No announcement yet.

Conor McGregor Rematch: is OBSESSED with Nate Diaz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor McGregor Rematch: is OBSESSED with Nate Diaz

Many thought it was a bad idea the first time around, and the doubters have increased in number. Conors pride and ego seems to be his downfall in this case – he was offered the fight at 155, close to his natural weight, but he opted for 170, which is Nate’s natural weight, and also the division Conor got pounded in.

155 is not close to Conor's natural weight.

Comment

McGregor is as natural to 155 as canelol is

Comment

John Kavanagh: Conor is the more skilful fighter and he’ll prove that in July

http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-co...76861-Mar2016/
        ALWAYS TAKE WHAT you hear from a fighter in the aftermath of a bout with a grain of salt.

Understandably, after Conor McGregor was defeated by Nate Diaz at UFC 196, he was inundated with questions from the media about his next move.
        A featherweight title bout against Jose Aldo or Frankie Edgar was mooted, and I would have been quite satisfied with either fight. However, the landscape gradually changed and that inaugural 145lbs title defence is now going to have to wait.

I don’t believe people should have microphones stuck in their faces immediately after a fight. There’s a lot going through your mind at a time like that so the response you’re forced to give may not necessarily be an accurate reflection of your views.

When we got back to the changing room after the fight, a rematch with Diaz was already being discussed. A defence of Conor’s featherweight belt was also mentioned, but as the hours drifted by, the frustration of not doing himself justice began to take hold and grate.

Conor chased this rematch. That’s how it has come about. He’s much more concerned about trying to give a perfect representation of his ability than he is about material things like belts or money. That’s just a fact. Money is certainly not a motivating factor anymore because he has already made plenty of it.

Conor believes that the last fight didn’t accurately reflect the skills and ability he possesses, so he’s eager to address that. He ended up harassing UFC president Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta on a daily basis for a rematch. This is the fight that’s of most interest to him right now.

I doubt that any non-biased observer could look at the first round of that 5 March bout at the MGM Grand and not score it in Conor’s favour. For me, we saw the technical difference between the two fighters in that opening frame. The difference in the second round was down to cardio, and a cardio issue is much easier to rectify than a skill one.

Going into that second round, the gameplan was straightforward: repeat what had happened in the first round… for five rounds, if necessary. However, that’s not how it ultimately played out.

Conor’s cardio wasn’t as it should have been, but there was certainly no complacency. We didn’t train any differently for the fight. I believe it was more a case of there being a strategy error i.e. trying to stop a bigger man who’s known for having a strong chin with every single punch.

When you’re landing punches on any opponent, it gets tiring. There’s no two ways about that. With a strategy adjustment, the fight is going to play out in a similar manner to that first round, but this time it will continue throughout the contest. I do believe Conor is the more skilful fighter and the first round was evidence of that. But we cannot make the same mistake by trying to remove his head with every single punch.

It was a fight that was set up on short notice and it didn’t go our way, but there are certainly no regrets about going ahead with it when turning it down would have been very understandable. The entire process has been a tremendous learning experience.

If Conor had gone through his entire career without pitting his skillset against that type of opponent, there would have been no window for learning. The Jose Aldo fight in December was iconic, it was beautiful to watch and all that, but we didn’t really take away a whole lot from it.

With this one, I feel we’ve yielded months of lesson plans. It has really reignited the fire in both Conor and myself. We’re excited about training for it and we’ve made some good plans which involve some adjustments, including spending a little bit more time out in Las Vegas. We’ll make some minor changes to the training to get used to that particular opponent and we won’t be overly-reliant on Conor’s left hand to secure the result.

That was Conor’s 22nd professional fight but I probably learned more about him from it than I had in his entire career to date. We had no excuses whatsoever for the loss. Second best on the night, simple as that. It’s gone. Learn from it and move on to the next one.

The win over Max Holloway in August 2013 — the only time Conor has been to a decision — was good in that there were 15 minutes of material, but there wasn’t much back-and-forth action to dissect. Max’s aim in that fight was to survive, rather than win. Nate, on the other hand, came forward and pursued the victory.

We took a huge amount of information away from it and you don’t get that from short fights like Aldo, or even in a one-sided bout like Dennis Siver. This one was ideal as it highlighted some holes we need to fill in. As always, we win or we learn and we’ve certainly learned a lot from this one. The improvements will be very evident on 9 July.

We always knew that if Conor were ever to lose a fight, his detractors would revel in the result. To be completely honest, that hasn’t happened to the extent that I expected it to. The overwhelming theme of the majority of the messages we received was that people were blown away by the humility on display. It seemed to either turn people into new fans or just bigger fans.
        Of course, some people will want to kick you while you’re down and I don’t mind that at all. I actually wouldn’t even begrudge anybody for doing so. That’s a big aspect of the entertainment side of the sport so you have to take the good with the bad. But the feedback has been mostly positive and encouraging, and I believe Conor has actually gained support because of how he handled it.

The wins never changed Conor so I don’t believe the losses will either. His confidence is a product of the training we do so it will be there again in the lead-up to this fight, because we will train in a way that makes us feel nothing but confident. If Conor went into the last fight and was completely wiped out in every area, it would be pretty hard to be absolutely confident going into a rematch.

But the skills were there. When the strategy veered off course, that led to exhaustion and the dynamic of the fight changed. An exhausted opponent is not difficult to defeat. That’s a mistake we made. Everyone makes mistakes, but the challenge now is to ensure that we don’t repeat them. The training and the strategy will be different this time. So too will the result.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
          155 is not close to Conor's natural weight.
          That's probably his best natural fighting weight. Most of his fights have been at 155, apart from his 145 contender and title fight.

He's most natural at 155, and even 170 probably, but there'd be guys at 170 who would be too big.

Comment

Title is hilarious though.

Wasn't it Conor who said very recently that 'Winners focus on winning and losers focus on winners'? What a goddamn hypocrite. Well, maybe not. He is a loser now after all.

Maybe he should start saying 'winners focus on winning and losers obsess over winners'.

This reminds me of his now classic douche bag line 'They all become panic wrestlers' and then proceeds to panic wrestle against Diaz and get ****ed up.

What a complete **** this guy is.

This is the full line. He could not have scripted this for himself against Diaz any better if he tried. "Panic-wrestler. That's who I fight. Everytime. And if they're not a wrestler, they will become a panic-wrestler, and that's as simple as that. They all are the same. We go in, we exchange, they panic. When a human panic their first instinct is to grab. Whether they train that way or not when they get hit by me they look to grab and they don't want it no more. So i'm facing a panic-wrestler like I always face."

Comment

"The difference in the second round was down to cardio, and a cardio issue is much easier to rectify than a skill one."

This is what I find most absurd about all the recent stuff coming from Conor and his team. They had a full three month camp for the biggest fight of his career, against a guy coming into the fight on less than two weeks notice, from a trashy vacation, without having done any sparring or training since his last fight, and they are constantly talking about energy use and lack of cardio being the reason he lost...? What the **** are you idiots talking about?! Diaz didn't even have a camp and you're *****ing about no cardio?

If your championship, supposed P4P caliber fighter can't even fight for one round without gassing against a top ten contender level opponent who hadn't even trained for the fight, then it has nothing to do with cardio. That sounds like you're ****, you panicked, you got hurt or you were full of tension and couldn't handle the pressure.

Either way, fighting for 5 minutes while backing the guy up, and fighting at your own pace while winning the round, and gassing is a disgrace of an excuse.

Comment

So he will have more gas for 5rds this time lol,

After the fight he didnt want a rematch, now he does lol, its obvious he cant get over it, he will lose this match n call it a career

Comment

I think Conor might be more prepared now that he has more time to study Diaz.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    They had a full three month camp for the biggest fight of his career, against a guy coming into the fight on less than two weeks notice, from a trashy vacation, without having done any sparring or training since his last fight, and they are constantly talking about energy use and lack of cardio being the reason he lost...?
                    So you think you build up your cardio from scratch after every layoff? LOL okay.

Anyone can see Conor hasn't been many rounds & Nate has. Conor's been in 1 fight that went more than 10 minutes in his 8 year career. Nate vs Conor lasted 9 minutes. This fight was only the 4th time Conor has fought 9 minutes.

Nate's been in 11 fights (5 that earned him post fight bonuses) that have gone 15+ minutes in his 12 year career & he has the most post fight bonuses in UFC history which suggests a high octane pedal to the medal in the trenches fighting style that requires superior cardio + he trains for f#cking marathons in his spare time...for fun. Its obvious Nate's got a bigger gas tank & that his cardio just doesn't **** the bed or go to zero cuz he's in Mexico having a couple drinks. Cmon man.

Granted its fun to act like thats the case I'm sure, but I'm a fan of dealing in reality & I saw Conor winning the first round relatively one sided & most of the second round in similar fashion & Nate looking like a victim in a low budget horror movie before Nate started landing some more meaningful shots as Conor slowed & gassed.

Maybe Conor wins the rematch, maybe Conor loses the rematch, but idk how one can suggest cardio didn't factor into the first fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X