Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the greatest defensive fighter of all-time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
    I wouldn't call Pep in this list as the last I heard of him he's in a bad way with Dementia Pugilistica, and you don'tget that from being the best defensive boxer of all time. Too much has been made of him winning a rd without striking apunch, maybe apocryphal.

I'd go for Whitaker, and Locche, two top defensive experts, who9 also could score ponts. But the recognised masrer of defence has always been Jack Johnson. So that makes you'r top 3. Although I'm sire that since his time, and Locche's time there must have been a 100 defensive fighters equally as good whom are not popular with the press, so we don't hear about

But reckoned BY ME as the GREATEST of them all was a geezer named YOUNG GRIFFO

Look him up. They all had different styles and were all equally effective. Griffo the most unusual. Especial;;y when he could perform just as well when drunk as when sober. Training was lax in those times, which makes him allthe more extraordianary.
    His boxrec record gives it ar 240 fights, very many of which were NC or draws. I think those decisions were fixed befire the fights, as was VERY common in those days, and Griggio was so good that they turned out to be little more than exhibitions of his expertise. He used to make bets that a guy couldn;t hit him whilst he wa standing on a handkerchief, drunk of sober and i hear dhe hade a good licving at that.

He had namy fights against the dame guys, who's records DID NOT CHANGE since the fights ended in draws called NC's. So you'd have a guy he'd fought 20 times, with a record of 2-1-2. Things were very different in those days especially so far away as Australia.

Comment

Valero. His defense was so good that if you tried to hit him, you ended up getting knocked out.
      27 tried, 27 got KOd.

GOAT.

Comment

I wouldn't call Pep in this list as the last I heard of him he's in a bad way with Dementia Pugilistica, and you don'tget that from being the best defensive boxer of all time. Too much has been made of him winning a rd without striking apunch, maybe apocryphal.
        He has pugilistic dementia because he fought well over 200 bouts and kept on far past his prime, that does not disqualify him from the title of greatest defensive fighter of all time. The story about him winning a round without throwing a punch is a myth.
        Last edited by RubenSonny; 08-26-2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

I always say Locche. Whitaker and Pep had other things that helped them to win...Pep was a master boxer with amazing footwork and speed, and Whitaker could do pretty much everything in the book.

Locche on the other hand was a guy who didnt train and was a chain smoker. He didnt try to keep you away, he invited opponents in, his entire game was revolved around defense. He would simply sit there and let you miss over and over without bothering to throw anything back or even try to get away.

That right there is defense. And Locche didnt just have that amazing ability against weak opposition, he shut out and schooled an ATG in Antonio Cervantes with his defense.

Comment

jack Johnson - underrated
            wilfred benetiz - young dude who partied and hardly trained yet had formiddable sense of distance and natural talent coupled with awesome reflexes that aided his superb "radar" defense.

Willie Pep - unquestionable

Comment

Worth noting that Pep fought almost 2000 rounds, almost half of those after a near career ending plane crash that killed 3 of 14 people. Fracturing his leg and back, spending 4 months in a leg cast, body cast and a neck brace. Before the crash, he was 104-1-1, I believe.

All three guys mentioned had phenomenal defense, as did Wilfredo Benitez, Jack Johnson and out of current fighters Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins and James Toney.

Comment

If Floyd defense was so good than a 16 month inactive Shane Mosley wouldn't of hit him harder in the chin than Pacquiao has ever been hit. And Shane couldn't land anything on Pac who had leg cramps.

Pacquiaos defense > Gayweathers

Comment

I would have to say it's a tie between sweet Pea and Mayweather. Because the fighter that their going up agains't can be throwing a 7 punch combo and still won't hit these two fighters clean or at all. Right in front of them and it really frustrates the opponents a lot.

Comment

fmj is a great defesive fighter...

but i think there are plenty of fighter that had better defense...

Comment

Not sure but you can't menton defense without bringing up Floyd..............But out of those 3 i'd have to go with the one ive seen the most of..Whitaker

Comment

Working...
                      X