Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How the **** did Gerald McClellan go to war with Nigel Benn....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benn showed tremendous heart to recover from being caught cold early in the fight, nearly out of it completely, and then come back to win the way he did. It was classic Dark Destroyer but very sad to see what happened to McClellan as a result of Benn's heart, fortitude, willpower and relentlessness.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
      I loved Benn as much as the next man but just like with Tyson - Douglas, if it's over ten seconds the fight should be stopped. Simple as that IMO.

Rules are rules, for me it's complete and utter bollocks to say that coz Benn came back to win the fight it was the right decision.

How many fighters in the history of the sport could have avoided losing by knockout if they were given an extra few seconds? We've seen fighters come back from the verge of being knocked out to knock their opponent out before and it's unfair on every fighter who has ever been counted out to say a guy who was given more than ten seconds to recover should have been allowed to continue.

Now i'm not one hundred percent certain regarding the rules when a fighter is knocked out of the ring, is it still ten seconds or ....? I'm guessing it is but it if isn't then i'm willing to be corrected.

And also yeah, the completely unnecessary pushing away of McClennan by the ref and coming inbetween them was also poor from the ref.
      If a fighter is knocked out of the ring he gets 20 sec...I'm not sure if he has to go right to the floor for that, and he's not allowed to be assisted in any way. The ref in that fight was horrible...even after the kd in the first he was giving benn excessive time to recover on the breaks for no reason and he kept pushing McClellan back. The way benn was bending forward to avoid punishment was really putting him at risk to take shots behind the head too.

Comment

-People helped Benn get back up into the ring(one even admitted doing so). Look at all the hands on Benn's neck and back after he falls through the ropes.
        -Benn was illegally ducking too low, lower than Gerald's knees. This contributed to McClellan's horribly inaccurate power punches that were unable to finish Benn.
        -The ref helped Benn recover by constantly pushing McClellan back for no reason while he was in the process of getting the finish.
        -After a brutal headbutt late in the fight he doesn't give McClelland time to recover, instead he gives him a standing 8 count when he takes a knee.
        -Lets not even get into the rabbit punches and headbutts.

The fight was a travesty. The ref should have been permabanned from the sport, if not held accountable for McClellan's injuries.

As for Benn, he was punished enough over the years. The docu made that clear. He once blew a guy and almost killed himself. He hit the lowest point, even lower than how he was ducking below Gerald's knees to avoid getting KTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          Like you i dont know the rules exaclty for when someone gets put through ropes, but IIRC Benn was up before the count was finished but hadnt got back through the ropes. Dont know if thats still a ko or not but imo he deserved the benefit of the doubt

Havent watched in a while so cohld be wrong on that
          When a fighter is knocked out of the ring he has 20 seconds to get back in there...........

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
            -People helped Benn get back up into the ring(one even admitted doing so). Look at all the hands on Benn's neck and back after he falls through the ropes.
            -Benn was illegally ducking too low, lower than Gerald's knees. This contributed to McClellan's horribly inaccurate power punches that were unable to finish Benn.
            -The ref helped Benn recover by constantly pushing McClellan back for no reason while he was in the process of getting the finish.
            -After a brutal headbutt late in the fight he doesn't give McClelland time to recover, instead he gives him a standing 8 count when he takes a knee.
            -Lets not even get into the rabbit punches and headbutts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              When a fighter is knocked out of the ring he has 20 seconds to get back in there...........
              He was not knocked out of the ring, he was knocked over the ropes landing on the edge of the canvas. You don't get 20 seconds for that, it's just a standard 10 count.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
                I loved Benn as much as the next man but just like with Tyson - Douglas, if it's over ten seconds the fight should be stopped. Simple as that IMO.

Rules are rules, for me it's complete and utter bollocks to say that coz Benn came back to win the fight it was the right decision.

How many fighters in the history of the sport could have avoided losing by knockout if they were given an extra few seconds? We've seen fighters come back from the verge of being knocked out to knock their opponent out before and it's unfair on every fighter who has ever been counted out to say a guy who was given more than ten seconds to recover should have been allowed to continue.

Now i'm not one hundred percent certain regarding the rules when a fighter is knocked out of the ring, is it still ten seconds or ....? I'm guessing it is but it if isn't then i'm willing to be corrected.

And also yeah, the completely unnecessary pushing away of McClennan by the ref and coming inbetween them was also poor from the ref.
                You get 20 secs if you fall out of the ring

Comment

OK maybe I should have read the whole thread before I answered

Comment

Amazingly gutsy performance by both. It's the greatest fight people don't talk about.

Comment

i cannot watch this fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X