Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Role Has Judging Played in the Death of Inside Fighting?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Role Has Judging Played in the Death of Inside Fighting?

Inside fighting is a dying art.

You look at the best fighters in the world today, most of them lack true inside fighting skills. From you're pure boxers like Lara and Rigondeaux, to your pressure fighters like Gennady Golovkin, none of them truly have a complete inside game.

Some fighters are comfortable working in the pocket but lack the skill to be effective. Shawn Porter for example can use his jab/duck, slip, his opponents jab and use his quick feet to get inside but once he gets in there he's smothering his shots. Rios can generate power from close range but isn't defensively responsible.

What role does judging have to do with the lack of inside skill in today's fighters?

1. Starting with the amatuers, in 1992 a compubox style system was put in place that really favored the outboxer. Body shots were not scored properly and inside work was not given much credit since it's hard to see the clean visible punches landed. When you look at the great amatuer fighters of the last several years: Rigondeaux, Lomachenko, Golovkin, Khan, etc., none of them have great inside skills and are most comfortable operating at a distance. The only fighter that really likes to operate inside is Andre Ward.

2. Looking at some of the older fights in the pros, guys like Duran and Toney, 2 great inside fighters had a few fights that were closer on the cards than they should of been. When you listen to the announcers, they often give opponents credit for punches that aren't landing cleanly because Toney and Duran rolled with the punch to take steam off of it. Look at Lederman's card in the Toney vs. Jirov fight? Or the scorecards for Leonard/Duran 1.

So has judging influenced the death of inside fighting or is it something else?

I love inside fighting and I think the refs don't seem to want to allow it they break the guys apart to quick

Comment

I think the refs have something to do with it but I think the real blame is the amateur system. The whole "points" approach has pretty much changed the way boxers fight drastically. Another thing is people don't even really understand inside fighting. You look at your average fan, even a lot of the people that post on this very site and when fighters are fighting on the inside, a good majority of them have no idea what the hell is going on. You gotta figure the judges see it the same way as well. All in all, I think there are a bunch of factors that play a role and truth be told, inside fightin is a dying art I doubt ever really makes a comeback.

Comment

Judges have definitely made fighters more reluctant to fight on the inside as most judges don't even bother taking the punches on the inside into account, also certain referees don't give fighters a chance to fight on the inside. e.g. Kenny Bayless in Mayweather-Maidana 2 where he broke them up even though Chino had one arm free (fully legal).

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
          Judges have definitely made fighters more reluctant to fight on the inside as most judges don't even bother taking the punches on the inside into account, also certain referees don't give fighters a chance to fight on the inside. e.g. Kenny Bayless in Mayweather-Maidana 2 where he broke them up even though Chino had one arm free (fully legal).
          I agree that some refs are too quick to break up the clinch. But at the same time, fighting out of the clinch is an inside skill that a lot of fighters lack nowadays. Watch a Roberto Duran fight to see how a fighter can free himself from a clinch, create space and maintain his workrate.

Comment

What?

I dont agree with this at all. If anything judging should be affecting the guys like Lara or Rigo. It should be making them alter their style cause their "running" style does not get enough credit in fights. Especially when you have the opponent being super aggressive. Even if the aggression isnt effective they still get more credit.

If anything the judging will be turning everyone into cavemen any time now. We'll just have 2 guys swinging at each other recklessly without setting anything up.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
              What?

I dont agree with this at all. If anything judging should be affecting the guys like Lara or Rigo. It should be making them alter their style cause their "running" style does not get enough credit in fights. Especially when you have the opponent being super aggressive. Even if the aggression isnt effective they still get more credit.

If anything the judging will be turning everyone into cavemen any time now. We'll just have 2 guys swinging at each other recklessly without setting anything up.
              I'm not really talking about a boxer vs. a pressure fighter type of comparison. Even the best "pressure fighters"/"volume punchers", etc. in boxing today lack inside skills.

Comment

Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post
                I'm not really talking about a boxer vs. a pressure fighter type of comparison. Even the best "pressure fighters"/"volume punchers", etc. in boxing today lack inside skills.
                Judging does affect it but I also think its the reduced time of the fight. Inside fighting was prevalent when fights went 15 rounds. Also the reduction in the number of boxing gyms as boxing has died in the US has made inside fighting a lost art.

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
                  I love inside fighting and I think the refs don't seem to want to allow it they break the guys apart to quick

bingo......

Comment

I love inside fighting, I wouldn't call it a dying art but the eagerness of some referees breaking up fighters when they can or should allow them to fight out of it is very annoying. Fighters have now come to rely on a ref breaking up a clinch instead of them fighting out of it, there is no better sight than watching people like Toney throwing uppercuts in an inside fighting stance.

Comment

Working...
                    X