Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chavez, Whitaker, Mayweather, Pacman: Who Had the Strongest Run as P4P King?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
    well who's focking fault was it that Floyd wanted to step out right when his division was stacked?

he mighta looked vulnerable had he tried to clean his division and lost that spot anyway

but we'll never know because he conveniently left

mothefockers act like he stepped out of the game because he was injured or some ****...he stepped out to protect himself
    People can go back and forth all day on why Floyd left when he did. Just like you can debate on whether MJ retired because he was really tired of the game or because Stern forced him to leave.

But in my eyes Floyd got his number 1 spot back when he came out of retirement. Whatever reasons why he retired I dont know so I dont care about it

Comment

Roy Jones Jr.

Comment

gotcha

yea, during the 90s, there was a good debate on who was the true #1...Roy was comin on strong...rarely losing a round in any fight and Pea, before he faded was almost just as dominant

what was cool was James Toney was also highly ranked in the p4p rankings when he fought Roy...some lists had Roy at 2 and Toney at 3 when they went at it...a true p4p showdown
        Yeah.... Good days for the sport

The 's will say we're being nostalgic

Comment

Out of those mentioned, either Chavez or Pea.

Back then pfp was far more respectable. Currently pfp is a popularity contest.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
            Yeah.... Good days for the sport

The 's will say we're being nostalgic

man i still have that fight on VHS...i remember Toney comin in the ring to Black Superman...i think i watched that fight at least 20 times

Comment

Originally posted by SixFootGiant View Post
              Mayweather. Only reason Pacquiao got the P4P 1 spot in the first place was when Floyd left. IMO once Floyd came back in my book he became P4P number 1 again.

It's like Jordan leaving the NBA in 1993 but coming back in 1995 and reclaiming his spot as the HNIC in the league
              floyd only got to number 1 after beating gatti(and before that a long series of bums) you act like he beat duran, benitez and hearns back to back.

Comment

whitaker imo.

pacquiao was never truly the best p4p fighter in the world, ho got it bcuz floyd decided to take a vacation and should have lost it twice when he lost to marquez not to mention the day mayweather came back.

if i recall correctly chavez' run as #1 p4p wasnt his best run in terms of competition. he was fighting more often than the rest and beating everyone (until sweet p) but taking on alot of bums. chavez always fought alot of bums, why he had so many fights, he took on great fighters too. but if my memory is right the time he was #1 p4p had fewer top notch fighters than the years before or after. he fought camacho during that time but who else? he had so many fights i could just be wrong too.

you could argue mayweather was as far ahead of his competition as whitaker, i would disagree but you would have a decent case. whitaker fought in a better time though and had tougher competition. its hard though, they were both the best p4p fighter before (and in mayweathers case after) they won/lost the official #1 spot. bcuz roy had such a name ppl didnt want to bump him down til he lost, but in reality floyd was better than roy before tarver knocked him out.

you could argue floyd was the best p4p fighter in the sport in terms of pure ability from the day he beat genaro hernandez like 14 years ago even though his resume wasnt strong enough at that point. surely hes been #1 since he came back from retirement.

ill still go with whitaker though, you got the feeling that even though he was #1 ppl didnt want to fight him.

Comment

loved sweet pea but roy was right up there with him IMO
                  This is true and Roy was more dominant IMO

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                    whitaker imo.

pacquiao was never truly the best p4p fighter in the world, ho got it bcuz floyd decided to take a vacation and should have lost it twice when he lost to marquez not to mention the day mayweather came back.

if i recall correctly chavez' run as #1 p4p wasnt his best run in terms of competition. he was fighting more often than the rest and beating everyone (until sweet p) but taking on alot of bums. chavez always fought alot of bums, why he had so many fights, he took on great fighters too. but if my memory is right the time he was #1 p4p had fewer top notch fighters than the years before or after. he fought camacho during that time but who else? he had so many fights i could just be wrong too.

you could argue mayweather was as far ahead of his competition as whitaker, i would disagree but you would have a decent case. whitaker fought in a better time though and had tougher competition. its hard though, they were both the best p4p fighter before (and in mayweathers case after) they won/lost the official #1 spot. bcuz roy had such a name ppl didnt want to bump him down til he lost, but in reality floyd was better than roy before tarver knocked him out.

you could argue floyd was the best p4p fighter in the sport in terms of pure ability from the day he beat genaro hernandez like 14 years ago even though his resume wasnt strong enough at that point. surely hes been #1 since he came back from retirement.

ill still go with whitaker though, you got the feeling that even though he was #1 ppl didnt want to fight him.
                    I agree with this.

Plus I think Whitaker had the toughest run out of the 4 in terms of competition with Chavez, McGirt, Julio Cesar Vazquez, Rivera X2 and Oscar De La Hoya.

Comment

Originally posted by GoogleMe View Post
                      I agree - Roy Jones were the best fighter in the 90's.
                      He won fighter of decade to.....

Comment

Working...
                      X