No announcement yet.

Razor Thin Fight Cotto Was Going to Get Jobbed Regardless

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razor Thin Fight Cotto Was Going to Get Jobbed Regardless

I am yet again surprised at how one sided everyone here thinks the fight was. I am a fan of both guys, in fact I picked Canelo by close UD, so got the result fairly accurate.

Why do so many of you get influenced by commentary? I wish more of you had a brain of your own. This was a close fight, why? Because when Cotto boxed especially early, Canelo couldn't do anything about it. Landing one or two flashy counters doesn't win rounds, Cotto was more consistent, outworked, and jabbed Canelo's head off in certain rounds. In other rounds he didn't do enough especially later in the fight, although I still gave Cotto a round or two in the second half of the fight. I implore you to watch the fight again if you think it was one sided.

Cotto made a mistake in the 8th round by standing and trading, but I think he only did that because he was comfortable at that point in the fight and I think he wanted to test Canelo in the trenches, he got his answer, which was that it was not a good place for him to be as for the first time he genuinely got out punched and stung a little. I think as Cotto tired, what was effective boxing in the first 6, looked more negative and less effective in the last 6. But Canelo was still not so effective. I remember thinking in about the 5th round, if this kid ever wants to be great he needs to put his foot on the accelerator right now...it never came. He could only do what Cotto allowed him to do, Cotto was in a fight with his own gas tank, yes he occasionally had defensive lapses and Canelo picked some great single shots, some counters and some leads, undoubtedly the harder shots, but Cotto was more consistent and quite often answered those singles with combinations. I had the fight even going into the last, which Canelo won and gave him the fight on my card, but I am so disappointed with his performance. He doesn't know how to force the issue and take control of the fight, he has all the moves, pull counters, good jab, lead uppercuts, great right hand, literally everything in his arsenal, yet he can't put any of it together. He got outboxed for large portions.

The other point I wanted to make was that everything stunk about the night. The scorecards, the HBO commentary, even the teleprompter showing the replays. It felt like the result was preordained and Cotto would have to dominate to get a split decision. It might seem like I am defending Cotto, and "butthurt" about the result, I can assure you I am not. Just really disappointed about the politics in the sport, again. No matter what happened before the fight, sanctioning bodies, belts, step aside money, the competition should be fair and just. As I said Cotto was never going to be allowed to win that fight, I thought the scorecards were a disgrace, an embarrassment to a very good fight and soured it once again for me.

Compubox was total horse manure also - the punch which landed more than anything in that fight was Cotto's left jab, there is absolutely no way in hell that Canelo outlanded Cotto in that fight...not a CHANCE! He may have landed a little bit less and harder, I can agree with that, but not more. Corruption is rife.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
      Compubox was total horse manure also - the punch which landed more than anything in that fight was Cotto's left jab, there is absolutely no way in hell that Canelo outlanded Cotto in that fight...not a CHANCE! He may have landed a little bit less and harder, I can agree with that, but not more. Corruption is rife.
      I hate HBO

They won't even pause their d1ck sucking of the house fighter to call a good shot the opponent just landed

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
        I hate HBO

They won't even pause their d1ck sucking of the house fighter to call a good shot the opponent just landed
        It's more fans inability to see past it for me. I guess some of these guys haven't been around boxing as long as I have, and they rely on the "experts" to show them the way. I just find the whole thing immensely frustrating, because of the politics and yeah as I said Cotto was going to get jobbed regardless. It just so turns out that most people had Canelo winning close just as I did, but could have easily seen it a draw. That shouldn't take away from the fact that the scorecards were awful, and they should be looked at. The 119-109 and 118-110 were as bad as other fights were a fighter seemed to have got robbed.

Just looking around all the major websites the scorecard I have seen most often is 115-113 Canelo. FYI for all the people saying press row had it mostly wide for Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
          I am yet again surprised at how one sided everyone here thinks the fight was. I am a fan of both guys, in fact I picked Canelo by close UD, so got the result fairly accurate.

Why do so many of you get influenced by commentary? I wish more of you had a brain of your own. This was a close fight, why? Because when Cotto boxed especially early, Canelo couldn't do anything about it. Landing one or two flashy counters doesn't win rounds, Cotto was more consistent, outworked, and jabbed Canelo's head off in certain rounds. In other rounds he didn't do enough especially later in the fight, although I still gave Cotto a round or two in the second half of the fight. I implore you to watch the fight again if you think it was one sided.

Cotto made a mistake in the 8th round by standing and trading, but I think he only did that because he was comfortable at that point in the fight and I think he wanted to test Canelo in the trenches, he got his answer, which was that it was not a good place for him to be as for the first time he genuinely got out punched and stung a little. I think as Cotto tired, what was effective boxing in the first 6, looked more negative and less effective in the last 6. But Canelo was still not so effective. I remember thinking in about the 5th round, if this kid ever wants to be great he needs to put his foot on the accelerator right now...it never came. He could only do what Cotto allowed him to do, Cotto was in a fight with his own gas tank, yes he occasionally had defensive lapses and Canelo picked some great single shots, some counters and some leads, undoubtedly the harder shots, but Cotto was more consistent and quite often answered those singles with combinations. I had the fight even going into the last, which Canelo won and gave him the fight on my card, but I am so disappointed with his performance. He doesn't know how to force the issue and take control of the fight, he has all the moves, pull counters, good jab, lead uppercuts, great right hand, literally everything in his arsenal, yet he can't put any of it together. He got outboxed for large portions.

The other point I wanted to make was that everything stunk about the night. The scorecards, the HBO commentary, even the teleprompter showing the replays. It felt like the result was preordained and Cotto would have to dominate to get a split decision. It might seem like I am defending Cotto, and "butthurt" about the result, I can assure you I am not. Just really disappointed about the politics in the sport, again. No matter what happened before the fight, sanctioning bodies, belts, step aside money, the competition should be fair and just. As I said Cotto was never going to be allowed to win that fight, I thought the scorecards were a disgrace, an embarrassment to a very good fight and soured it once again for me.
          What a rant! But Cotto lost comfortably.Keep it moving meanwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Cracaphat View Post
            What a rant! But Cotto lost comfortably.Keep it moving meanwhile.
            I would love to score round by round with some of you guys. I might make a thread, because it is clear some of you don't understand Marquess of Queensbury Rules. It is the result everyone wanted for a number of reasons, doesn't make the scoring right, and you shouldn't dismiss what I am saying. Especially with no supporting argument.

Canelo has a problem with getting off on good fighters, this was no different. I can think of 4 rounds where Canelo landed close to nothing, missed a whole lot and ate jabs.

Comment

I agree. I laugh when i'm seeing scores of 9-3 or higher. Ima try & not having boxing conversations with those posters cuz it wouldn't be the 1st time their scoring was laughable

Comment

I haven't seen the HBO version. The BoxNation commentators were giving Cotto a lot of credit for doing not a lot.

It was a clear win for Canelo. He was just better than Cotto in every department on the night.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                  I agree. I laugh when i'm seeing scores of 9-3 or higher. Ima try & not having boxing conversations with those posters cuz it wouldn't be the 1st time their scoring was laughable
                  Obviously you are a Cotto fan, and I would again stress that I have no horse in this fight, I like both guys. They both get too much stick in my opinion, but a Canelo domination is not what happened. Cotto mostly outboxed him for 6 rounds until he started to slow down, it wasn't like he nose dived either, he slowed down 15-20% not much, but just enough for Canelo to take the rounds. Canelo hurt him in the 8th and 12th, but not seriously wobbled. Cotto actually came back and won the 11th. It was a close fight.

Comment

man 11-1 was shocking to me it was close and obviously canelo won but that was crazy. Size makes a big difference cotto is really a Big WW nothing he threw looked like it made a statement, he did what he could tho. he was just too small and canelo did a good job im still not sold on him tho

Comment

Working...
                    X