No announcement yet.

Fighters Who Had Slow Feet but Fast Hands

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters Who Had Slow Feet but Fast Hands

I believe a young fighter today fits this category, but I haven't seen this often. What fighters of the past had good hand speed yet slow feet?

Good question but by any chance would that certain fighter be Canelo?

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
      Good question but by any chance would that certain fighter be Canelo?
      That's him.

I remember seeing him the first few times and thinking he's real slow in hand, feet, and thinking. Then now he has stupid hand speed for a Mexican. I always thought a fighter speed is inherent, and there could be little done to improve it.

His single shots are still slow though. It's when he strings together punches to create combos
      Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 01-06-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Old Ali of the 70's, he still had fast hands but his legs were gone

Comment

David Tua had probably the biggest disparity I've seen between handspeed and footspeed. Very plodding and flat-footed, but hugely explosive up top.

Comment

Louis was something of a shuffler but had ATG hand speed.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadman
              David Tua had probably the biggest disparity I've seen between handspeed and footspeed. Very plodding and flat-footed, but hugely explosive up top.
              I came in here confident no-one would have said Tua. But there it is.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Saint G Groves View Post
                Old Ali of the 70's, he still had fast hands but his legs were gone

Na.....even in his last winning fight (Spinks 2) he displayed excellent footspeed, including an Ali shuffle (which no slow footed heavyweight would have a chance at).

He chose to fight some fights flat footed; and sometimes he was in less than tip top condition and didn't dance so as to pace better, but his footspeed was never poor before his 1980 comeback.

Comment

Michael Dokes, if I'm remembering him rightly.

Comment

Broner is one.

Comment

Working...
                    X