Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did running get so hard for me all of sudden?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did running get so hard for me all of sudden?

Just last week I was able to run 5 miles. I could have run 10 miles if I wanted to. Today when I ran it was so difficult. I was breathing hard. I wasn't running as fast. I just felt heavy. I could barely run two miles. I refuse to believe that two bottles of beer can make that much difference. That, to me, just doesn't make sense logically. Can anyone help me out here?? Is it because I was running at a different time than when I normally run?

Maybe you got a cold coming

Comment

you hit the proverbial wall dude, your body can still do more but your mental state is holding you back. take a day or two off and that should allow your body and more importantly your mind enough time to rebuild and regroup..........Rockin'

Comment

There are any number of factors:

The time of day

How hydrated you are

How nourished you are

Shortage of sleep

Having trained too hard recently

being a bit 'run down'

Coming down with a virus

We can't always feel at our best all the time........

Comment

The simple answer is your mental state. I can sometimes run for 10 miles and not even be breathing heavy, the next day after a mile im gone. The most important part of any excercise is mental. Maybe something has distracted you or affected you quite badly?

Comment

How long before you ran were you drinking beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              There are any number of factors:

The time of day

How hydrated you are

How nourished you are

Shortage of sleep

Having trained too hard recently

being a bit 'run down'

Coming down with a virus

We can't always feel at our best all the time........
              I would add in the weather to this list.

My best runs are in the dead of summer, 90 degrees plus with a suana suit for good measure. I feel so loose and flexible, and feel like I could go all day.

In cold, rainy/snowy, windy conditions, my joints feel like they're covered with rust, and the cold air makes my lungs give out quicker. For some reason, my lungs cannot handle training in cold (sub-30 degree) weather.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
                Just last week I was able to run 5 miles. I could have run 10 miles if I wanted to. Today when I ran it was so difficult. I was breathing hard. I wasn't running as fast. I just felt heavy. I could barely run two miles. I refuse to believe that two bottles of beer can make that much difference. That, to me, just doesn't make sense logically. Can anyone help me out here?? Is it because I was running at a different time than when I normally run?
                Sounds like you're overtrained, under-nourished, or have a cold/flu coming. If it's a one off, don't worry too much about it.

Good idea to get a heart monitor to use for your runs as well. You can pick them up pretty cheap. Sometimes your body genuinely is really struggling with the work, sometimes it can be in your head.

Comment

mind over matter. Everyone hits that. Now you saying you refuse to believe a beer can do that so in a way you blaming the beer mentally and allowing yourself to quit. Also your body do need rest and needs to be well hydrated for prolonged runs.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                    I would add in the weather to this list.

My best runs are in the dead of summer, 90 degrees plus with a suana suit for good measure. I feel so loose and flexible, and feel like I could go all day.

In cold, rainy/snowy, windy conditions, my joints feel like they're covered with rust, and the cold air makes my lungs give out quicker. For some reason, my lungs cannot handle training in cold (sub-30 degree) weather.
                    Its funny, but I thrive more in the colder months. My best racing performances in the last year have come between September and April. But you do need a bigger warmup to loosen up......

Comment

Working...
                    X