfunny. If you were offended by someones jokes, you wouldnt praise them with bravery either.

But yea, the jokes were lame and painfully unoriginal.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
      If the American public are still overwhelmingly Christian, then making Bible jokes is surely kinda brave considering the public ultimately decide how far you go on this talent show.

Norm seemed offended by the religious context more than just finding it unfunny. If you were offended by someones jokes, you wouldnt praise them with bravery either.

But yea, the jokes were lame and painfully unoriginal.

Plenty of programs that have enjoyed huge success while slagging off Christians. Now is it the entire crux of these shows content? No. But acting like there is anything "brave" about it is bullshit.

Imagine the reverse. Some "conservative Christian" from BFE, Idaho appears on this nationally broadcasted show, and starts ****ting on gays and Jews .

There would be 24/7 multimedia coverage and outrage over such a thing. Said comedian would excoriated and would be labeled a social pariah.

Christianity is a easy target, with really no repercussions for going after it.

Comment

Oh for ****s sake. Obviously this has just gone completely over a lot peoples heads in here, and really I'm not surprised. Norm was calling him out on his hacky ignorant joke that was cloaked in some political agenda driven put down.

Here is part of Norms interview a few days ago on this. Read the full interview here http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ensored-819420

Right, like the comedian who made a joke comparing someone quoting Bible verses on a subway to him quoting Harry Potter passages. That joke really irritated you. Why?
        Oh, just the smugness. There are a lot more hack 'smart' comedians nowadays and atheist comedians. It's so dull. To be talking about being an atheist living in West Hollywood is not the bravest stance to take. If a guy went up and said, Jesus Christ is our lord and savior, Id say, Damn, that guys brave! Or, The infidels must die under the sword of Allah! Id go, Goddamn, thats a brave comic. So that got under my skin. Also the idiocy of comparing the New Testament to Harry Potter. I knew because I read all the books with my kid that J.K. Rowling said shes a Christian and based the books on the New Testament. I thought, now youve really stepped into an area that you dont know what youre talking about at all.
        You also referenced an aversion to political humor. That surprised me, as most people associate you with "Weekend Update" on Saturday Night Live.
        I didnt really think we did political humor on "Update." Because most political humor is biased toward what the comedian thinks, so then it just becomes dull. Personally I***8217;d rather just read politics. Like when people go, Kids get their news from Jon Stewart, then I go, Well, then theyre in big trouble if thats where they get their ****ing news. Because the whole show is just making fun of Fox News. I dont know where the news part is. It's a hilarious show because I don't think it's political.
        What about Bill Maher? Hes both political and an outspoken atheist.
        Yeah, yeah. I find him completely unfunny. Like, maybe the unfunniest person Ive ever encountered thats called a comedian. I like his show because of the arguing back and forth, and he knows a lot about politics. But the worst is when he forces you to sit on the panel while he does his New Rules, which are just a bunch of jokes. And you have to sit there, a foot from the dude with a camera in your face. Youd think he would just excuse them, but no, you have to sit there and watch.
        And youre expected to laugh.
        Yeah, of course. You have to laugh like a banshee. I like watching actual political guys who know their stuff. One time Bill Maher was on Meet the Press, and it was hilarious. George Will like tore into him, because once you get in with the big boys who actually do it for a living, it doesnt matter what you know. George Will had huge contempt for him and was slapping him around, and suddenly Bill Maher wasnt confident at all anymore. It was really funny to watch.
        So I take it you wouldnt do Real Time? Or would you if Maher asked you?
        Laughs.) No, I would not. If I did I would just do jokes. I remember Garry Shandling once went on the show and did a great joke and Bill Maher stepped all over it. Maher was talking about the war in Iraq, and Garry goes, Im against the war, but at least I wish we had cheaper ****ing gas. Didnt we steal their oil? And it starts getting a big laugh and Bill goes, Yeah, we go in wanting to get WMDs and we get STP. And the whole audience stops laughing and Shandling goes, Thanks for the help. So those are the two levels of comedy.
        Last edited by creekrat77; 09-04-2015, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
          There is nothing "brave" or "cutting edge" about calling Christians stupid these days in comedic routines. GTFO with that shit.

The guy is a hack.

I think that there is all to get.
          O contrare monfrare....

You don't get to call the speaking up of people who are not religious, as an attack on religion.

That's like some AAA ball club from Mississippi calling the New York Yankees ****, and people getting upset that the AAA club is bullying the Yanks.

You can't even suggest saying anything but Merry Christmas because if you say Happy Holiday, you hate Jesus and there's a war on Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            O contrare monfrare....

You don't get to call the speaking up of people who are not religious, as an attack on religion.

That's like some AAA ball club from Mississippi calling the New York Yankees ****, and people getting upset that the AAA club is bullying the Yanks.

You can't even suggest saying anything but Merry Christmas because if you say Happy Holiday, you hate Jesus and there's a war on Christmas.
            Where does this happen? On your TV set watching Fox News?

Have you ever said Happy Holiday to somebody in a real life scenario, and have somebody get all Bible Thumper on you?

Please regale me with a cool story brochacho of this occurrence.

Comment

O contrare monfrare....

Were talking about over done unfunny jokes that literally have nothing to do with comedy and largely are done by ignorant egotistical idiots who really have no knowledge whatsoever on Christianity. It's just cheap laughs, nothing ground breaking, nothing that people don't already know.
              Now this is a prime example of being edgy and making fun of Christianity. Sam Kinison grew up the son of an evangelist and became one himself. Then he decided to become a comic. By the way Kinison is Norms favorite comic besides Brian Regan

Comment

Norms the man. On one hand he's right, on the other he sounded salty as fuk lol.

But yeah, being anti religion is the trendy thing to do. People aren't criticized for it, they are praised, especially in the comedic forum. Such bravery....

The joke was unoriginal and has been played out...

Comment

Where does this happen? On your TV set watching Fox News?

Have you ever said Happy Holiday to somebody in a real life scenario, and have somebody get all Bible Thumper on you?

Please regale me with a cool story brochacho of this occurrence.
                  Actually, I did have a lady say to me Merry Christmas and I said Happy Hoidays not thinking, and she responded with "No Merry Christmas".

LOL I thought it was funny.

Look, there's this supposed War on Christmas being reported every December on Fauxnews, be real.

80% of the country is Christian, there's a church at every corner, but they are the persecuted one's. Come on man....

Comment

Actually, I did have a lady say to me Merry Christmas and I said Happy Hoidays not thinking, and she responded with "No Merry Christmas".

LOL I thought it was funny.

Look, there's this supposed War on Christmas being reported every December on Fauxnews, be real.

80% of the country is Christian, there's a church at every corner, but they are the persecuted one's. Come on man....
                    Where did I say Christians are being persecuted anywhere in this thread?

I'm echoing what Norm said.

There is nothing brave or edgy about shitting on Christians during a comedy routine or cable show in this country.

It's really that simple.

Comment

Where did I say Christians are being persecuted anywhere in this thread?

I'm echoing what Norm said.

There is nothing brave or edgy about shitting on Christians during a comedy routine or cable show in this country.

It's really that simple.
                      Well I would say insulting religion in general is sort of taboo. Sure, there's more of it in today's comedy, but let's not act as if it's the norm. You won't find comedians on prime time TV doing it, it's mostly "edgy" comics that do it.

I think the bottom line is art should never be censored and comedians should be allowed to make jokes about anything they want.

Comment

Working...
                      X