No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin will return on Dec 8 but it will not be on HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gennady Golovkin will return on Dec 8 but it will not be on HBO

The Russian media has quoted Tom Loeffler as saying Gennady Golovkin will have a stay-active fight in Europe vs. TBA (which will not be HBO) on Dec 8.

Then, the plan is to have him return to HBO against a top middleweight in March 2013.

HBO should definitely pick up his next fight. He's got Americans all riled up and talking about him, he's very explosive too.

Comment

Well makes sense. If they can't secure or find anybody that's worth HBO's money, then might as well stay active in Europe instead of wait

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
        Well makes sense. If they can't secure or find anybody that's worth HBO's money, then might as well stay active in Europe instead of wait
        i agree. a true stay busy fight should be off of hbo. he certainly hasn't earned a spot on hbo against a bum. that's reserved for the berto's of the world only,

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          i agree. a true stay busy fight should be off of hbo. he certainly hasn't earned a spot on hbo against a bum. that's reserved for the berto's of the world only,
          Berto's different, he's an ATG that got robbed because Ortiz and Mayweather paid off the judges

Comment

Did they even try to get him an HBO worthy opponent? Showtime needs to capitalize on these opportunities when HBO drops the ball like this. HBO was grooming him so hard when he was fighting Proksa... I expected better. The guy is 30 years old and if he wants to be a seller he needs all the US TV airtime he could get, even Shobox will do.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
              Did they even try to get him an HBO worthy opponent? Showtime needs to capitalize on these opportunities when HBO drops the ball like this. HBO was grooming him so hard when he was fighting Proksa... I expected better. The guy is 30 years old and if he wants to be a seller he needs all the US TV airtime he could get, even Shobox will do.
              I think most of the dates were already taken. This is why I think it's okay for Geale to fight the IBF mandatoy in Australia first instead of Golovkin. Golovkin vs Geale would be a good HBO fight that can be made later in the spring next year.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                I think most of the dates were already taken. This is why I think it's okay for Geale to fight the IBF mandatoy in Australia first instead of Golovkin. Golovkin vs Geale would be a good HBO fight that can be made later in the spring next year.
                yeah, that sounds like a good plan. wasn't geale's team saying they were talking to hbo about setting up a date for him next year, or something along those lines? thought i heard him say that in a recent interview. but yeah, if golovkin's promoter is saying they're taking a "stay-busy" fight, then that means it'll most likely be a subpar opponent, not something that should be on hbo

Comment

Maybe he can fight Vera, Rubio or even Ishida.

Durable guys so he can go rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
                    yeah, that sounds like a good plan. wasn't geale's team saying they were talking to hbo about setting up a date for him next year, or something along those lines? thought i heard him say that in a recent interview. but yeah, if golovkin's promoter is saying they're taking a "stay-busy" fight, then that means it'll most likely be a subpar opponent, not something that should be on hbo
                    He's all over Sergio's nuts though... I think that it's in hopes of Sergio. If he doesn't even talk about Golovkin early next year, I think his interest isn't there in making it. I mean, Golovkin will be his WBA mando after Soliman right? Unless a bigger fight happens (against Sergio) then I don't see why not

Comment

Working...
                    X