No announcement yet.

Richard Steele's Call on Chavez-Taylor I

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    I'm undecided on this. It's not really up to the ref to know the time but, then again Meldrick deserved the decision easily so it's really unfair to him.

JCC has a lot of odd discrepencies on his record.

Yes he does. The bogus TD decision he got in the second fight with Randall was one of them. Chavez fans don't like to talk about it but Chavez quit in a that fight and he was well on his way to losing it.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Steel knew how much time was left as a referee is supposed too. When there are 10 seconds left in the round referees are notified of this. That "timekeeper" excuse" doesn't cut it. And the 15 round analogy is irrelevant. It wasn't a 15 round fight. Steele did a lot of things wrong in that sequence and stopping the fight was one of them.
      With the noise in that arena, I wouldn't be surprised if he missed the warning. I don't know if he has said anything on it, but it got really, really loud as soon as Chavez landed the overhand that rocked Taylor the first time. It's a questionable stoppage but I don't think it's the kind of joke that most seem to think it is.

Originally posted by Bastian Loc View Post
      I'm talking about the ramifications that it had on his boxing career for "losing" the fight on paper.
      Regardless, Taylor wasn't half the fighter after that fight. If he had won, he would have been seriously depleted for his next fight. He just was never the same.

Comment

[/B]

Yes he does. The bogus TD decision he got in the second fight with Randall was one of them. Chavez fans don't like to talk about it but Chavez quit in a that fight and he was well on his way to losing it.
        He also quit against Tzyu and Oscar.

People like to claim he didn't quit, but he did.

He quit.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
          With the noise in that arena, I wouldn't be surprised if he missed the warning. I don't know if he has said anything on it, but it got really, really loud as soon as Chavez landed the overhand that rocked Taylor the first time. It's a questionable stoppage but I don't think it's the kind of joke that most seem to think it is.

Regardless, Taylor wasn't half the fighter after that fight. If he had won, he would have been seriously depleted for his next fight. He just was never the same.
          But he would've made more money, had a bigger name and more leverage to at least be compensated more for having his insides turned to liquid shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bastian Loc View Post
            But he would've made more money, had a bigger name and more leverage to at least be compensated more for having his insides turned to liquid shit.
            That is fair. I didn't ever look at it like that.

Comment

There was also a red light that flashed at the 10 second warning. Noise wouldn't have interfered with that. Either way, I believe Steele knew very well how much time was left. He gets paid to be aware of that and it's his job. He can't just "miss things". Scott made a good point with how Steele used different standards for different fighters. He allowed Tommy Hearns to continue against Iran Barkley when Hearns was much more hurt than Taylor. Hearns was clearly out of it.

My argument isn't with what Taylor was after the fight. That's irrelevant. I'm not even a fan of Taylor at all. My argument is with what happened THAT night and Taylor got screwed.
              Last edited by joseph5620; 02-13-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

There was also a red light that flashed at the 10 second warning. Noise wouldn't have interfered with that. Either way, I believe Steele knew very well how much time is left. He gets paid to be aware of that and it's his job. He can't just "miss" things". Scott made a good point with how Steele used different standards for different fighters. He allowed Tommy Hearns to continue against Iran Barkley when Hearns was much more hurt than Taylor. Hearns was clearly out of it.

My argument isn't with what Taylor was after the fight. That's irrelevant. I'm not even a fan of Taylor at all. My argument is with what happened THAT night and Taylor got screwed.
                I disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, though.

Comment

Taylor didn't respond to Steele when he asked "are you ok? can you continue?" He looked over Steele's ear. Now WE know that he was looking at his corner for instructions, but if you're Steele in that instance, you have to work under the assumption that he's so scrambled that he doesn't even realize that you're there. Couple that with the fact that it's not Steele's job to be timekeeper and I think it's a valid stoppage. If it was five years earlier and a 15 rounder, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Exactly! Nice post.

Comment

All Taylor had to do was respond when asked if he could continue instead he was out on his feet. Time dosnt come into it, Steele was perfectly entitled to stop it

Comment

I back Steele on this one, it was a good stoppage.

Somebody mentioned how a win would have been so much better for his finances, ****, there isn't enough money in the world that could bring back what Chavez took out of Taylor that night. As far as I'm concerned Taylor was damaged goods after that fight. Yeah, gives Taylor extra money as he sits on his couch starring out a window in his pugilistica induced demensia.

And in Steeles defense, the referees primary job is to ensure that the fighters are looked after. Taylor folded to the canvas after Chavezs bomb, when he got up he looked pretty well ****ed up to me. 6 seconds, 4 seconds or 2 seconds, if Steele would have let that fight continue the next shot might have killed Taylor.

As for the 15 round comment, Taylor never even would have made it out of the 13th round if he was even able to rise from his stool to answer the 13th bell.

Good stoppage by Steele..............Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                      X