Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Busting the myth of Rigo doing tons more than Agbeko (AKA: the 850 punch myth)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
    Rigo was active, and boxing fans still walked out of the arena, knowing they had better things to do than to watch this boring *****.
    the fight was in NY - the fans went to see Tapia, Tapia got knocked out, they were disappointed, people in general don't care about fighter who fight under 130 that is unless they are of Mexican or Philipino descent.

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
      You can clearly see he has been doing the same thing since forever, and it's not me just saying it there is proof right there.
      Exactly, he hasn't changed a single bit and has no intention to change. When what he does doesn't work, he continues to do the same.

does not mean he didn't make a bigger effort than ever to make this a fight
      Oh, whoop de doo. He threw slightly more boring lazy range finder/feint jabs than usual. That's hardly something to brag about.

Gone Mayorga on his ass and let Agbeko get in free shots ?
      What is it with Rigo fans? You're either a defensive wizard or a punching bag brawler. As if there's nothing inbetween. For one, he could have actually thrown some real jabs with power instead of a bunch of lazy half ass jabs. That goes a long way for entertainment purposes. Agbeko was a guy who wasn't throwing anything. There was nothing to fear.
      Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 02-04-2014, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Exactly, he hasn't changed a single bit and has no intention to change. When what he does doesn't work, he continues to do the same.
        He became 2 time gold medalist, and a p4p pro boxer with that style Id say it has worked great, but he ran out of ideas in that fight it was clear to see he had no fking clue how to get a guy who went Clottey on him out of there. **** even Pac Couldnt get Clottey when Clottey went Clottey on him.

Oh, whoop de doo. He threw slightly more boring lazy range finder jabs than usual. That's hardly something to brag about.
        637 is not "slightly" over 240 which is his average ( refer back to the first pic i posted) ffs that is part of his offensive. I already explained this, and how it works to you just watch the damn videos.

What is it with Rigo fans? You're either a defensive wizard or a punching bag brawler. As if there's nothing inbetween. For one could have actually thrown some more real jabs. Agbeko was a guy who wasn't throwing anything. There was nothing to fear.
        Calm down and digest the facts that's the problem with people here. Everyone listens to reply nobody listens to understand. Every fighter has a different temperament, and a certain certain way of going about their business as hard as you may try Leo Santa cruz will never ever ever be as good at his defense, and footwork as Rigo is. Just as Rigo will never ever ever be a crazy punches throwing machine even if he is capable of doing it wont happen, and is not only because that is what he likes,and his temperament IT WORKS.

Comment

I heard someone use that, I didn't respond, I simply just shook my head and ignored. Rigondeaux measures a lot, this is why I picked Donaire to beat him because I felt Donaire would get the left hook over once Rigondeaux started doing it but nope

Comment

Originally posted by MODAPHUKA View Post
            So , up to the 6th round close to 50% were pity pat range finder punches??? Very interesting....

I also saw the "800" punches post here a lot. And I noticed myself how he throws those lazy punches to keep distance and measure , I had no idea it was that many tho.
            Oh it was a ton. Don't let compubox fool you, he was throwing with 0 intention of landing most of them.

Comment

He became 2 time gold medalist, and a p4p pro boxer with that style Id say it has worked great
              That's all well and good, but now he's banned from HBO. I made this thread in response to people being mad at HBO for blackballing Rigo while claiming it wasn't his fault by citing the compubox number.

, but he ran out of ideas in that fight it was clear to see he had no fking clue how to get a guy who went Clottey on him out of there. **** even Pac Couldnt get Clottey when Clottey went Clottey on him.
              When Clottey shelled up, Pac saw that he wasn't fighting back, so he threw more punches than he had ever thrown before. 1231 of them. Pac did not play it safe. He tried to give the people a show. Nobody blamed the lackluster fight on Pacquiao for a reason.

When Agbeko shelled up, Rigo did not try harder than usual. And abeko's defense is nowhere close to Clottey's.

637 is not "slightly" over 240 which is his average ( refer back to the first pic i posted) ffs that is part of his offensive. I already explained this, and how it works to you just watch the damn videos.
              I'm not even sure he threw more pitty pat jabs than usual. It' likely the case that different people were used for each fight and they had different opinions of what constituted a jab thrown.

And even if he did, to the audience, they're equivalent to throwing nothing at all. This is my whole point. The audience didn't see it as Rigo putting in any extra effort. They were bored to death and changed the channel. A fighter throwing 850 real punches in a fight would not have gotten he same derision Rigo got.
              Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 02-04-2014, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Measuring with no intent to land does not count as a jab thrown, he is a boring fighter and nothing other than Rigo changing his style can change that no one wants to watch a skillful fencing match with gloved hands.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                  That's all well and good, but now he's banned from HBO. I made this thread in response to people being mad at HBO for blackballing Rigo while claiming it wasn't his fault by citing the compubox number.
                  Says who ? They talked the same **** just like before I keep telling people all the press is great for Rigondeaux worst press is no press. People site the compubox because he did go out of his way to make the fight it's right there in the numbers the before and after from previous fights literally is a huge difference he has his way of doing things, and lets remember he is a counter puncher not Pacquiao he tried to get action his way but didn't work because Agbeko was completely demoralized.

When Clottey shelled up, Pac saw that he wasn't fighting back, so he threw more punches than he had ever thrown before. 1231 of them. Pac did not play it safe. He tried to give the people a show.
                  And how did all that punch throwing work out was it entertaining? Hell no he tried and failed just like Rigondeaux did, but one guy is a super star the other is not. You can't ask Rigondeaux to do what Pacquiao does with his offense anymore than you can ask Pacquiao do what Rigondeaux does with his defense.

When Agbeko shelled up, Rigo did not try harder than usual. And abeko's defense is nowhere close to Clottey's.

I'm not even sure he threw more pitty pat jabs than usual. It' likely the case that different people were used for each fight and they had different opinions of what constituted a jab thrown.
                  If you are not sure of what he throws or how he fights then why are you even posting this? If you don't know or don't watch his fights then why even post this thread making assumptions when you have not seen enough of his previous fights to say he did not try harder than his usual?. I am telling you facts, he did.

And even if he did, to the audience, they're equivalent to throwing nothing at all. This is my whole point. The audience didn't see it as Rigo putting in any extra effort. They were bored to death and changed the channel. A fighter throwing 850 real punches in a fight would not have gotten he same derision Rigo got.

Yes you're right the audience didn't understand what was going on just like you didn't. I know it isn't appealing, but that was his way to get Agbeko to do something, and it has been his way since his first gold medal more than a decade ago and it is now, and everyone who says he throws pity pat jabs and 600+ range finders are so out of it that it almost makes me sad for Rigondeaux's opponents and their chances of figuring the puzzle out.

As I have said before his lazy jab is 70% playing possum hoping to get jumped he even uses it as a faint sometimes, and it has been so for more than a decade just watch him in the olympics there are so many nuances to his game its not even funny how badly people don't get some things.

He tried to get Agbeko to show signs of life with his possum jab (phrase trademarked) in an alarming desperate kind of way compared to previous fights. He did all he could in his own way, and it didn't work. You can say his style isn't appealing you can say he is boring, but what sure as **** cant be said is that he didn't try harder than usual that night ....don't drink that Arum cool aid.

Pacquiao's way to conquer his man was to throw punches in bunches because he was an aggressive fighter Rigondeaux's way was to try to bait Agbeko to come at him when his power punches just made the man shell up more and more, and they both failed and both fights where boring as shieeettteee but lets blame Pacquiao and Rigondeaux for that.

Last edited by DannYankee; 02-04-2014, 03:02 AM.

Comment

There are few boxing fans, they are also fight fans. There are many fight fans, few are boxing fans. Rigo is a boxer through and through. Hence few fans. I love watching him box if most don't then so what.

Comment

Good investigation. I've done similar reports in the past on Compubox, their numbers simply can't be trusted when it comes to certain fighters and style types.

Comment

Working...
                      X