No announcement yet.

What's harder: Marathon running or 12 rounds in ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's harder: Marathon running or 12 rounds in ring

I was curious in the difference in levels of conditioning required for boxing 10 or 12 rounds vs running a marathon(26 miles or even the ultra marathons)... Obviously the marathon takes longer, but does that necessarily mean it requires greater endurance? Is there a different type of "conditioning" and "endurance" to be able to keep going as you're being hit(drained) of energy vs running where your only worry is just not to stop or to keep a demanding pace(but without any threats other than a lack of conditioning).

Also, from what I've heard/read about Tim Bradley he seems to be super conditioned, like he's doing more than Manny in terms of running at least, but in the ring Manny seems to have just as good conditioning.

For Bradley, is his extensive conditioning more necessary because he's not as fast and explosive as Pac, so it's a bit of "insurance" when he gets in the ring?

Is this a joke?

Comment

Unless you're talking about marathons at the highest levels, twelve rounds in the ring are harder. I've run for years, and I've sparred. Three or four rounds of heavy sparring is much more taxing than several miles of running. I've run as much as twelve miles in training for 5Ks. It wasn't much harder than my sparring sessions. It's just a different kind of endurance. Something about getting hit, missing and landing punches, and, of course, the adrenaline of fighting, make boxing even a few rounds very taxing on the stamina.

Comment

With all due respect to runners, they don't get punched in the face whilst doing it.

Comment

12 rounds in the ring is MUCH harder than ANY marathon.

Stress levels, can't go at your own pace, every punch makes you hold your breath, fast twitch muscles being used as well as anaerobic activity. Not even close.

Marathon running is like, .................................................. .......

12 rounds of boxing is like, ........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......!!!!!!!....!!!!!!!!!. .....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

People take up marathon running late in life and can do it pretty well, you take up boxing late in life you might not even see a 12 round fight.

Marathon running is tough no doubt and involves a lot of stamina both mental and physical, but in boxing you have someone actively trying to stop you from your job and hurt you on top of requiring a ton of stamina both physical and mental (even more so than marathon runner).

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              With all due respect to runners, they don't get punched in the face whilst doing it.
              pretty much this.

Comment

Haha!

I've heard runners say how tough it is for them and I laugh.

You dont fight for your life when you run a marathon.

Marathon runners can slow down when they need to. Fighters can't.

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
                  12 rounds in the ring is MUCH harder than ANY marathon.

Stress levels, can't go at your own pace, every punch makes you hold your breath, fast twitch muscles being used as well as anaerobic activity. Not even close.

Marathon running is like, .................................................. .......

12 rounds of boxing is like, ........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......!!!!!!!....!!!!!!!!!. .....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  I agree that boxing is generally harder than running, but a marathon on a world level is quite a feat. The current record for the marathon is 2:03. That's a 4:42 per mile pace. You have any idea how extremely difficult that is? There isn't a single member of Boxingscene that can run that fast for a single mile, let alone 26.2.

Comment

hmmm I'm partially disappointed, I was expecting a Mayweather-marathon joke from the pactards by now.

Comment

Working...
                    X