No announcement yet.

If Cus Damato Lived And Continued To Train Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GJC View Post
    Hey stoppage there must be a queue forming to have a pop at Poet in this forum don't be greedy
    You sure there is no footage of Fitz, I know there isn't much but I'm sure i've seen some and no I'm not that old!
    I'm not trying to be the mean one here. I came in this thread today and saw poet trying to blast someone because their view wasn't the same as his. I stood up for him and since then he's insulted me, continuously.

I think there's one available piece of footage of him in a title fight. Besides that, I don't think there's anything else.

Any footage from that era will show that the fighters of those days, compared to today, aren't as physically or technically gifted. Meaning, his high praise of the fighter contradicts his own method of ranking. I was just trying to point out that flaw after he insulted me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoppage View Post
      I'm not trying to be the mean one here. I came in this thread today and saw poet trying to blast someone because their view wasn't the same as his. I stood up for him and since then he's insulted me, continuously.

I think there's one available piece of footage of him in a title fight. Besides that, I don't think there's anything else.

Any footage from that era will show that the fighters of those days, compared to today, aren't as physically or technically gifted. Meaning, his high praise of the fighter contradicts his own method of ranking. I was just trying to point out that flaw after he insulted me.
      No I doubt there's much on Fitz I was just checking to see I wasn't ready for Shady Pines home for the beweildered and there was some.

Hmmm the old fighters/new fighters debate will go on forever, do you not think that the experience that some of these old timers had in their 100's of fights counted for something though?

Comment

No I doubt there's much on Fitz I was just checking to see I wasn't ready for Shady Pines home for the beweildered and there was some.

Hmmm the old fighters/new fighters debate will go on forever, do you not think that the experience that some of these old timers had in their 100's of fights counted for something though?
        In my opinion, as great as they were, I don't see them doing well against the top fighters of today. For example, I can't see a Jack Johnson matching up against a Klitschko brother. Or a Joe Gans beating a Roberto Duran.

But that doesn't mean I don't consider them to be truly great fighters. Joe Gans is definitely an all-time top 3 lightweight, based off of accomplishments alone.

Comment

For example, I can't see a Jack Johnson matching up against a Klitschko brother.
          Whenever I look at Jack Johnson footage though I always think that he was 30/40 years ahead of his time, he was a very canny scientific boxer. Who knows what weaknesses he could have un-covered doing slow motion on a DVD, he certainly highlighted a lot of Louis faults before others.
          Size would be a factor but I guess if Johnson had been born a 100 years later he might well have been a bit bigger on the theory that I'm a couple of inches taller than my father who was a couple of inches taller than his father etc etc. Johnson was quite a big guy for his day, not freakishly big but big, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he'd be coming in at around 6'4 had he have been born in 1978 not 1878?
          Food for thought?

Comment

Whenever I look at Jack Johnson footage though I always think that he was 30/40 years ahead of his time, he was a very canny scientific boxer. Who knows what weaknesses he could have un-covered doing slow motion on a DVD, he certainly highlighted a lot of Louis faults before others.
            Size would be a factor but I guess if Johnson had been born a 100 years later he might well have been a bit bigger on the theory that I'm a couple of inches taller than my father who was a couple of inches taller than his father etc etc. Johnson was quite a big guy for his day, not freakishly big but big, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he'd be coming in at around 6'4 had he have been born in 1978 not 1878?
            Food for thought?
            I don't really like to do the "what if's". Reminds me of a question I asked when I was new to this forum. I asked, "How good would Ali be if he was shorter?". Of course, laughter followed from the other members of the forum.

I agree that Johnson was the best heavyweight technician of his time. I guess you could make some sort of argument the he was ahead of his time. However, I find that as the years go on, fighters get better. I'm not proud of it because a lot of my favorite fighters are from the old days. I just came to grips with it.

Of course, that's just my opinion. You have your own, as well. I'm just glad to be discussing boxing in this thread without being bashed by poet.

Comment

I don't really like to do the "what if's". Reminds me of a question I asked when I was new to this forum. I asked, "How good would Ali be if he was shorter?". Of course, laughter followed from the other members of the forum.

I agree that Johnson was the best heavyweight technician of his time. I guess you could make some sort of argument the he was ahead of his time. However, I find that as the years go on, fighters get better. I'm not proud of it because a lot of my favorite fighters are from the old days. I just came to grips with it.

Of course, that's just my opinion. You have your own, as well. I'm just glad to be discussing boxing in this thread without being bashed by poet.
              It would be a boring world and forum if we agreed on everything.
              Don't worry about Poet he knows he goes OTT sometimes which is why he takes my teasing of him in good part, he calls me junior too and I'm 70!

Comment

I only go on NSB, to let off some steam on the bulk of retrobate pricks that adorn it's infinate reams of childish popycock..
                So it goes without saying that I'm much more at home, discussing the sports history with more cultured & refined individuals..
                However, I do have to agree, that many posters on the History section are indeed, bias to certain eras..
                I get pissed off with the Dempsey huggers, simply because he was 13 stone and was virtually inactive during his 7 years as champion.. The same applies to Liston, who wasn't really bright enough to be frightening, and Willard who was a poor man's Gerry Cooney, and Johnson who I see as an ugly spoiler with a bad attitude..
                I like to keep it real, and I'm glad you do to..
                The only thing that needs to be addressed is that none of this should apply outside of the heavyweight division.. For example, I'd pick a 135 pound Joe Gans to eek out a DC over a 135 pound Duran, but a 175lb Tommy Burns or Bob Fitzsimmons would be poleaxed by a 212lb Tyson, as would a 190lb Jack Dempsey by a 235lb Lewis..
                So don't get too despondant.. Just sit back & watch the stick that I'm about to get lol..

Comment

he calls me junior too and I'm 70!
                  Yeah, but I only call you "Junior" for a giggle

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    only if he had a gun. Now take a knee and tap out like your boy cotto.

Poet
                    why do you have all those ****ing idiots music singers in you sig. You are a turd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Boxing9 View Post
                      why do you have all those ****ing idiots music singers in you sig. You are a turd.
                      Get a life troll-boi

PS. Take that Larry Holmes pic out of your avatar: You aren't worthy of it.

Poet
                      Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 11-14-2009, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X