No announcement yet.

VIDEO: 72 year old boxer whoops young kickboxer in ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
    The great thing about boxing is that experience often counts more than fitness and desire to win.

There is usually a lot of respect for older guys in the gym, and this video shows why.

I am 42 years old now, I coach only and am in OK shape but nothing like as fit and motivated to train as my students.

Most of my guys are around 19-15yrs old, young bloods with fire in their bellies.

Sometimes I lace up and spar a bit, just to let them know what 25 years of throwing leather can bring.

Remember young bloods, the old dog knows all the tricks.

Peace.

I'd used to do a bit of MMA training before it was popular. It was all very middle-class and leisurely to be honest, not the testosterone fest that we now associated with the discipline.

Anyhow, it was run by an older guy and his two sons. They had the arrogance that comes with youth and where surprisingly easy to pick off in sparring considering their level of experience.

The old guy though. . . completely different prospect. He knew he'd slipped physically and was beatable so he gave you nothing. Everything he threw was designed to be short and direct. Every hold and a number of strikes where intent on joint popping and limb breaking.

He looked like an affable old teddy bear but he was a dangerous, dangerous man. And that was because of his age, he no longer had the mental inclination or the physical capacity to play around. It was quite an eye opener. I learnt a lot from training with him.
    Last edited by - Ram Raid -; 10-19-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X