Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has been Roy Jones Jr.'s career-defining win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopkins was a solid win at teh moment they fough, not great.

The Toney win was a bit better for me.

But teh real defining fight for him was John Ruiz, sad to say but is the truth. Thats when RJJ was at his peak.

Sad that he never was a lineal champ, nor he had a good resume!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
      yea, but Roy arguably lost that Tarver fight.

its definitely Toney. no questions asked. Hopkins wasnt near prime form yet, and Ruiz...well, Toney beat up Ruiz worse than Roy. and Ruiz was not the best HW in the world, as Holmes was when Spinks beat him.
      He quite clearly won the Tarver fight the 1st time, the only reason a rematch took place was because it was the most competitive anyone had been with Roy in recent memory.....his best win has to be Toney followed by Ruiz, and that followed by Griffin the 2nd time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
        He quite clearly won the Tarver fight the 1st time, the only reason a rematch took place was because it was the most competitive anyone had been with Roy in recent memory.....his best win has to be Toney followed by Ruiz, and that followed by Griffin the 2nd time.
        Ive never sat down and scored it, so I cant speak for myself, but Ive heard people mention before that they thought Tarver won.

Personally, I think his win over Virgil Hill is better than the win over Griffin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
          Sad that he never was a lineal champ
          What? At 175, he was as undisputed as the word "undisputed" can possibly get.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
            Ive never sat down and scored it, so I cant speak for myself, but Ive heard people mention before that they thought Tarver won.

Personally, I think his win over Virgil Hill is better than the win over Griffin.
            I forgot about the Virgil Hill win, it was very impressive. Didn't he break Hill's ribs? I had Jones over Tarver 8-4 all rounds being competitive so someone elses score could have been closer.

Comment

Toney is his most impressive, Ruiz solidified his legacy, Griffin was his most destructive, and Tarver was his gutsiest.

The Tarver fight was close but Roy pulled away for the win in the late rounds, I though pretty clearly. Most the controversy of the fight was from Tarver saying he won.

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
                I started thinking about the great man's career last night, and whilst he's obviously HOF/ATG material, I actually found myself stuck on what to consider his greatest victory - or his best ever opponent en route to one.

So enlighten me, people. If one were to show somebody a Jones fight and say "This was Jones at his very best, fighting the the very best they could put in front of him", what would it be? I really can't figure it out.
                its gotta be capturing a HW title, even tho Ruiz is garbage, it still was the biggest highlight of his carer...

Comment

Working...
                X