Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Watch More MMA if There Were NO Wrestling/Grappling/GroundFighting?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hectari View Post
    So basically you are talking about Kick boxing.
    Basically, yea, kind of like Kickboxing.. but it could be so much more.

Comment

Originally posted by beastoverhand View Post
      I have often wondered how much more successful UFC could have been if they eliminated all the "ground fighting" (wrestling, grappling, rolling around looking for a tap-out, ground & pound, etc.). If it were purely a stand-up striking game, with some sort of knock-down system. Only punches, elbows, kicks, and knees are allowed.

Just about all of the fight fans I have had discussions with agree that the "ground game" in UFC is a major turn-off. Not many fight fans like to watch 2 guys rolling around on the ground looking for a tap-out, and nobody wants to see their favorite fighter being forced to submit from some lame-@ss armbar or w/e.

So, I'm curious, how many of you would watch more MMA if they eliminated the ground-game completely and implemented a knock-down system?

You do realize that boxing before gloves was basically MMA without the ground game. You could grab and throw an opponent - that was legal. You could forearm him - that was legal. You could throw him and forearm him as you were going down - that was legal.

There was no ground game so you couldn't ground and pound and kick and stuff. At that point the round was over (unlike MMA) and a new one started 30 seconds later.

I, for one, would really like to see how this would play out.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
        You do realize that boxing before gloves was basically MMA without the ground game. You could grab and throw an opponent - that was legal. You could forearm him - that was legal. You could throw him and forearm him as you were going down - that was legal.

There was no ground game so you couldn't ground and pound and kick and stuff. At that point the round was over (unlike MMA) and a new one started 30 seconds later.

I, for one, would really like to see how this would play out.
        Without kicks, knees, and elbows too.

Kickboxing..
        I'm talking about more than just Kickboxing here, full contact rules in American Kickboxing and International Kickboxing forbid striking with knees and elbows (rules vary by region, some allow knees). I'm basically talking about UFC without ground-fighting, stricter rules on holding/grappling, encouraging and focusing on more stand-up striking, etc.

Comment

Dude, that's why there's a sport called Kickboxing! Glory on ****e TV. Check it out sometime.

Comment

i would mma is only interesting to watch for the first minute and a half after that it's like the cable services troll you and switch it to gay ****

Comment

I'm talking about more than just Kickboxing here, full contact rules in American Kickboxing and International Kickboxing forbid striking with knees and elbows (rules vary by region, some allow knees). I'm basically talking about UFC without ground-fighting, stricter rules on holding/grappling, encouraging and focusing on more stand-up striking, etc.
              well just stick with boxing that's what you saying you want changed bout mma it's just boxing if you change all the boring stuff from that just boxing.. long live boxing!!!

Comment

i understand why people watch mma.
                but for me the skill level of mma fighter next to a boxer doesnt interest me.
                some boxers when they're washed up go the mma route.

Comment

That's true you were only allowed fists, forearms, backhands, palms and grabs. Throws, pushes, grappling and wrestling (while on your feet) were also allowed.

What wasn't allowed were blows below the waist or use of feet or leges. Above the waist only eye gouging and fishhooking were grounds for DQ. Hairpulling was "dirty" but not grounds for immediate DQ. John L Sullivan (the first gloved champion) fought a few bare knuckle (although he hated it) and in one fight he almost lost because his opponent grabbed on to his mustache, twisted his head and started pummeling him.

I would be really curious to see these rules revised.

Comment

That's the main reason I don't really watch MMA. Striking is the best part, and boxing/muay thai are much better at it.

So if you took the ground game out of MMA there wouldn't really be any point to it at all. What would be its purpose?

Comment

Never really liked k1 tbh and fighting with 6 ounce gloves wouldn't make it any better.

Comment

Working...
                      X