Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leading with the left hook, good idea or bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leading with the left hook, good idea or bad?

I noticed emanual steward liked to use the combo left hook straight right left hook, so he lead with the left hook sometimees. But some people say never lead wirth a left hook, always lead with straight punch preferably the jab.

What do you think?

Whats the best way to lead with the hook if you do decide to mix things up? (in your opinion)

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    I noticed emanual steward liked to use the combo left hook straight right left hook, so he lead with the left hook sometimees. But some people say never lead wirth a left hook, always lead with straight punch preferably the jab.

What do you think?

Whats the best way to lead with the hook if you do decide to mix things up? (in your opinion)
    3,2,3 is a pretty common combo, youtube the Trinidad vs. Vargas fight, he knocked Vargas down at the beginning of the fight with a lead hook, but his was fast as hell.

Here is a video of ammy Tyson faking a 2 slipping the jab to lead left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhK4qE-ufAo

I personally throw it in sparring when I notice guys continuing trying to circle to the left, or keeping their right hand a little low. Obviously you can't throw from afar, but now I usually pop a jab as a blinder before throwing a hook. You can also try working on a quick 1 to the 3 as well.
    Last edited by alohaxchange; 05-31-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Emmanuels fighters also generally had extremely well educated jabs.

The key to getting a guy set up for a lead left hook is to get him reaching with his right hand to catch the jab. Work his face and work his belly with that jab. Start throwing in feints.

To just go out and wing a lead hook at a trained fighter can be very dangerous. (Yes Roy Joes pulls it off, but that guy was extraordinary)

Set it up with your jabs, feints, and when see him reaching for your jabs just feint him with the jab and turn the hook over on him. Come in hard with the right hand etc.

Some fighters are extremely fast and can pull it off just winging lead hooks. For the rest of us we'll set it up with good jabs and feints.
      Last edited by Rockin'; 05-31-2014, 09:01 PM.

Comment

When is leading with a power punch ever a good idea....unless you that fast, or its a counter.....but winging a left hook??? Yo opponent gonna see it coming a mile away

Comment

Rockin beat me to a lot points I was going to make as he frequently does, so basically everything he said.

To add to what he said I find feints to the body especially effective. Also feint the right to the head or body.

I also land lead rights by feinting lead left hooks as well.

If you get someone biting on feints you can land about anything.

As always dont get predictable because that will get you KTFO'd

Comment

Working...
          X