No announcement yet.

Never understood hype around Fedor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunthunder View Post
    Whatever. Have you seen Hendersons fights against Kondo, Ninja, Bustmante, Newton and Nogueira? I have, and he didn't win them. And a lot of people feel the same way.
    Most of those are like a decade ago before Henderson peaked. Hendo became better slowly as the years went by and by the time Pride was ending he was at the top of his game. That's the version Anderson Silva destroyed. And he still got those wins anyway, which means they were close fights that could have gone either way. You are very biased against him and just trolling so I don't expect you to be objective. You'd WANT Hendo to only have gift wins, but that's not reality bro. Only "robbery" was against Big Nog imo but thats still a testiment to his greatness that he could compete against such a great heavyweight.

Before he fought Wanderlei Henderson was basically viewed as a very inconsistant fighter, which he was. That's not disrespect, it's perspective. I like Henderson, but knocking out Wanderlei and Fedor at the tail end of their careers doesn't make up for the rest of his career where he was lucky to win a lot of decisions. No one was calling for Henderson vs Wanderlei at Pride 33, they wanted Rogerio Nogueira vs Wanderlei, there was no enthusiasm behind Henderson at the time because just over a year ago he'd lost Misaki and got a decision he never deserved over Bustamante. All time greats don't scrape past guys like Kondo and Ninja, they blow through them.
    He wasn't lucky to have many wins. And you can rip on Kondo and ninja all you want but they were quality fighters in their prime years. The way you tried to discredit his entire career is the work of a complete clown. Everybody knows Hendo is an ATG, and Anderson destroyed him.

And no, Cro Cop isn't a top 10 all time great, but neither is Vitor, and Cro Cop in his prime was a better striker than Vitor.
    This is the second time you're changing your tune. Who said aynything about top 10? So a fighter is never an all time great unless he's in the top 10 goat list? Redicilous.

Comment

Originally posted by boxkickboxmma View Post
      Most of those are like a decade ago before Henderson peaked. Hendo became better slowly as the years went by and by the time Pride was ending he was at the top of his game. That's the version Anderson Silva destroyed. And he still got those wins anyway, which means they were close fights that could have gone either way. You are very biased against him and just trolling so I don't expect you to be objective. You'd WANT Hendo to only have gift wins, but that's not reality bro. Only "robbery" was against Big Nog imo but thats still a testiment to his greatness that he could compete against such a great heavyweight.

He wasn't lucky to have many wins. And you can rip on Kondo and ninja all you want but they were quality fighters in their prime years. The way you tried to discredit his entire career is the work of a complete clown. Everybody knows Hendo is an ATG, and Anderson destroyed him.

This is the second time you're changing your tune. Who said aynything about top 10? So a fighter is never an all time great unless he's in the top 10 goat list? Redicilous.
      If you think the only robbery was Nogueira I'd stipulate that you haven't seen those fights. Not many people will defend the Bustamante and Kondo decisions. I still think he did win the Franklin/Goes/Babalu fights but not the others.

And again, my point is that the very top top greats didn't have "fights that could have gone either way" against sub-elite competiton. Henderson has a lot of them. When was the last time GSP had a fight that could have gone either way? His nickname was "Decision Dan" for a reason.

I'm unconvinced Henderson is better now than he was early in his career. I don't think the level of competition he's faced recently is good enough to prove that. Lost to Shields, two wins against outside top 10 middleweights, scraped past Franklin, beat Babalu and an unproven Feijao. It's the same path he's always followed, sometimes he's great, but other times he's really underwhelming.

Most of your argument seems to revolve around saying Henderson is an ATG simply through sheer insistence. "Henderson is an ATG because everyone knows he is".

He's a great fighter, but he never had a run like GSP, Anderson, Nogueira, Fedor, Hughes, Liddell, Gomi etc.

Saying I'm trolling/clown/whatever other borish insults doesn't actually address what I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by sunthunder View Post
        If you think the only robbery was Nogueira I'd stipulate that you haven't seen those fights. Not many people will defend the Bustamante and Kondo decisions. I still think he did win the Franklin/Goes/Babalu fights but not the others.

And again, my point is that the very top top greats didn't have "fights that could have gone either way" against sub-elite competiton. Henderson has a lot of them. When was the last time GSP had a fight that could have gone either way? His nickname was "Decision Dan" for a reason.

I'm unconvinced Henderson is better now than he was early in his career. I don't think the level of competition he's faced recently is good enough to prove that. Lost to Shields, two wins against outside top 10 middleweights, scraped past Franklin, beat Babalu and an unproven Feijao. It's the same path he's always followed, sometimes he's great, but other times he's really underwhelming.

Most of your argument seems to revolve around saying Henderson is an ATG simply through sheer insistence. "Henderson is an ATG because everyone knows he is".

He's a great fighter, but he never had a run like GSP, Anderson, Nogueira, Fedor, Hughes, Liddell, Gomi etc.

Saying I'm trolling/clown/whatever other borish insults doesn't actually address what I'm saying.
        Now that you're put on the spot, you actually admit he did win most of those fights. WHat happened to the guy that claimed ALL of those fights were robberies? Glad you're starting to pick up your act.

And also, you are wrong about Greats not having close fights. Almost all of the greats will have a couple of fights that could have gone either way. You obviously haven't followed this sport for long.

And Hendo's comp has been pretty damn high the past few years. In his last 10 fights he fought mostly champions/former champions and the worst guy he fought was babalu. And you see how well he does now compared to his early years. SO yeah, hendo did peak late in his career.

And no I don't say he's an ATG because I insist, the only thing I insist is that you're a trolling hater. Why Hendo is an ATG is because of his consistent record, being a champion in multiple weight classes and almost all the top mma organizations ever, holding wins over atg heavyweights even though he started out a middleweight, he's still this good at his age etc etc. Just give it up man. Quit hating on Silva and his opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by boxkickboxmma View Post
          Now that you're put on the spot, you actually admit he did win most of those fights. WHat happened to the guy that claimed ALL of those fights were robberies? Glad you're starting to pick up your act.

And also, you are wrong about Greats not having close fights. Almost all of the greats will have a couple of fights that could have gone either way. You obviously haven't followed this sport for long.

And Hendo's comp has been pretty damn high the past few years. In his last 10 fights he fought mostly champions/former champions and the worst guy he fought was babalu. And you see how well he does now compared to his early years. SO yeah, hendo did peak late in his career.

And no I don't say he's an ATG because I insist, the only thing I insist is that
          you're a trolling hater. Why Hendo is an ATG is because of his consistent record, being a champion in multiple weight classes and almost all the top
          mma organizations ever, holding wins over atg heavyweights even though he started out a middleweight, he's still this good at his age etc etc. Just give it
          up man. Quit hating on Silva and his opponents.
          Actually, my stance on Hendersons fights is exactly the same as I intimated in my first post. I think he lost to Newton, ninja, Kondo, Nogueira and Bustamante. I scored the Franklin, Babalu and Goes fights for Henderson. So no, I did not think he won "most of those fights" inspite of your poor attempt to portray me as changing my position.

Most greats don't have many fights that could have gone either way. Fedor has the Arona fight, Nogueira has the Ricco fight and first Barnett fight. GSP has maybe the first Penn fight. Nothing compared to Henderson.

His record has never been consistent. Anyone who really followed the sport in the early years knows that. And your accusation that I haven't followed the sport for long is an interesting one for someone with a 2010 join date.

Your posts are littered with ad hominem attacks. They're unnecessary and ad nothing functional to the discussion.

Again, Henderson is a great win for Silva, but he's nowhere near as good a win as Nogueira is for Fedor.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimbo Army View Post
            Watching his fights he lunges with punches which he does have good power. He over commits and leaves himself wide open. he is a great sambo wrestler with a hay-maker but imo thats it...

What made ppl love him and accept him as the peoples champ is he is humble, respectful, great composure, and fights were exciting with his wild punching techniques. He may be overrated but he is a class act all the way and Dana white is a douche bag to disrespect Fedor when he never did anything towards Zuffa or anything. Fedor didnt rank himself number 1, the media did, the media created this russian fighter with a mistique around him.

One of the things I liked about Fedor is even though he had really bad technique he still managed to win and even though he did not cut weight he still beat bigger guys and was undefeated for a long time. I think the main reason he received so much hype is because of what he was able to do and accomplish with what he had. He was close to your average joe but made the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack3d View Post

A record of 31-1 looks like a great record until you dissect his actual resume and the opposition he's fighting.

I will say though it is hard to go undefeated for as long as he did, even if his competition wasn't always consistently the best.

Being undefeated for so long is the reason why he was so revered and you could argue, maybe the only reason.

His record does have a ton of padding and nobody knows if he could kept an undefeated streak as long as he did if he didn't fight cans and say had to fight, Frank Mir, Randy Couture, Josh Barnett, Sergei...etc earlier in his career maybe he would have taken a loss somewhere.

The one easy thing to attest to how good he was is to ask yourself, between 2002-2007 would you favor any other HW in the world to beat him? I would say there was close to a solid 5 year period where he was the best. As much as Dana wants to bash him he still would have been favored against anyone for a long period.

I don't buy that Fedor is past his prime, he just didn't evolve.

After watching everything unfold I don't buy that. Fedor's game changed, there's no question about that. We have to ask ourselves why would he go from a more ground based attacking style to a wild headhunting style? Don't you think logically there must be something physically that changed with him as hes getting older where he isn't fighting on the ground much? Think about if GSP all of suddenly starting headhunting. How long you think he would last at 170?

Comment

It's sad that Fedor's career is ending the same way Gomi's did, both suffering from similar flaws, though Fedor's are likely more physically-rooted due to age and lack of dietary control.

Comment

He got dropped on his head with all of his body weight on his neck and then came around and won the fight.

THat's probably would made him so famous.

Comment

What Fedor has done is like GSP cleaning out the LHW division in spectacular fashion.

Comment

Working...
                    X