Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roger Federer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Federer was in his prime he would win this clearly but since dudes about 7-8 years removed from his peak and the fact that Nadal is possibly the worst match up stylistically for him that is possible in tennis...I am not too confident of his chances.

I remember Federer could switch from defense to offense with one unbelievable shot but nowadays he is much more easier to read and predict obviously due to age. Nadal is relentless, he will punish Federers backhand. The Australian Open is a slow hardcourt so it favors Nadals game more and it is medium/high bouncing which also favours Nadal. Federer prefers low bounce and quicker surfaces like early Wimbledon/US Open (which is gradually getting slower by the year unfortunately).

I see Nadal in four sets, though i wouldn't be surprised if he does it in three. That being said, I would love it if Federer won because I'm pretty sure he'd beat Wawrinka/Ferrer in the final. Beating Tsonga, Murray, Nadal and Wawrinka/Ferrer would be a pretty epic run to be fair. Murray wasn't at his best for this match either due to coming off surgery but Federer has a game that when he is on simply beats Murrays due to Murrays passive nature/relatively weak forehand.

I do feel Federer has a better chance of beating Nadal this time round than when they last played in 2012 I believe. Dude has far less pressure on himself especially he played some great tennis at the end of 2011 and he was expected to mount a serious challenge, this time round in the Aus Open hes coming off a pretty awful year by his standards and hes been a bit more lowkey. Should be interesting.
    Last edited by hayZ; 01-22-2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
      If Federer was in his prime he would win this clearly but since dudes about 7-8 years removed from his peak and the fact that Nadal is possibly the worst match up stylistically for him that is possible in tennis...I am not too confident of his chances.

I remember Federer could switch from defense to offense with one unbelievable shot but nowadays he is much more easier to read and predict obviously due to age. Nadal is relentless, he will punish Federers backhand. The Australian Open is a slow hardcourt so it favors Nadals game more and it is medium/high bouncing which also favours Nadal. Federer prefers low bounce and quicker surfaces like early Wimbledon/US Open (which is gradually getting slower by the year unfortunately).

I see Nadal in four sets, though i wouldn't be surprised if he does it in three. That being said, I would love it if Federer won because I'm pretty sure he'd beat Wawrinka/Ferrer in the final. Beating Tsonga, Murray, Nadal and Wawrinka/Ferrer would be a pretty epic run to be fair. Murray wasn't at his best for this match either due to coming off surgery but Federer has a game that when he is on simply beats Murrays due to Murrays passive nature/relatively weak forehand.

I do feel Federer has a better chance of beating Nadal this time round than when they last played in 2012 I believe. Dude has far less pressure on himself especially he played some great tennis at the end of 2011 and he was expected to mount a serious challenge, this time round in the Aus Open hes coming off a pretty awful year by his standards and hes been a bit more lowkey. Should be interesting.
      Very nice assessment, however I'll have to give you a B-. It is Wawrinka/Berdych in the other semi's.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamjr91 View Post
        I think if Federer beats Nadal and wins this title there can be no argument against his GOAT status.
        I don't think anyone can question Federer as being the G.O.A.T.

It really was a fantastic performance and had some shades of old school Federer about it today. Really hope he can pull it off against Nadal. The only worry for me was the number of break points he struggled to convert (Murray deserves credit for fighting back though).

Wonder how much Nadal's "injury" will come into play.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
          I don't think anyone can question Federer as being the G.O.A.T.

It really was a fantastic performance and had some shades of old school Federer about it today. Really hope he can pull it off against Nadal. The only worry for me was the number of break points he struggled to convert (Murray deserves credit for fighting back though).

Wonder how much Nadal's "injury" will come into play.
          Some nutters think Federer is over rated

I hope Nadal really struggles with his grip and Federer does him in 3

Comment

Some nutters think Federer is over rated

I hope Nadal really struggles with his grip and Federer does him in 3
            If you really want a laugh, look at the last quote in my sig

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
              If you really want a laugh, look at the last quote in my sig

Comment

Nadal will take him. Again.

Comment

Federer hasn't beaten Nadal in a big match since 07.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunk.. View Post
                    Federer hasn't beaten Nadal in a big match since 07.
                    I'd say the WTF 2010/11 and 12 matches were pretty big. Not as big as the slams but a WTF final is still a pretty big deal in the tennis world.

Comment

Murray had no answer for those old school serve and volley tactics . Federer should have definitely closed it in three.

I always feel when players coast through to the semi's unchallenged it hurts them when they are finally in a competitive match.

I think if Federer beats Nadal and wins this title there can be no argument against his GOAT status.

PS. I hate that sulky scottish ****.
                      Federer is a GOAT since some years ago...
                      Please check Wikipedia again...
                      "Numerous commentators, pundits, and former and current players of the sport regard Federer as the greatest tennis player of all time."

Comment

Working...
                      X