Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should boxers who fail to make weight be suspended?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
    I was going to make a thread about what Max said before the fight..This is close enough and has saved me the trouble..I completely agree with Max man,enough is enough of this unprofessional behavior and yes there should be a more stern punishment then just paying money..I want to make it clear,I believe this fight(JML vs Garcia)would have end the same regardless..It's just not fair,both are man of honer and both have signed a contract..As pro's honor you contract and do the right thing,something needs to change so that things like this stop happening..

I know Mikey is not the only one who has done this so this post goes to all of these champs..Mayweather Broner Rios etc etc..
    I agree about the outcome of the fight. It a was exactly what I expected but don't endorse or praise the tactics of not making weight and I'm not surprised. Look at Donaire, Rios and now Garcia. They all come frkm the same gym.

Comment

If you do it like the guy who fought Dzinzurik then yea. He was in double digits. That's not being unprofessional, that's not even trying.
      I think if you're in excess of 5 pounds then yea, you should receive some sort of suspension.
      That's called not even trying.
      I'm putting Garcia in the same boat as Broner. Both were off (Broner by 1.5 more than Garcia) and both decided not to make weight

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
        If you do it like the guy who fought Dzinzurik then yea. He was in double digits. That's not being unprofessional, that's not even trying.
        I think if you're in excess of 5 pounds then yea, you should receive some sort of suspension.
        That's called not even trying.
        I'm putting Garcia in the same boat as Broner. Both were off (Broner by 1.5 more than Garcia) and both decided not to make weight
        5 pounds is way too much. That's like signing to fight a 130 lbs fight and facing a 135 lb opponent. It that case the fight should be cancelled and the fightdr who failed to make weight should be suspended for a year plus sued by all affected parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
          5 pounds is way too much. That's like signing to fight a 130 lbs fight and facing a 135 lb opponent. It that case the fight should be cancelled and the fightdr who failed to make weight should be suspended for a year plus sued by all affected parties.
          Yea, 5 pounds does seem like a lot, especially with all these weight classes barely separated. I can't say 3 either because there are some weight classes separated by 3 pounds (specifically the lower ones).
          Suspension seems excessive, although it's very unprofessional to come in overweight.

Comment

i think suspension would be too much. being fined is good enough for me

150k for garica...damn thats alot!

Comment

Fighters not making weight are what promoters/management are for. If a fighter does not make weight then the fight can no longer take place within the agreed weight division and can only continue through negotiation between the two camps. If the fight does not go ahead then the promotional team who represent the offending fighter must pay whatever fines are put into place and the other fighters salary to ensure nobody is at a loss. If the fight does go ahead then it is usually through negotiation of more money for the other fighter. If this happens then that's fine, it is agreed by both guys and is no different from any other weight stipulation in a contract such as a catchweight etc. It is not up to the commission at that point to punish the offending fighter. The only punishment that should be allowed (and is) is the fighter may lose the title as he is not able to defend it within the time period/agreed upon conditions... and again that is an agreement between the fighter and the WBC/WBA/IBF etc. It is not an issue for the commission.

Comment

It comes down to professionalism all around. Before you sign to fight, you should have no doubt/uncertainty whatsoever that you can reach the agreed upon weight ( and other agreements for that matter. If you showed up to the pre-fight weigh-in and are overweight--then there should be alarms popping off everywhere. All this crap about compensation to the other fighter to keep the fight on is B.S.

I liked Mickey and I had him beating JuanMa irregardless of controversy, but he has lost my respect do to undeniable unprofessional.

Comment

Disagree. The color of his face and lack of muscle definition of his abs says he was well and had enough body fat to burn.
                  Ye...no he didn't, and I'm glad he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by supRa View Post
                    i think suspension would be too much. being fined is good enough for me

150k for garica...damn thats alot!
                    This was part of Max's point tho,most A side fighters can afford to pay the other guy 150k and not think twice about it..Which is not fair to the other guy..This is a sport built on somewhat of an honor system..If these guy's can't respect it,there should be some kinda more stern punishment in place..

Comment

Should boxers who fail to make weight in title bouts be suspended? HBO seemed to try to justify Garcia's failed attempt to make weight. Mikey gave an excused that he was ill but in my experience us humans tend to loose weight when we're ill. This fight clearly demonstrated the advantage a fighter has coming in heavier than his opponent, who did what was expected of him in making weight. Did Mikey miraculously recover from his illness and become the bigger and stronger fighter? These guys should received a more significant punishment than having to purchase the advantage of not having to make weight.
                      Absolutely. Fines are not enough, apparent by how many fighters continue to come in overweight.

These people sign legal documents that require them to be at a specific weight by a specific date and time. Yet time and time again fighters come in overweight. This is truly unprofessional and undermines the sport of boxing greatly. There needs to be much more accountability. If fighters really can't lose the weight the they should have to forfeit the match-up and potential earnings.
                      Last edited by Fistic; 06-16-2013, 07:38 AM. Reason: weight

Comment

Working...
                      X