Devon Alexander Will Be the Best Pound-For-Pound Boxer within Five Years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devon Alexander Will Be the Best Pound-For-Pound Boxer within Five Years

by Colin Linneweber

WBC light welterweight champion Devon Alexander defeated Juan “Iron Twin” Urango by an eighth round TKO to successfully defend his crown and capture the IBF title Saturday night at Mohegan Sun in Uncansville, Connecticut.

Alexander (20-0, 13 KOs) was only narrowly leading Urango (22-3-1, 17 KOs) on the judge’s scorecards before he rocked “Iron Twin” with a thunderous uppercut in the eighth round.

Urango, 29, courageously managed to get off the canvas despite being obviously dazed.

Nevertheless, Alexander landed yet another vicious uppercut on Urango moments later and the referee halted the contest with a tad more than a minute remaining in the fateful round.

“Our whole training camp we practiced that uppercut,” said Alexander, 23, who hails from the gritty streets of St. Louis. “Speed kills. I had too much speed for him.”

The three-time PAL national champion is extremely quick and powerful, and his southpaw stance will inevitably create problems for all of his future opponents.

“I’m ready for anybody now,” said Alexander. “I’ll take on Zab Judah (38-6, 26 KOs) or Tim Bradley (24-0, 11 KOs), whoever they put in front of me.”

Barring any unforeseen events, Alexander will become the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world within the next five years.

He has all the necessary tools and abilities to dominate any pugilist that he encounters in the ring.

“Alexander the Great” is ready for anybody and he is one prizefighter who will have a long and supreme reign in multiple divisions.

I disagree. Maybe in the P4P disscussion but not P4P #1
    Thoughts?

that's too bold of a statement to make right now, imo. The guy is good and he has crazy potential, but lets not jinx it.

Comment

I am pretty sure he will make the list but tough to say if he can get to the top there are a lot of factors involved in that.

Comment

I'll say if he whipes out his division he'll be in the top 10 P4P in 2 years or 3 years plus shes still young he has a bright future ahead of him

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
          that's too bold of a statement to make right now, imo. The guy is good and he has crazy potential, but lets not jinx it.
          I agree.

Colin is getting ahead of himself.

Devon still reminds me of a bigger version of Stevie Johnston.

Comment

I feel sorry for the people that jumped on Cintron's bandwagon only to find out, he was very mentally weak. And before an idiot jumps at me, no I'm not comparing Cintron to Alexander. All I'm saying is wait, he hasn't even beat Bradley yet.
            Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 03-09-2010, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thephantom5 View Post
              by Colin Linneweber

WBC light welterweight champion Devon Alexander defeated Juan “Iron Twin” Urango by an eighth round TKO to successfully defend his crown and capture the IBF title Saturday night at Mohegan Sun in Uncansville, Connecticut.

Alexander (20-0, 13 KOs) was only narrowly leading Urango (22-3-1, 17 KOs) on the judge’s scorecards before he rocked “Iron Twin” with a thunderous uppercut in the eighth round.

Urango, 29, courageously managed to get off the canvas despite being obviously dazed.

Nevertheless, Alexander landed yet another vicious uppercut on Urango moments later and the referee halted the contest with a tad more than a minute remaining in the fateful round.

“Our whole training camp we practiced that uppercut,” said Alexander, 23, who hails from the gritty streets of St. Louis. “Speed kills. I had too much speed for him.”

The three-time PAL national champion is extremely quick and powerful, and his southpaw stance will inevitably create problems for all of his future opponents.

“I’m ready for anybody now,” said Alexander. “I’ll take on Zab Judah (38-6, 26 KOs) or Tim Bradley (24-0, 11 KOs), whoever they put in front of me.”

Barring any unforeseen events, Alexander will become the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world within the next five years.

He has all the necessary tools and abilities to dominate any pugilist that he encounters in the ring.

“Alexander the Great” is ready for anybody and he is one prizefighter who will have a long and supreme reign in multiple divisions.

I disagree. Maybe in the P4P disscussion but not P4P #1
              Thoughts?
              interesting article....but hes got quiet alot of guys to fight first to make that rank...

Comment

I love how one impressive win can have so many nuthuggers come out the woodworks.

Comment

Sick of hearing about p4p rankings. It's all fantasy. I expect Alexander to be a top JWW for a while. All we can say until he fights Timothy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
                    I feel sorry for that people that jumped on Cintron's bandwagon only to find out, he was very mentally weak. And before an idiot jumps at me, no I'm not comparing Cintron to Bradley. All I'm saying is wait, he hasn't even beat Bradley yet.
                    You mean Cintron to Alexander right?

And yeah that's a valid point.

Comment

Working...
                    X