No announcement yet.

Fighting style for southpaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting style for southpaw

Having gotten back into boxing these past few months (although my interest spawns from watching it since I was a child), I've decided that I'm wanting to delve more into he training/trainer side of things. At 21, I'm almost certain the boat has sailed on a professional career and I'd be more inclined to box as an amateur and help to train other fighters instead. I find I can read a fight better than actively participating in one so training someone would probably be my forté.

What I'd need to know is what style would most suit a southpaw? I'll be honest and say that Floyd Mayweather Jr. is my favourite boxer so I'd be inclined to train myself to be defensively sound, although I realise I'd probably not be taking full advantage of the fact that lefties generally have a slight advantage over right-handers if they fight more aggressively. That is why I have asked this slightly drawn-out and mostly rambled question.

As for the coaching side of things, is it just a matter of watching videos, reading books and observing fighters until you're confident enough that your advice could help a boxer?

Any replies are appreciated!
Working...
X